The Student Room Group

Psychology PSYA4 - Research Methods Question - 21/06/11.

Hey, just sat this mornings exam. Quick question, did anyone not realise that there was a page on the back for research methods? About a third of my year didn't see it, another third saw it within the last ten minutes and didn't have enough time to answer the question sufficiently. I'm so annoyed. Looks like I wont be going to Uni anymore.

I understand that you should always check the back but you're in exam conditions you are pressured. I checked the paper first to see the questions I needed to answer. The questions ended at the top on the last page. Usually exam boards right in big letters in the centre of the page to turn over for further question. This time there was no indication. I've spoken to others that saw the question last minute and they said that they can't recall seeing instructions to turn over, they were just lucky enough to see it in time. I agree with you that is is has been said to students several times to check front and back but I think in this instance, the fact that so many people have missed it from numerous exam centres in the UK means that regardless, grade boundaries will decrease in accordance to the majority.

Please get back to me if anyone else experienced this.

Sarah
Reply 1
Original post by SarahAnne
Hey, just sat this mornings exam. Quick question, did anyone not realise that there was a page on the back for research methods? About a third of my year didn't see it, another third saw it within the last ten minutes and didn't have enough time to answer the question sufficiently. I'm so annoyed. Looks like I wont be going to Uni anymore.

I understand that you should always check the back but you're in exam conditions you are pressured. I checked the paper first to see the questions I needed to answer. The questions ended at the top on the last page. Usually exam boards right in big letters in the centre of the page to turn over for further question. This time there was no indication. I've spoken to others that saw the question last minute and they said that they can't recall seeing instructions to turn over, they were just lucky enough to see it in time. I agree with you that is is has been said to students several times to check front and back but I think in this instance, the fact that so many people have missed it from numerous exam centres in the UK means that regardless, grade boundaries will decrease in accordance to the majority.

Sarah

Helloo! exactly the same situation as you!
I had to be moved from my exam and re-start cause i was ill :/ and when i got back around to it i was hardly in the right frame of mind to concentrate but i answered all the questions bar the last page which i missed.
On all the past papers the research methods have been spread across two pages, so i didnt even think/notice to check the last page.
But dont worry - the boundaries last year were extremely low, and will dip slighlty more this year because of what you said rightly - lots of people did this.

It's bugging my mind but there's lots of people in the same dilemma as me and you, and if your other answers were good then i'm sure you will be just fine.

P.s - best you don't think about it too much :P
Reply 2
After Question 23 it says in bold:

Section C continues on the next page

Not quite sure what you're complaining about. Why should grade boundaries be lowered just because some people can't read?
Reply 3
Sorry to hear but it did say :/ but it was a lot smaller than normal but there was an indication..
Original post by aqaguru

Not quite sure what you're complaining about. Why should grade boundaries be lowered just because some people can't read?

How does it harm you in ANY way if grade boundaries are lowered? :lolwut:
Reply 5
Original post by SarahAnne

Sarah

Yeah, my mother is a psychology teacher,and apparantly the psycholgy-teaching world has eruupted in fury. All th teachers are writing to the board complaining- make sure your teacher does as well. Hopefully, they will deduct the marks from the paper total!
So don't worry, loads of people did this, and you could still have done OK overall.
Good luck...
Reply 6
Erupted in fury for some of the students not being able to follow simple instructions? AQA will laugh at them
Original post by aqaguru

Original post by aqaguru

I think it was mainly because of the page formatting,they left a HUGE gap between questions and this is certainly misleading,especially in a stressful situation.
Reply 8
Original post by avig613
Yeah, my mother is a psychology teacher,and apparantly the psycholgy-teaching world has eruupted in fury. All th teachers are writing to the board complaining- make sure your teacher does as well. Hopefully, they will deduct the marks from the paper total!
So don't worry, loads of people did this, and you could still have done OK overall.
Good luck...

Sorry but deduct marks from the papers total? What about the students who actually managed to read the writing and complete the other side, will those marks not be counted?

Nobody in my college didn't find the back page, and my psychology teacher thought it was one of the nicest papers she had seen - no complaints over here!
Reply 9
Original post by im1190

Original post by im1190
Sorry but deduct marks from the papers total? What about the students who actually managed to read the writing and complete the other side, will those marks not be counted?

Nobody in my college didn't find the back page, and my psychology teacher thought it was one of the nicest papers she had seen - no complaints over here!

So I don't know exactly how it works,but I knowthat if lots of teachers complain, there are things which can be done (I wanted to show the OP there is hope!). If most people found it, they will maybe not change anything.
The actual questions were very fair, and I'm happy your college felt it went well.
Reply 10
Original post by avig613
So I don't know exactly how it works,but I knowthat if lots of teachers complain, there are things which can be done (I wanted to show the OP there is hope!). If most people found it, they will maybe not change anything.
The actual questions were very fair, and I'm happy your college felt it went well.

Yeah I'm not trying to be fussy or annoying, but I just think when it says that the question continues on the other side this cannot be seen as unfair to people! Should we really need to be told to turn over a piece of paper! How did you find it anyway? :smile:
Reply 11
It did say, although I did see the last few Qs by accident. The writing saying to turn over was small.
Reply 12
Original post by xxrosie-ameliaxx
I think it was mainly because of the page formatting,they left a HUGE gap between questions and this is certainly misleading,especially in a stressful situation.

There needed to be a big gap because the last page was all one big question that would not have fitted in that gap, you would have constantly had to keep flipping the page over which would have been annoying and distracting.

As others have said it stated to turn over for the next question but surely even if it hadn't you could have guessed that those 2 pages didn't add up to 35 marks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending