The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Whitworth Park 2011/12

just got offer for accommodation couple days ago...anyone one else at Whitworth Park?
I'm at Thorncliff House. :wink:

Scroll to see replies

hey, if anybody has any questions about WP - feel free to ask me!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by trouble-trouble
hey, if anybody has any questions about WP - feel free to ask me!

Hey! :wink:
I'm wondering if there's any wireless network around that area?
I really need it as I'm deciding whether I should get a phone plan with all-you-can-eat data otherwise it might cost me a lot :eek:
And how's interior environment, such as facilities etc...I guess it depends on each house right?
Thank you for your answering in advance. :wink:
Original post by izec
Hey! :wink:
I'm wondering if there's any wireless network around that area?
I really need it as I'm deciding whether I should get a phone plan with all-you-can-eat data otherwise it might cost me a lot :eek:
And how's interior environment, such as facilities etc...I guess it depends on each house right?
Thank you for your answering in advance. :wink:

no, unfortunately we have cable internet - you get a cable with your keys when you arrive. :frown: it's really annoying sometimes..

interior environment is ok, WP has been refurnished not so while ago, but you might be unlucky in case you get a kitchen without windows. this is absolutely the worst thing ever! :frown: apart from that - it's fine I guess.
and I'm pretty sure that all houses are quite similar in terms of interior environment and even the house structure, apart from Throncliffe.
Reply 4
no, unfortunately we have cable internet - you get a cable with your keys when you arrive. :frown: it's really annoying sometimes..

interior environment is ok, WP has been refurnished not so while ago, but you might be unlucky in case you get a kitchen without windows. this is absolutely the worst thing ever! :frown: apart from that - it's fine I guess.
and I'm pretty sure that all houses are quite similar in terms of interior environment and even the house structure, apart from Throncliffe.

From wot I've known about Whitworth Park, bunch of people said it's quite prison, which is really scary:frown:
however, as you mentioned it's refurnished...I think this problem might be somehow solved?
Can you tell me why almost all houses are similar except Throncliffe? cuz I will stay in there...:s-smilie:
besides, is it safe around that precinct?
Original post by izec
From wot I've known about Whitworth Park, bunch of people said it's quite prison, which is really scary:frown:
however, as you mentioned it's refurnished...I think this problem might be somehow solved?
Can you tell me why almost all houses are similar except Throncliffe? cuz I will stay in there...:s-smilie:

no, it's not a prison :smile:

Throncliffe is nicer I guess, I cant say any more than that as I havent been inside, sorry. I heard the mixed sex flats are only in Thorncliffe, too.

it is very safe around WP as it's right next to the uni - so the uni guards patrol the area, and WP also has its own security people. there were a couple of accidents when the money were stolen near the ATM by some guys, but it happened only twice this year. as long as you are cautious, you'll be fine!
Reply 6
no, it's not a prison :smile:

Throncliffe is nicer I guess, I cant say any more than that as I havent been inside, sorry. I heard the mixed sex flats are only in Thorncliffe, too.

it is very safe around WP as it's right next to the uni - so the uni guards patrol the area, and WP also has its own security people. there were a couple of accidents when the money were stolen near the ATM by some guys, but it happened only twice this year. as long as you are cautious, you'll be fine!

Thank you for all your precious information. :wink:
I really appreciate it!! just can't wait and feel super excited about everything...
Reply 7
Original post by izec
just got offer for accommodation couple days ago...anyone one else at Whitworth Park?
I'm at Thorncliff House. :wink:

How come people are getting offers already?!!!

Did you have an unconditional offer from the uni or something?
Reply 8
Original post by izec

I think the prison reference is mainly to the design of the rooms (its sort of white painted bricks, so it does give that feel) and the level of protection, which is a good thing. My major friend group at uni all lived in Whitworth Park and they found it alright, I doubt you'd have a problem :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by acat

They are the ones with unconditional offers .... People from abroad who get their grades earlier, people on Gap years etc .

I got mine just two days after I got my unconditional offer :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by acat

Well..the staff told me that students are able to receive offer for accommodation starting from mid-June and no later than the end of July...so I think you will simply get it lately!
yah you're right! I've already got uncon offer.
Reply 11
Original post by O.C.
I think the prison reference is mainly to the design of the rooms (its sort of white painted bricks, so it does give that feel) and the level of protection, which is a good thing. My major friend group at uni all lived in Whitworth Park and they found it alright, I doubt you'd have a problem :smile:

Thanks for your information..
I guess I'll like it anywayz cuz it has a really nice location...
Reply 12
Original post by izec

The area you'll be in is pretty safe, uni security are always patrolling the area. It's not really a prison; anyone who is unlucky enough to end up living in Oak House (Fallowfield) will be living in a prison, but WP is fine!
Reply 13
Original post by Strangey
The area you'll be in is pretty safe, uni security are always patrolling the area. It's not really a prison; anyone who is unlucky enough to end up living in Oak House (Fallowfield) will be living in a prison, but WP is fine!

glad that you said it's quite safe!
honestly I applied to Oak House as my 2nd preference cuz I felt like everyone who's stayed there before really recommends it! it's said that staying there will have lots of fun, be really sociable...etc. I reckoned those are advantages?!
Reply 14
I also live in whitworth park, I think it is really a convinent place:smile:
Re: it looking like a prison: it will if you don't put any personal stuff in your room - on the walls, on shelves etc. Once you do that, you forget that the walls aren't plastered and it'll feel like home.
Reply 16
Hi!
2 questions, firstly, why does the accomodation website state moving in date for withworth park as semester 2? does anyone know the move in dates?
secondly, what sort of facilities are there in withworth park? (:
Reply 17
Yep I'll be there this fall. Just got my offer. Don't know what it means though. LE.B.02.D
If I get accepted I've put WP as my 1st choice. Hope I'll be seeing y'all in september!
Original post by Phina

Original post by Phina
Hi!
2 questions, firstly, why does the accomodation website state moving in date for withworth park as semester 2? does anyone know the move in dates?
secondly, what sort of facilities are there in withworth park? (:

That'll be for the students that moved in this January

There's a bar, a computer cluster/reading room, a gym, a piano/music room, laundry and they have free fitness classes - this year we got free yoga and tai chi classes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending