The Student Room Group

TSR Motorbike Society- take 3!

Come join in the motorbike society, whether you ride, like watching bike racing, or saw a pretty bike go past. We don't bite, and even if the thread seems off topic, we will always help with any bike questions.

You’re probably here as you want to know about riding a motorbike/scooter/moped. There should be all the information you need to know included somewhere in this post, although I know it’s long, there is a lot of stuff included!

Step one

Before you can get near a bike you need to obtain a provisional license. If you have a car license (full or provisional) check your paper bit, you may already have the provisional entitlement (this should show as a ‘p’ for a moped or ‘a’ for motorbike. They are different.

If you don’t have a provisional entitlement, then you can apply on-line here or get a D1 form from a post office. Once you have received this you can start your training.

New Bike test routes

Options
Options at 16 get a CBT and ride a 50cc bike or moped
Options at 17-18 get a CBT and ride up to a 125cc bike/scooter, or do your CBT, theory test and full restricted tests and ride a 125cc
Options at 19-23 get a CBT and ride up to a 125cc bike/scooter, or do your CBT, theory test and full restricted tests and ride anything that is restricted to 46.6bhp.
Options at 24+ - get a CBT or or do your CBT, theory test and DAS and ride anything.

CBT … what is that?

Theory test … But I’ve done the car one

’ I’m bored of my 125, I want something BIGGER!’

So you’ve passed your CBT/bike test and are ready to go? (Equipment)

So now am I ready, I’ve got the training and the gear?!?

License, gear bike……Insurance?

You might want some Security

How you can make biking cheaper and maintenance

Advanced Training

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Motor biking is not the cheapest hobby, you have to pay for:
-insurance
-road tax (£35-£75)
- petrol (140p a litre, normally 50mpg for me)
- plus the maintenance (new tyres front and back £250, chain and sprockets £120, chain lube £10, oil £20, oil filter £8, spark plugs £8 ish each

If you can fix bikes yourself, such as using a Haynes manual, it will work out cheaper. Good equipment lasts years, so it pays to invest if you are planning to bike long term. If you get a faired bike and you crash it, it’s going to cost a lot.

Maintenance

Members List
Bathwiggle(Tribal Queen): 2000 Suzuki SV650s
MHorman: 1998 Yamaha FZS 600"Fazer"(Red/Black)/2004 Honda CRF230(Red/Black)
Chilledice
: Had 2009 Kawasaki Ninja (Green) -Answers to the name Yoshi./ 2005 BMW F650 GS
LandyJon: 1999 Suzuki SV650s and White Street triple
Boristhethird: 1988 Honda Bros 400 Fazer
Lantana: 2007 Suzuki SV650
Smilingsam: CB125
Adamski91- Bandit
Hravan - Yamaha Vity 125
Juno GN125
F4LL3N SV650/CBR600F
Imperial_Maniac: 2012 Honda CBF125

Members without bikes:
Loz17
JollyJelly
WalkerPassingby
Darren Hyland

http://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&z=10&msid=201920847701204583419.00049d7266fcb3de1239a

Useful Links
Bike test
Government website
Bike gear
Road rash Queen, graphic images
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Ta da :biggrin:
:hi:
[quote-]
Something tells me you like angering him :teehee:

would i do a thing like that :angel:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
:h:
Reply 5
Original post by R-KAM
:h:

I'm a good girl! I don't get road rage unless people try to kil me thhten they get the finger and I get away from them

Boris I'm not commuting at the moment :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by MHorman

Original post by MHorman
Look who got the 10,000th post in the old thread... :h:

I noticed, bloody dictator (read Hitler) :colonhash:

Original post by Bathwiggle
I'm a good girl! I don't get road rage unless people try to kil me thhten they get the finger and I get away from them

Boris I'm not commuting at the moment :biggrin:

Hahaha. I'd do more than stick the finger up if they tried to kill me tbf. The guy in here was telling about the accidents he's had on his bike. One of them is foonay :colondollar:
Reply 7
Hi peoples :huff:
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
Hi peoples :huff:

hello trouble! :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by R-KAM

Hahaha. I'd do more than stick the finger up if they tried to kill me tbf. The guy in here was telling about the accidents he's had on his bike. One of them is foonay :colondollar:

Most of the time its easier to get out of their way. I've been run into the central reservation, had a woman drive on to my exhaust (she got pulled over once i managed to get her to realise i wasn't going to move because if i moved the leg holding the bike up it was going to fall, and then a mouthful), turn right in front of me (ok i followed him, stopped him driving and screamed at him) but most of the time they don't even realise they've done something wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
You're still my number one!

There has to be enough to keep both of us amused. We wouldn't want to get bored. Plus the only big bike we have is riderz and i'm not sure his bike is enough to keep the two of us going?

Just checking. I think we need a list of your harem in the OP *nods*

:drool:
Original post by MHorman
Look who got the 10,000th post in the old thread... :h:

Abuse!

JC.
Theres so many nice things out there, why stick with the same thing indefinately?

Because it's so much hassle changing and you get to know how it handles and can ride the roads better :biggrin:

Chilledice
:loveduck
Silly duck :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Lantana
Just checking. I think we need a list of your harem in the OP *nods*
:drool:

But what happens when i go, they won't get it...

it also comes like this

Landys going to buy me on :yes:
Reply 12
Original post by Lantana
Because it's so much hassle changing and you get to know how it handles and can ride the roads better :biggrin:

Hassle??? :eek::confused:
Nonsense, dealing up on something new is the best part! Then when you're bored of it in a couple of weeks deal up on something new and different. :smile:

I've had 11 cars and a bike since the start of the year. :biggrin:

Made money on everything so far too!
Reply 13

it also comes like this

Don't like it - want it in blue! Also, am I being silly, but where is the exhaust?

Original post by JC.
Hassle??? :eek::confused:
Nonsense, dealing up on something new is the best part! Then when you're bored of it in a couple of weeks deal up on something new and different. :smile:

I've had 11 cars and a bike since the start of the year. :biggrin:

Made money on everything so far too!

Odd child! Well when I next want to change my car/bike I'll let you do it for me :nods: This is most likely to be several years away.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Lantana

Odd child! Well when I next want to change my car/bike I'll let you do it for me :nods: This is most likely to be several years away.

Works out quite well for me!
Little in the way of running repairs, no servicing bills, no depriciation + you get to own / use stuff you probably wouldn't have given a seccond look to.

Then when it's time to sell you get your money back and probably make enough to cover the petrol / insurnace etc.

Casing example, last month I bought a Rover p6. Had it 29 days paid a grand for it and sold it for £2100. Back in march I bought an MG v8 for £4900 and sold it about a month and a half later for £6300.

You buy smart you have your fun and make some money in the process. :biggrin:

Next car going up for sale is probably our Porsche and if I don't make a clear 2 grand on that I'll be stunned.
(edited 12 years ago)

BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION ABOUT THE TEST/FIRST BIKE/INSURANCE/GEAR PLEASE READ THE OP, IT CONTAINS PRETTY MUCH ALL THE INFO YOU WILL EVER NEED.

surly if they are going to read that, they are already reading the OP.

Original post by Lantana
Don't like it - want it in blue! Also, am I being silly, but where is the exhaust?

under the rear sear

Spoiler

Reply 16
Landys going to buy me on :yes:

Oh yeah?

Original post by Lantana

Probably under the seat. It seems to be pretty common these days as it distributes the weight more easily. Even some of the latest 125s have got in on the act.
Chilledice
x

you haven't lost your ninja have you

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/kawazaki-ninger-250r-no-log-book/82632676

and on a lighter note, just back from cycling the 6 mile round trip to scouts.
boy that was a shock to the system, i really need to get fit again (bloody motorbikes, i used to do that kind of thing for fun!)
Reply 18
Original post by Lantana

Under the seat

Original post by Boristhethird
surly if they are going to read that, they are already reading the OP.

Well i'm hoping by putting it in caps they might look at the spoilers, rather than a quick glance and posting anyway

Original post by LandyJon
Oh yeah?

:CRY: you said you would :cry: so we could have matching ones. I'll go see if i can find the proof :colonhash:

i will reply to your pm soon, lifes kicking off again :rolleyes:
Original post by LandyJon
Oh yeah?

you did, same time as you where planning on getting a house, with a massive garage.

Well i'm hoping by putting it in caps they might look at the spoilers, rather than a quick glance and posting anyway

then you want it big, and scrolling

[scroll]like This :jebus:[/scroll]

Latest