The Student Room Group

Nursing Applicants 2012 intake

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by NatashaB5051
hey there im applying for sep 2012 child nursing :smile:

i was looking at books too to get an idea and was told the royal marsden book is good and the common foundation of nursing book. Is the ross and wilson book any good for child nursing i thought it was more adult ? what work experience did you have and a levels did you take if you don't mind me asking ?

I forgot about the A-Level part of your question!

I have A Levels in English, Geography and Economics and AS Levels in Maths and Use of Maths.

On paper I don't think I am an obvious student nurse candidate!!!
Reply 21
Original post by CaseyJ
Yes, since I have registered on this site and read some topics I can see the Royal Marsden book is really recommended, I will be getting a copy soon although with 9 months still to go before I start I am in immediate rush!

The Ross and Wilson book is a decent book, I got it more for the purpose of familiarising myself with the anatomy and actually pronouncing the words, which is what some nursing students said on my uni entry exam day. I haven't had the chance to read through it all yet but it is more adult-focused.

In terms of work experience, as this is a career change for me I have little to no healthcare experience. I was a trainee accountant for 4 years after leaving school, decided it wasn't for me and now work in admin for Children's Social Services, thus the inspiration to be a children's nurse. I had applied for a volunteer job at a local hospital as a way to get more experience but so far it's not going very well because the hospital keep cancelling the interviews! I basically used my personal experiences and encounters with nurses to support my application.

Where are you applying to?

I'm a career changer too! After 5 years of doing mind-numbing admin work I am taking charge of my life, lol!
I am hoping to volunteer too, though it's hard finding the time when I am still at work.
i applied but withdrew so if you need any help let me Know :smile:

Which did you apply for the K101 or Nursing? Thanks :smile:
Original post by CaseyJ
I have a place on the Children's Nursing degree course at Greenwich University. Start date is May 2012!! I am very excited :smile:

I'm 24 and have been working since I finished my A-Levels so this is a career change for me.

I have already started buying books (while I have the money):
The Student Nurse Handbook (2nd ed) - Amazon - £10.92
Bailliere's Nurses' Dictionary - Amazon - £3.49
Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness - Amazon - £6.74

The Student Handbook and Anatomy book were from Amazon traders and the Anatomy book was 2nd hand (like new) because the brand new versions were a bit pricey.

I have also subscribed to Nursing Standard online and I receive their magazine. It's a MASSIVE resource with leaftlets, archives and news!

I would love to hear from fellow Child Nursing students and anyone who will be studying a NUrsing course with Greenwich next year!

Thanks I've been wanting to have a look at some books but was unsure which ones to go for, these look good thanks :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by harrietj

Oh gosh, that's a good idea to get work experience with brownies/guides. I never really thought off that. I did a weeks work experience in a Creche in year 10. Do you think I could include that on my PS or is that a bit out dated?!

i think you should mention it and then you can talk about it in interviews just dont go into alot of detail on it as thats what the interviews are for :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by CaseyJ
Yes, since I have registered on this site and read some topics I can see the Royal Marsden book is really recommended, I will be getting a copy soon although with 9 months still to go before I start I am in immediate rush!

Where are you applying to?

Im applying to;

Manchester
York
Sheffield
Northumbria
teeside or edgehill
Reply 26
Original post by Michelle387
Which did you apply for the K101 or Nursing? Thanks :smile:

I applied for child nursing through ucas
I applied for child nursing through ucas

Did you get a place or are you re-applying? I'm applying for adult nursing the application itself isn't too bad just struggling a bit with the PS just don't know what to write, good job got plenty of time to work it out lol :smile:
Reply 28
no I withdrew but I did attend a few interviews so I have a good idea what they are looking for and what I need to get into the places I want to go. Have you tried the ucas template for personal statement that's how a lot of people do there's and it is easy to follow.
no I withdrew but I did attend a few interviews so I have a good idea what they are looking for and what I need to get into the places I want to go. Have you tried the ucas template for personal statement that's how a lot of people do there's and it is easy to follow.

Thanks no I haven't looked at the UCAS template will go have a look at that now thanks, what unis did you have interviews at? how did they go?
Reply 30
Original post by Michelle387
Thanks no I haven't looked at the UCAS template will go have a look at that now thanks, what unis did you have interviews at? how did they go?

i attented interviews at manchester and northumbria university and got through to the final stage (where they keep applications after interviews) for manchester before i withdrew and they went really well
i attented interviews at manchester and northumbria university and got through to the final stage (where they keep applications after interviews) for manchester before i withdrew and they went really well

I got to that stage too but didn't get a place at Manchester, but they have upped their entry requirements for next year, I phoned and would not be considered for a place next year even though they told me I was 1 mark off being offered a place this year! So just check what you need - good luck
I got offered a place at my 1st choice via a phone call on Thursday :smile: whats meant to be and all that...
Reply 32
Oh that's good. Biology is a really strong subject to have for Nursing - stupidly I am not doing it.

Work experience wise I have the following:

-Volunteer as a first aider with St John Ambulance
-1 weeks work experience in MIU (Minor Injuries Unit)
-2 weeks work experience on an elderly patient ward.

I want more experience though. Preferably in children but I just can't get any ANYWAY! :frown:

I did voluntary work at a Children's hospice (90 mile round trip each Saturday), a disabled children's holiday club, a secondary school for children with special needs, a mobility class at my old primary school, a placement in the community with my local hospital OT dept. I contacted them and offered to be a volunteer. Try your local Sure start centre, special needs schools, etc, My hospice position started off as a helper in the kitchen making the kids and families lunch and then over a few weeks I was asked to join the care team. Keep trying, Im sure something will come up. Good luck.
Hey everyone,

Thought i would start this thread for all the nursing applicants thinking of appplying for the 2012 intake. Gives us all a chance to discuss where we are all going, ucas application,hints and tips, predicted grades and help each other through the long stressfull process :smile:.

Good luck :smile:

Hello :smile:

I already have an unconditional offer from UClan to study the BSc hons adult nursing, I deffered my entry to Sept 2012 as I am in the army and need to give roughly a years notice when i sign off.

If anyone has any questions about the interviews etc, feel free to ask.
Reply 34
Hi all, great thread!
I plan to apply next year taking Biology, Chemistry and Hitsory this year (did maths at AS), but struggling for work experience at the moment. Hoping to get some in place before I finish my personal statement so I can add it in. The work experience already mentioned sounds great, just wondered what everyone else is doing? I work weekends and occasional evenings at hospital clinic sessions just doing admin/reception stuf but need something obviously more clinical. I thought about volunteering through NHS but you have to be 18, same with most of the local hosipices round here. Any ideas?

I'm hoping to apply to Manchester, De Montfort, Nottingham and Sheffield Hallam at the moment. Although i've still got a couple of places to look round :smile:

Look forward to chatting through the next few stressful months!
Reply 35
Original post by MsBlob
Hi all, great thread!
I plan to apply next year taking Biology, Chemistry and Hitsory this year (did maths at AS), but struggling for work experience at the moment. Hoping to get some in place before I finish my personal statement so I can add it in. The work experience already mentioned sounds great, just wondered what everyone else is doing? I work weekends and occasional evenings at hospital clinic sessions just doing admin/reception stuf but need something obviously more clinical. I thought about volunteering through NHS but you have to be 18, same with most of the local hosipices round here. Any ideas?

I'm hoping to apply to Manchester, De Montfort, Nottingham and Sheffield Hallam at the moment. Although i've still got a couple of places to look round :smile:

Look forward to chatting through the next few stressful months!

Sounds great to me. All I would say is just try getting work experience with people! Are you applying for Adult or Child nursing? The A Levels you are doing sound fab to me.

I am doing Maths Psychology and Health and Social Care.
Reply 36
Sounds great to me. All I would say is just try getting work experience with people! Are you applying for Adult or Child nursing? The A Levels you are doing sound fab to me.

I am doing Maths Psychology and Health and Social Care.

I am applying for Adult nursing :smile:
Reply 37
Hey :smile:
I'm hoping to apply for adult nursing for 2012, excited :biggrin:

I'm doing french, home economics and health and social care at A level. Also have AS chemistry.

Applying for Leeds, Nottingham, Hull and 2 out of Queens, Huddersfield and Sheffield Hallam.
I've done some work experience in a hospital and I'm currently trying to sort out some voluntary work in a nursing home.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Hi everyone.

I am going to apply for nursing next year. However I am still undecided if I should apply for Adult or Children's Nursing. I know that you have more chances of getting a job when you are an Adult nurse and the places for Children's Nursing are very competitive. I still need to start writing my PS and I am not looking forward to it.

Currently I am studying K101 with the OU and my exams are next month. Then I have to sort out the references. I dont have any care experiences, other than looking after my own children. But I am a volunteer at the local children's centre and help out as and when I can.

Hope to make some new friends, who are going the same thing as me.

I am going to apply for New Bucks Uni, TVU, LSBU, Greenwich.
Reply 39
Im doing biology, chemistry and ict for a levels..applying for child nursing, i got work experience but trying to sort out a last min place for myself at a childrens nursery....i dont know what to expect in interviews O-O

Quick Reply

Latest