The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Argh! I've lost the piece of paper I'm sposda take with me to my lesson tomorrow!
Reply 121
Original post by Bathwiggle
see how loud it is, if its not loud enough, replace it.

No idea how loud the horn is on any of my vehicles. The only person that uses it is the MOT man. :wink:
Reply 122
Original post by JC.
No idea how loud the horn is on any of my vehicles. The only person that uses it is the MOT man. :wink:

I use loud pipes, means you know its a biker you've pissed off. Also means when you bounce it off the rev limit the police next to you know that there is a pissed off biker...

I don't generally beep anyone, i did rev someone the other day who pulled forwards at the lights and stopped i hte middle of the junction, no signalling, no right turn allowed, and no reason to stop. but that was the first time since a wally pulled out when i was on a motorway and he was doing 40.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 123
horn is good, another good way is to use the pass switch for full beam on bumpy roads,because your dipped headlights can look as though they are flashing people out. treat every other motorist as a numpty
Original post by JC.
car drivers just don't see you until the last minute.

There are people like that out there who just want to mess with you for ****s and giggles.

As much as I really fancy a Harley sportster, you just can't beat a V8 for me!

Piss poor planning on their account really. For sure, we can train ourselves to get one step ahead of the bastards but they get so hyped up in their little bubbles that they forget about the more vulnerable road users, don't look ahead and anticipate the possibility of motorbikes.

Best thing to do is pull over when you can and let them get on it with. Hopefully, they'll screw up and you can laugh in their stupid faces as you ride by.

Lad on the Bikesafe course had a restricted Sportster. Absolute beast of a machine; shook more than my Nan does but the sound was incredible :biggrin:

Original post by Chilledice
I don't know if everyone else here will back me up (I hope they'll join the discussion, it's nice to have a chat about this) but in that situation you can get an instinct of when people have or haven't seen you.

It's like when you are waiting at a junction and you see a car coming along with it's left indicator on, a new road-user may pull out, a more experienced one would think that they're going too fast and wait for the car to pass you. The same applies to this, the body language of the driver, the type of car, everything gives you an idea of what will happen.

I know whenever I see a car waiting to pull out my thumb is on the horn, I'm rolling off the gas and I'm waiting to see the wheels move, if they do you hold the horn down for as long as it takes for them to stop. Of course, it depends on how close you are, if you're a few meters away you should really just stop/go round them into the oncoming lane if it's clear... What I'm trying to say is that with enough planning and experience you can overcome the majority of things that are thrown at you.

Car drivers that are trying to mess with you by getting too close? Pull over and wave them by! There is honestly a good way to deal stuff on a bike :smile:

I wouldn't do it on a harley, I'm not a cruiser guy, I'd do it on some sort of adventure bike, maybe even my little BMW. I was silly to ride it unrestricted, I'm going to miss the full-fat of 45bhp! :P

Spot on. Think I repped you for this.

Original post by Boristhethird
while on this note, my instructor for my CBT told me some hand advice, for every junction you approach, cancel your indicators and cover your horn. that way you know you haven't left your indicators on, and your ready to beep when an idiot pulls out.

Nice. I'm constantly cancelling my indicators even though I know they're not flashing. Force of habit now I suppose.

Use it; in fact, never take your thumb off of the horn

And your high beams. Another useful tool for telling the tools on the road that they're getting close to being your Siamese twin.

oh how i long for loud pipes

Get a man's bike and it might happen?
Original post by LandyJon

Get a man's bike and it might happen?

says the man on an SV...
Reply 126
says the man on an SV...

You only say that because i'm on the sv,,,, and lantana :biggrin:
Reply 127
Can't say i'm very impressed with "The bike insurer".

Tried to get cover for the Vl today... went through there process and then phoned them up to see if they could live up to their claim... They just put you through to a random insurance company on their list who say "they can't make that claim as its the underwriters who dictate the policy premium".

So, basically they advertise a service they can't deliver. Insured the bike with bennets fully comp. Lower premium and a lower excess too.

-JC.
Reply 128

Original post by JC.

Tried to get cover for the Vl today... went through there process and then phoned them up to see if they could live up to their claim... They just put you through to a random insurance company on their list who say "they can't make that claim as its the underwriters who dictate the policy premium".

So, basically they advertise a service they can't deliver. Insured the bike with bennets fully comp. Lower premium and a lower excess too.

-JC.

Really? I've been using them quite a bit to get an idea of how much it'd cost for me to insure x,y & z bike :indiff:

Typical.
Original post by JC.

-JC.

Original post by R-KAM
Really? I've been using them quite a bit to get an idea of how much it'd cost for me to insure x,y & z bike :indiff:

Typical.

As much as I hate the adverts, Gocompare are surprisingly good for finding a decent quote for bike insurance, MCN and Gocompare are my two Go-to comparison sites.

It's mad we have to compare comparison sites these days >.<
Reply 130

As much as I hate the adverts, Gocompare are surprisingly good for finding a decent quote for bike insurance, MCN and Gocompare are my two Go-to comparison sites.

It's mad we have to compare comparison sites these days &gt;.&lt;

I refuse to use them due to their adverts. I've started looking at comparethemarket, again for the adverts :lol:

You might be on to something there, good business idea. Make a compare site for the compare sites. Make your millions man :teeth:
Original post by JC.

-JC.

That's weird as whenever i've tried using bikeinsurer they always give me a cheaper price everytime...

Although for the last 3 yearsit's always been MCE insurance anyway i've ended up with which is actually not even an insurance company it's another broker...
Reply 132
:sexface:
Original post by R-KAM
You might be on to something there, good business idea. Make a compare site for the compare sites. Make your millions man :teeth:

comparethecomparingmarket dot com? You write the theme tune, Boris can sing it, Bathwiggle can be in the advert, Profit.

Original post by Texan88

HIDE! There's a foreigner here!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 134

comparethecomparingmarket dot com? You write the theme tune, Boris can sing it, Bathwiggle can be in the advert, Profit.

It can't fail! May I put myself forward for the singing though? You just have to ask the people of The Dressing Room thread for my credentials :awesome:

50/50 share split?
Reply 135
Original post by R-KAM
It can't fail! May I put myself forward for the singing though? You just have to ask the people of The Dressing Room thread for my credentials :awesome:

50/50 share split?

You could both sing?

loz is prettier than me.
Original post by Texan88

hey trouble
Reply 136

You could both sing?

We just need 3 more and we could be a boyband :beard:
Reply 137
Original post by R-KAM
We just need 3 more and we could be a boyband :beard:

texan, riderz and josh?
So... turns out I'd been technically riding around without insurance for the past week and a half.. heh.
Got a letter yesterday saying to ring MCE asap to 'discuss a matter'. Turns out the numpty that took my registration number must have got it wrong, cause the last three letters were the wrong way around, so when they did a database check no vehicle came up at all.
All sorted now though, but unbelievable how easy it is to ride around without insurance - the amount of police cars I'd ridden by as well.
Reply 139

texan, riderz and josh?

Texan can help us break the American market! Do you know if they can all dance? It's a requirement.