The Student Room Group

Nursing Applicants 2012 intake

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Gra

yea there is you have to get statements from your principal and everything and the bother of that!! my sister applied to ucas last year though so when she comes home from scotland next month im hoping she might help me a bit!! i have no experiance yet but in the plc we have work experiance for two weeks so im hoping to get into a childrens unit in a hospital!! i was thinking belfast but not so much anymore so im sort of going in the direction of edinburgh, uea in norwich, cardiff and still looking into other colleges! what about yourself? :smile:

Aw sure thats grand you'l hav a bit of help so.. Im so confused bout the whole but Im sending emails off the whole time so hopefully someone will be able to help :smile: Well I was thinking London, City Uni or South Bank cos I want to start in Feb but Im still not sure Im trying to find more info about the colleges and Im worried about starting in Feb in case I miss the whole freshers thing!! If theres anyone else starting in Feb /March let me know!!! :smile:
Original post by Skip_Snip
I'm in the second year of my (evening) Access course, about to apply to Mental Health Nursing at DMU, Nottingham and Northampton :biggrin: Would I be likely to see any of you TSRers there?

btw, we do select option5 of the funding section, right? :smile:

Aye we do select 5 I checked with my ucas adviser at college other day.
How much do we actually have to pay for our nursing degree?
Reply 83
Original post by KingGoonIan

nursing is free in the uk as long as you are a uk/eu citizen :smile:

and kellyanne, i think its like a whole new thing all over again in feb for freshers :smile: or else u never know they could have rag week over there too :smile:
its so hard picking a college isnt it! there is so much of them, especially when you have no clue about england or the cities or anything like myself! goin over to edinburgh in december anyway so might go around the campus and get an idea of where things are and what the city is like :smile:
Reply 84

The NHS should pay your fees. If you're doing the degree then you'll be income assessed for a NHS bursary and can also apply for the minimum SLC Maint. Loan. Gives me about £6k a year to live off.
Quick question - what does it mean to be an assisted student?

And also, if we work part time does that mean we don't get anything at all? I was estimated £2500, which would just about cover me getting to university and a bit towards my car; but I need to work as well, I just won't be able to afford anything otherwise.
Reply 86
Original post by Gra
nursing is free in the uk as long as you are a uk/eu citizen :smile:

and kellyanne, i think its like a whole new thing all over again in feb for freshers :smile: or else u never know they could have rag week over there too :smile:
its so hard picking a college isnt it! there is so much of them, especially when you have no clue about england or the cities or anything like myself! goin over to edinburgh in december anyway so might go around the campus and get an idea of where things are and what the city is like :smile:

Yeah its so confusing!!The only reason Im going with London is cos my mam studied nursing there and she loved it :smile::smile: Havent heard much about people studying there so Im not sure, hopefully Ill get to visit before I go! Yeah I was looking at Edinburgh and Cardiff as well, have you looked into funding at all do you know what the story is for Irish people?? Was looking it up and I know we get the fees paid for but are we able to get a bursary or even a loan?? :smile:
Thanks to the two posters who told me the degree is free, I'd quote you both at the same time if I knew how, instead I have repped you :smile:

I want this degree even more now, if that were possible.
Reply 88
Thanks to the two posters who told me the degree is free, I'd quote you both at the same time if I knew how, instead I have repped you :smile:

I want this degree even more now, if that were possible.

What kind of Nursing do you want to go into? where do you wanna do your degree? :smile:
What kind of Nursing do you want to go into? where do you wanna do your degree? :smile:

Adult branch, applying to York, Surrey, Nottingham, Northumbria and dunno where else :smile:

How about yourself?
Reply 90
Adult branch, applying to York, Surrey, Nottingham, Northumbria and dunno where else :smile:

How about yourself?

Mental Health, applying to Nottingham, Northampton, DMU and also dunno where else :P My preference is Nottingham

Haha for the core units wouldn't it be amusing if we ended up in the same classes :P
Original post by izzyx
I'm applying to UEA, I've done some work experience in nursing homes and primary schools and helped with children with disabilities. I was wondering what other work experience to do? And what they look for and what the interviews are like? :smile:

It's not how much you do it's what u learned from the experience. I only did 2 days observation. Interview is ok just prepare loads on what UEA is like, how they teach the course , nmc, and the latest news in nursing, good luck!
I have a deferred unconditional entry to Bournemouth University to do MH Nursing. :yep: I'm so excited! :h:
Reply 93
I've always wanted to do Nursing from a young age and have had lots of experience in it. Enjoyed it all.

However the last couple of years, since i started my A Levels, I have wanted to be a Paramedic. (Also have work experience with ambulance services and in MIU.

I've written my personal statement for Paramedic but am now SOOOO unsure! I don't know whether I'm making the right decision doing Paramedic Science.

Maybe Nursing is more for me?
AHHH I DONT KNOW -_-
Reply 94
Original post by hhh123
I've always wanted to do Nursing from a young age and have had lots of experience in it. Enjoyed it all.

However the last couple of years, since i started my A Levels, I have wanted to be a Paramedic. (Also have work experience with ambulance services and in MIU.

I've written my personal statement for Paramedic but am now SOOOO unsure! I don't know whether I'm making the right decision doing Paramedic Science.

Maybe Nursing is more for me?
AHHH I DONT KNOW -_-

Well why did you want to do into being a Paramedic rather than Nurse, any particular thing that changed your mind?

Bear in mind - Paramedic Science is MUCH more competetive, with less places and more hopefuls
Reply 95
Well why did you want to do into being a Paramedic rather than Nurse, any particular thing that changed your mind?

Bear in mind - Paramedic Science is MUCH more competetive, with less places and more hopefuls

I am so unsure.

Well, I joined St John Ambulance as a first aider and being out on duty I really enjoy.

I have also done work experience in minor injuries which was obviously more like the work that Paramedics do.

However, I did an on going placement on an elderly patient ward and I just though it was so nice to get close to the patients- something which paramedics don't get to do!

Although paramedics get a lot of paperwork... I must admit that nurses get 10x more! My mother is a nurse and she is forever doing paperwork and rarely gets clinical days..

AHHHHHHH I don't know!! -_-
Literally need someone to tell me for me..
I already have a place for January 2012 but want to reapply for Sept 2012 due to problems at the hopsital i'm training at so here's me;

- I'm 18
- In June (2011) I finished my college course which was a Cadet Nursing course meaning I did 3 days at college doing a BTEC National Diploma in Health & Soical care course and 2 days on various placements at my local hospital each week
- I acheived Distinction, Distinction, Merit (AAB A-Level equivalent)
- I'm a volunteer first aider with St. John Ambulance and I've done over 200 hours service and various proficiencies with them
- I work at my local hospital as a Healthcare Support Worker

I plan to apply to;

- York
- East Anglia
- Sheffield Hallam
- Birmingham City
- Manchester

To chip in with the books/info discussion it's worth considering having;

- A copy of the NMC Code of Conduct
- Any decent Human Biology/ Physiology & Anatomy book
- Any decent Drug Calculation book
- New copy of the BNF
- Bailliere's Nurses' Dictionary
- The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
I already have a place for January 2012 but want to reapply for Sept 2012 due to problems at the hopsital i'm training at so here's me;

- I'm 18
- In June (2011) I finished my college course which was a Cadet Nursing course meaning I did 3 days at college doing a BTEC National Diploma in Health & Soical care course and 2 days on various placements at my local hospital each week
- I acheived Distinction, Distinction, Merit (AAB A-Level equivalent)
- I'm a volunteer first aider with St. John Ambulance and I've done over 200 hours service and various proficiencies with them
- I work at my local hospital as a Healthcare Support Worker

I plan to apply to;

- York
- East Anglia
- Sheffield Hallam
- Birmingham City
- Manchester

To chip in with the books/info discussion it's worth considering having;

- A copy of the NMC Code of Conduct
- Any decent Human Biology/ Physiology & Anatomy book
- Any decent Drug Calculation book
- New copy of the BNF
- Bailliere's Nurses' Dictionary
- The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures

You might want to check Manchester's entry requirements for next year - when I enquired they were not accepting a Btec for next year as a stand alone subject - you needed an A level :frown:
Reply 98
Hey, I want to apply for child nursing at UEA 2012 September.
I'm fully aware that it's extremely competitive (as there are only 19 places). All of my experience is with children, and I do A-levels (Bio, psychology and english)
Do you think it's wise that I apply for childrens nursing, or would I be safer applying for adult?
Also, does anyone know if they, like Surrey, will be making their entry requirements higher? (from BBC-BBB, to BBB-ABB) ?
Thanks x
Reply 99
Original post by iXcorre
=it's wise that I apply for childrens nursing, or would I be safer applying for adult?

It depends if you want to be a Nurse and your interest is in children, or if you reeaally wanna be a Child Nurse :smile: mull it over, in some cases you might be able to apply to Child Nursing jobs with an Adult Degree if you have good experience of working with kids and explain everything pretty well in your cover letter on NHSJobs :smile:

Quick Reply