The Student Room Group

Minimum IB points for Oxbridge?

My HE counsellor says that unless students are predicted at least 42 IB points in total, and preferably 43, 44 or 45 (!) points we shouldn't be optimistic about Oxbridge, and it would be a waste of time to apply. Is this unreasonable, as typical IB offers for Oxbridge are usually between 40-42 points?
Reply 1
Oxford offers from 38 to 42 points. You should have a higher prediction than this to get an offer.
Reply 2
Rubbish. Insofar as Oxbridge is concerned, you need to meet the minimum requirement for your particular subject. For me, I took Law, the minimum prediction had to be 38. I was predicted a 38, I still made it to the Interview process, then lost out.

To get Oxbridge's attention, you have to have a lot more in your application than just an amazing prediction. Your Personal Statement has to be convincing and amazing, your recommendation equally good and you should have a certain amount of experience in your field (if it applies) and any relevant extra curriculars that you took.

A lot of people just concentrate on their academics and forgo all the other things they could do to seem like interesting applicants to Oxbridge. My Counsellor encouraged me to explore other options beyond academic clubs when I started the IB when I asked her for her advice on getting into Oxbridge. She told me that everyone who applies to Oxbridge has amazing grades, what do you have that is a cut above the rest to make you stand out and be called back for an interview?

Hope that helps,
Arrowhead.
Original post by arrowhead
Rubbish. Insofar as Oxbridge is concerned, you need to meet the minimum requirement for your particular subject. For me, I took Law, the minimum prediction had to be 38. I was predicted a 38, I still made it to the Interview process, then lost out.

To get Oxbridge's attention, you have to have a lot more in your application than just an amazing prediction. Your Personal Statement has to be convincing and amazing, your recommendation equally good and you should have a certain amount of experience in your field (if it applies) and any relevant extra curriculars that you took.

A lot of people just concentrate on their academics and forgo all the other things they could do to seem like interesting applicants to Oxbridge. My Counsellor encouraged me to explore other options beyond academic clubs when I started the IB when I asked her for her advice on getting into Oxbridge. She told me that everyone who applies to Oxbridge has amazing grades, what do you have that is a cut above the rest to make you stand out and be called back for an interview?

Hope that helps,
Arrowhead.

What other things can you do other than great grades?
Reply 4
Original post by cheeriosarenice
What other things can you do other than great grades?

Write an amazing personal statement, have great recommendations and do extracurriculars (clubs, internships, work experience etc) that are relevant to the course you're applying for and make you stand out from the crowd. Also, read around the subject you're applying for. It could very well come up during your interview.

Much easier said than done.
Don't forget that you may also be required to sit the Thinking Skills Assessment for applications to certain subjects at Oxford or Cambridge: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/thinking-skills-assessment/tsa-oxford/preparing-for-tsa-oxford/
Reply 6
I had 42 predicted, got an interview and was dropped. I do not recommend getting your hopes up about Oxbridge, there are plenty of awesome universities.

If you want to be well prepared practice interviews with somebody who went to Oxbridge who knows the interview process (I did this and still didn't perform particularly well at interview). Show ambition and creativity in your interview. Being able to handle pressure helps a lot as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending