The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

LLB (Hons) - Fees

I'm finally in a position to follow my dreams and pursue a career in Law and I've taken steps to register on a local Access to HE course run by the University of Liverpool.

Normally I'm a very practical person but I've thrown all caution to the wind and started to plan for my dream career in academia as a law professor. I know it's a difficult path to choose, I know the chances of success are low and I know it's going to take me many years of study but I really don't care anymore - it's what I've always wanted to do.

Anyway I don't really want to rule out the Open University at this stage as it offers me a much greater degree of flexibility managing my children's school routine. I also feel that the learning support is likely to be better than with a bricks and mortar University.

My only concern is the fees. I don't want to take the recommended six years to complete the undergraduate degree as I have a lot of time I can dedicate to this - I would plan more for three to four years. However the current fee model for law would mean me having to pay almost £5000 a year for 120 points (minus the £1200 fee reduction I would qualify for).

The bottom line is I can't afford this so I'm having to be a little creative. If I registered this year the £1200 will cover all of my fees but then I would be reliant on the fee changes next year opening up the student loan system to me.

As the University hasn't really offered much information about what direction it will take this leaves me guessing.

I'd really appreciate hearing some of your thoughts on my plan (a bit of sanity checking) and any other comments you might have about the quality of the OU LLB (Hons) courses.
They give you an extra course grant for the more expensive courses.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by morecambebay
They give you an extra course grant for the more expensive courses.

I'll have to look into this, I was under the impression that this could only be done once.

Quick Reply

Latest