The Student Room Group

Nursing Applicants 2012 intake

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katypurples1012
Hi guys!

I'm applying again for Children's Nursing :smile: Yep, didn't succeed the first time round but I am determined!

I have just completed a L3 BTEC National Diploma in Children's Care Learning & Development with a DDD, so I will be able to get an unconditional offer straight away hopefully....

I have my personal statement written and shall be using it again for this cycle, but just adding on the voluntary work etc I shall be doing this year. So if anyone is writing from that sort of background I am happy to help :smile:

I applied for Bournemouth, Cardiff, Plymouth, Worcester and Southampton.... But I shall be swapping Worcester for Birmingham City this year :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone!

Were you unable to gain entry with a DDD at level 3? :O
Original post by KingGoonIan
Were you unable to gain entry with a DDD at level 3? :O

Oh, no they liked me academically :colondollar: I got interviews for all my options, except Cardiff....

I just need to learn more about nursing and things really, which I didn't really do when I applied before. I have loads of experience with children, including those of severe special education needs, but I wasn't really ready I guess....There is so much emphasis upon your interpersonal skills and being able to handle the stresses of nursing etc..... Seems you practically have to be Florance Nightingale before you even apply :tongue:

But I am determined to get there next UCAS cycle :biggrin:
Original post by katypurples1012
Oh, no they liked me academically :colondollar: I got interviews for all my options, except Cardiff....

I just need to learn more about nursing and things really, which I didn't really do when I applied before. I have loads of experience with children, including those of severe special education needs, but I wasn't really ready I guess....There is so much emphasis upon your interpersonal skills and being able to handle the stresses of nursing etc..... Seems you practically have to be Florance Nightingale before you even apply :tongue:

But I am determined to get there next UCAS cycle :biggrin:

I'm so worried about interviews (if I get them) I started to apply today to UCAS. People keep trying to reassure me but I'm so worried. I've worked in stressful conditions before and found it fun because it's a challenge but an interview is just a completely different kind of stress. :eek:
Reply 63
Original post by KingGoonIan
I'm so worried about interviews (if I get them) I started to apply today to UCAS. People keep trying to reassure me but I'm so worried. I've worked in stressful conditions before and found it fun because it's a challenge but an interview is just a completely different kind of stress. :eek:

Really, really don't worry about the interviews. I was really bricking it but prepare yourself, rehearse your answers to standard questions like why you would be a good nurse, what skills, give examples etc. Look up the health news on BBC news and don't be afraid to speak up. I found that I wasn't asked a direct question like "what would make you a good nurse", more a discussion about nursing and everyone being asked to contribute so you can generally bounce of each other which is easier. Remember how much you want the place and take a deep breath and go for it. And don't forget to smile. :smile: Everyone is really nice, everyone is anxious to begin with, it's actually quite good fun. I made friends on my interview days (some people you saw more than at one interview) and now theyre on my course. :smile: Good luck. :smile:
Reply 64

Me, me, me.

Applying for adult, if I ever get my personal statement polished to my personal tutor's liking (although she is a bank nurse so I suppose she knows how to sell a person for a nursing degree, lol.) I am taking psychology, english language and ocr national diploma level 3 in health, social care and early years. Got fairly decent grades last year, couple of c's, a d and a distinction. Fairly confident I can pull off some of the grades I've seen.

Looking at applying to Leeds, Birmingham, Nottingham, Northumbria and one of York/Worcester.
Royal Marsden book - great once you are actually on your course but until you have the opportunity to put t skills into practice ...

I'm suprised people are still rcommending Ross and Wilson rather than something like Tortora for the A+P text, there's nothing wrong with Ross and Wilson but it's not as comprehensive a text as others...
Reply 66
im hoping for a A,C,C in ict, chem and bio respectively fingers crossed, i think this is gonna be the hardest yr of my life. apparently one of my friends told me that the nursing course is easier than the science a levels :O
Original post by SoftMusk
im hoping for a A,C,C in ict, chem and bio respectively fingers crossed, i think this is gonna be the hardest yr of my life. apparently one of my friends told me that the nursing course is easier than the science a levels :O

historically there has been less of a 'basic sciences' emphasis in pre-reg Nursing programmes, however this is increasingly changing as Nurses become more and more responsible for things that pre EWTD were done by House officers e.g. looking at results to guide fluid rates and choice ...

for every 'easy' subject in Nursing you will probably find that you will struggle with another subject, you have to perform to standards in life sciences and social sciences and be able to apply them in practice placement settings you have to take on the wider professionalism and management agenda and be able articulate your decision making, being a good 'bedside' nurse is not longer sufficient you have to be able to grasp the science and at least understand the wider organisational picture.
Reply 68
Hey I'm wanting to do child nursing course next year at a uni in glasgow :smile: I'm wondering has anyone got work experience and if so, what did you do?
Hi all

Just thought id say Im starting my nursing degree on Monday at UEA :smile: if anyone wants any help quote or message me
Original post by Rosmi
Hey I'm wanting to do child nursing course next year at a uni in glasgow :smile: I'm wondering has anyone got work experience and if so, what did you do?

Hi :smile:
i am looking to do child nursing tooo, hoping to apply to kings, cardiff, keele, dundee not sure about the 5th one
ive done work experience at a nursery at the moment and yourself? :smile:
Reply 71
I've had work experience at a maternity hospital because I'm also applying for midwifery but I did get to go to an intensive care baby unit for a day which I enjoyed
Reply 72
hi!! i am really hoping some lovely person here could give me a bit of help! i really want to do a nursing degree and i am currently doin a foundation course in nursing here in ireland but because the irish colleges dont have much nursing places i will have to apply to college in england. i have been researching for months on english colleges but i cant find any relevant info? i want to do childrens nursing so im just wondering if anyone could tell me or direct me where to look for things like colleges with good childrens nursing courses, how much students do they take, is nursing courses free to us irish, entry requirements and also i would like to be in a safe city as i am a bit of a country girl? i am currently considering queens belfast, edinburgh uni, uni of anglia in norwich and cardiff? are these colleges difficult to get into or any advice at all? my career guidance teacher is terrible!! :smile:
Reply 73
Hey, Im in the same position as ya! Im from Ireland as well hoping to go study Adult nursing in London all going well :smile: Are you applying for Sept entry?
Reply 74
Original post by Charliejl1982
Hi all

Just thought id say Im starting my nursing degree on Monday at UEA :smile: if anyone wants any help quote or message me

I'm applying to UEA, I've done some work experience in nursing homes and primary schools and helped with children with disabilities. I was wondering what other work experience to do? And what they look for and what the interviews are like? :smile:
Reply 75
I want to do adult nursing, and I have done some work experience but need to get more. I'm scared about the interviews as I'm fairly shy anyway and more worried about the group discussions! Also I'm really stuck on my personal statement, I don't know how to word it or what to write! Anyone else applying to UEA, Hertfordshire, Manchester or Anglia Ruskin? :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by kelleyanne
Hey, Im in the same position as ya! Im from Ireland as well hoping to go study Adult nursing in London all going well :smile: Are you applying for Sept entry?

yea i am! im doing a plc now but they arnt telling us anything! they havnt even really mentioned college and iv been doing it 3 weeks now which is sort of rediculous considering the ucas deadline for sept entry is 15 jan and ALL of the things you need to do for ucas like personal statements and all of that!! do you know anything atal about applying to ucas? :smile: because im lost :smile:
Reply 77
I know theres sooo much to do when your applying by yourself... Im confused by the whole ucas thing still trying to get my head around it! :smile: I was going to do pre nursing or something but then decided not to, im just going to apply for feb entry and hopefully get in I've experience working in a nursing home so might swing it for me :smile: They'd prob be slow 2 mention going on 2 college anyway...wher u thinkin in england ?
Reply 78
Original post by kelleyanne
I know theres sooo much to do when your applying by yourself... Im confused by the whole ucas thing still trying to get my head around it! :smile: I was going to do pre nursing or something but then decided not to, im just going to apply for feb entry and hopefully get in I've experience working in a nursing home so might swing it for me :smile: They'd prob be slow 2 mention going on 2 college anyway...wher u thinkin in england ?

yea there is you have to get statements from your principal and everything and the bother of that!! my sister applied to ucas last year though so when she comes home from scotland next month im hoping she might help me a bit!! i have no experiance yet but in the plc we have work experiance for two weeks so im hoping to get into a childrens unit in a hospital!! i was thinking belfast but not so much anymore so im sort of going in the direction of edinburgh, uea in norwich, cardiff and still looking into other colleges! what about yourself? :smile:
Reply 79
I'm in the second year of my (evening) Access course, about to apply to Mental Health Nursing at DMU, Nottingham and Northampton :biggrin: Would I be likely to see any of you TSRers there?

btw, we do select option5 of the funding section, right? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending