The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by F4LL3N
I always do it when I am on my own, probably in places I shouldn't. Out with wiggles we end up chatting crap and I forget to... then she nudges me :tongue: but I don't like filtering at really high speeds, although motorways if pretty sparse I have done depending on where I need to be. Tbh I like just poodling and its only if time is a factor that I will usually go past everything I have the chance to. Like this morning at work :smile:

thats because you're male :tongue: :jumphug:

You're not admitting to speeding on my bike are you?
Reply 6641
Original post by Bathwiggle
thats because you're male :tongue: :jumphug:

You're not admitting to speeding on my bike are you?

Didn't speed on the SV at all today thank you very much :tongue:
Original post by mikeyd85
A couple of questions on filtering if anyone could answer. :smile:

Do you guys always filter if there is an opportunity to do so? Are there times when you simply won't filter at all? If you do filter, do you go to the very front of the queue?

I did my first bit of filtering the other day... saved a bunch of time until I reached idiot BMW driver who seemed hell bent on taking up two lanes... I just want to educate myself to the best practices of filtering so I can do it safely.

Thanks!

Not always. Depends on conditions etc.
I normally only filter through stationary traffic as well. Unlike Wiggles who has filtered on motorways where the cars are going 60+ or so i hear...

If i filter i go as far as i can reasonably before the occasional wide vehicle/BMW **** blocks my way. It's the front 9 times out of 10.
Original post by Motorbiker
Not always. Depends on conditions etc.
I normally only filter through stationary traffic as well. Unlike Wiggles who has filtered on motorways where the cars are going 60+ or so i hear...

I wouldn't be recommending Wiggles as someone to copy though (as much as I love you wife!)
Original post by Lantana
I wouldn't be recommending Wiggles as someone to copy though (as much as I love you wife!)

You'll have difficulty reaching the floor ....
Original post by Chilledice
You'll have difficulty reaching the floor ....

:confused:
Reply 6646
Okay so I finally received my license :danceboy:
But I have a newbie question .. on the back of the license it says what vehicles I can drive and stuff. So I checked the little leaflet that came with my license.
Now It says A with a picture of a motorcycle next to it, I checked the leaflet and it says A1 stands for any motorcycle under 125cc, A stands for medium sized motorcycles up to 33bhp.
So wait, does this mean I can ride anything upto 33 bhp without even passing/doing my restriction tests? :confused:

EDIT: bare in mind I'm 17 y/o :colondollar:
Original post by hamza7
But I have a newbie question .. on the back of the license it says what vehicles I can drive and stuff. So I checked the little leaflet that came with my license.
Now It says A with a picture of a motorcycle next to it, I checked the leaflet and it says A1 stands for any motorcycle under 125cc, A stands for medium sized motorcycles up to 33bhp.
So wait, does this mean I can ride anything upto 33 bhp without even passing/doing my restriction tests? :confused:

you can with an instructor, same as a car
Original post by Boristhethird
you can with an instructor, same as a car

Can a 17 year old?
Original post by Chilledice
Can a 17 year old?

oh yes, probably not, whoops.

not till you've passed
Original post by hamza7

If you've only done your cbt.. no you can't, you need to pass your test before you look at a 33bhp bike, you're restricted to 125 with max bhp of 14.6
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey guys, this has probably been asked dozens of times but...

Do I actually need to send my license away to have the restriction removed? I just jumped onto a bigger bike and rode on.

Also, what is the process for getting it removed? Dreadfully little on the DVLA website that's of any use. I started thinking about it cause of the new test thing they bring in in January. Last thing I want is for them to cock it up and land me in a "wait four years to get it back" scenario.

Does it cost anything to have it updated?

Cheers guys!
Original post by The Bagel Guy

Do I actually need to send my license away to have the restriction removed? I just jumped onto a bigger bike and rode on.

Also, what is the process for getting it removed? Dreadfully little on the DVLA website that's of any use. I started thinking about it cause of the new test thing they bring in in January. Last thing I want is for them to cock it up and land me in a "wait four years to get it back" scenario.

Cheers guys!

You don't need to get it updated

Should be free to get it updated, but i didn't bother, the license states you can ride anything bigger after x date, so you are fine just leaving it. So long as you still have your orginal pass certificate they can't object.

I think you can get the form at the post office but i'm not sure
Reply 6653
Original post by hamza7

Now when you say test....? If you did a full A1 test you used to be able to ride motorways and stuff but restricted to 33bhp (less if you were 16) and basically what Boris had (until now). If you've done a CBT only then you can only ride 125's and no motorways. Unless this has all changed too.... The fact you are 17 doesn't matter, its 17 - 21 you are restricted to 33bhp or 2 years (whichever comes soonest), 16 is a different scenario altogether mind as you are limited to 50s on a CBT.
Original post by mikeyd85
1. Do you guys always filter if there is an opportunity to do so?

2. Are there times when you simply won't filter at all?

3. If you do filter, do you go to the very front of the queue?

Thanks!

1. As often as I can. I absolutely love it!

2. Not really; I'll give most opportunities a shot :biggrin: I sometimes begin to regret my decisions but as I'm half way through, I figure it's best just to carry on. Filtering between lorries, buses etc at traffic lights is interesting...

3. I'll usually pick my way through until the flow of traffic is back to a decent speed; it usually means finding myself at the front of it all and zoooooooming off before everyone realises it's all normal again. Having said that, on the way home from Wales at the weekend, I was filtering through cars at "adequate speeds"; I don't particularly condone it but I was desperate to get home and so many buggers were hampering my progress.

Original post by hamza7

I'm very sorry but this hurt my brain. It's been a long night at work so forgive me.

I'm assuming that, as you're 17, you only have a provisional licence? In which case, no, you can't. Providing you've completed the CBT course, you can ride a motorcycle with an engine size of no more than 125cc that produces no more than 14.8bhp. Until you have pass either the A2 test (33bhp restriction for 2 years) or the DAS (Direct Access Scheme; quickest way to full powered machines for those over 21), then a 125cc is as high as you can go.

Cheers guys!

I wouldn't worry a great deal about it. The expiration date of your restriction period is clearly visible on both the photocard and paper counterpart of your licence; anyone who can read and has a vague understanding of the calender will see that you've fulfilled the two year requirement and as a result, are now free to continue on any bike you wish.

A couple of stories seem to ring bells whereby people haven't updated their licences and have got into trouble for it. If doubt Bagelface, give the DVLA a jingle and have a chat with them :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
x

Original post by LandyJon

A couple of stories seem to ring bells whereby people haven't updated their licences and have got into trouble for it. If doubt Bagelface, give the DVLA a jingle and have a chat with them :biggrin:

DVLA sounds like a good idea. The horror stories I've heard have generally been with police who -bless their cotton socks- didn't know the law surrounding motorbikes and were certain in their infinite wisdom even when incorrect.
Reply 6656
Original post by LandyJon

I'm very sorry but this hurt my brain. It's been a long night at work so forgive me.

I'm assuming that, as you're 17, you only have a provisional licence? In which case, no, you can't. Providing you've completed the CBT course, you can ride a motorcycle with an engine size of no more than 125cc that produces no more than 14.8bhp. Until you have pass either the A2 test (33bhp restriction for 2 years) or the DAS (Direct Access Scheme; quickest way to full powered machines for those over 21), then a 125cc is as high as you can go.

I meant A2, I keep thinking its A1 =)
Reply 6657
Triumph Daytona 955i owner here.
Original post by DazA
Triumph Daytona 955i owner here.

:hi: how long you been riding? where are you? do you love it? can i have a go?
Reply 6659
Original post by Bathwiggle
:hi: how long you been riding? where are you? do you love it? can i have a go?

8 years.

North Wales (I'm a lucky sod):colone:

No! :unimpressed:

Latest