The Student Room Group

Why is "curvy" now considered an excuse for being fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Peteo
In the vast majority of cases being overweight means you are unhealthy. Just because you work out 3 times a week doesn't mean you're healthy as you suggest.

Oh really says who? The imaginary elf? Being curvy doesn't always make you overweight. Just listen to what you're saying, it's so utterly ridiculous.
Reply 21
Original post by susan23
Who the **** are you to judge a girl based on appearance. She could be working out 3 times a week and still look fat you moron. I think as long as you are physically healthy then it doesn't matter how much you weigh.

You could have posted the response without the implied swearing. I don't think the publisher is a 'moron' just for asking why the word 'curvy' is mis-used and over-used to describe an undesirable image for a woman.
Reply 22
Original post by susan23
Who the **** are you to judge a girl based on appearance. She could be working out 3 times a week and still look fat you moron. I think as long as you are physically healthy then it doesn't matter how much you weigh.

Lool yeah she could be working out 3 times a week... but she could also be eating like a pig which would still equal too many calories, 80% diet 20% exercise......
I like to think of myself as curvy, although i would also like to loose a bit of weight.... 38, 30, 38 <- is this curvy or fat?
Reply 24
Women don't want to think they're unattractive.
That's why they use "curvy" (which men use to describe those lovely ladies like Christina Hendricks etc) instead of "fat".
(edited 12 years ago)
i totally get where you're coming from.
women are not made to be stick thin but there are limits.
when i hear curvy, i think of a waist that goes in and you have that hourglass shape.

that doesn't mean that you have the gut of a whale though.

and i always think that if you're a healthy weight for your height or whatever it is you want to do, and you're happy with yourself, you're prefect.
Reply 26
Original post by bradshawi
You could have posted the response without the implied swearing. I don't think the publisher is a 'moron' just for asking why the word 'curvy' is mis-used and over-used to describe an undesirable image for a woman.

Yeah I'm just a pissed at the amount of FAT and CURVY hate going on TSR today.
Reply 27
Original post by susan23
Oh really says who? The imaginary elf? Being curvy doesn't always make you overweight. Just listen to what you're saying, it's so utterly ridiculous.

Your body is not meant to support such a level of fat. Many health problems are exaccerbated or far more likely to occur due to being overweight. Even if the person doesn't have visible health problems now (and thus you'd probably call them "healthy" doesn't mean they won't get them in future, which statistically they will probably get. I mean no overweight people in their 40s I know are free from illnesses and health problems yet the vast majority of healthy weight people don't have any problems.

Even things such as joint pains. Overweight people are far likely to get them. The fat has long term implications. Just because they don't have joint pains now doesn't mean they're "healthy"...

Out of interest, are you "curvy"? :wink:
Reply 28
If a girl can find a way to feel good about her appearance, then all the power to her. Why should they have to feel bad about being fat? It's not exactly easy for most people to lose weight, and feeling like **** about yourself isn't conducive to going to the gym either.
Reply 29
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
You could ask them in real life why they say that, instead of coming to an internet forum for answers?

+1
Original post by susan23
Yeah I'm just a pissed at the amount of FAT and CURVY hate going on TSR today.

No ones hating on curvy people, its people that are blatantly overweight yet claim theyre curvy that people are complaining about
I'm Overweight? by a few pounds not that botherd its only being overweight i consider myself curvy
I go swimming 3 4 times a week
go for a run 1/2 a week
Go for a bike ride few times a week
Either Walk/ cycle most places

Eat fairly healthily
Reply 32
Original post by miser
If a girl can find a way to feel good about her appearance, then all the power to her. Why should they have to feel bad about being fat? It's not exactly easy for most people to lose weight, and feeling like **** about yourself isn't conducive to going to the gym either.

In most cases, i.e where there isn't a medical reason it shows lack of self discipline, lack of respect for ones body, lack of dedication, low self esteem, fatalistic attitude and ignorant about scientific knowledge about the dangers. That's why people should feel bad about being fat.
There's actually a distinction between being curvy and being fat and, yeah, some women get that wrong or opt to say they're 'curvy' when they're actually overweight; but who really wants to go around describing themselves as fat? It's all about keeping up appearances, I guess. No-one wants to have to think of themselves as being unattractive, even if it means lying to themselves. :redface:
Reply 34
There is a differnce between women who are curvy and who are over weight.

Example:

Curvy woman

obease woman
Reply 35
Original post by Anonymous
I'm Overweight? by a few pounds not that botherd its only being overweight i consider myself curvy
I go swimming 3 4 times a week
go for a run 1/2 a week
Go for a bike ride few times a week
Either Walk/ cycle most places

Eat fairly healthily

You just solved your own problem. I highlighted it for you. If you still eat over your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), you will gain weight, if you eat below you will loose it, exercise can help but not if you eat the calories that you burn again...

I suggest you record everything you eat AND drink and work out how much you are consuming. It will help you. However you must write down everything you eat and drink otherwise you're just tricking yourself.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Peteo
In most cases, i.e where there isn't a medical reason it shows lack of self discipline, lack of respect for ones body, lack of dedication, low self esteem, fatalistic attitude and ignorant about scientific knowledge about the dangers. That's why people should feel bad about being fat.

I'm sure they're all too well aware of their weight and the negative effects associated with it. Encourage them to lose weight, sure, but people can make their own life decisions and it's not everyone else's job to make them feel bad about it.
Reply 37
Original post by Peteo
Your body is not meant to support such a level of fat. Many health problems are exaccerbated or far more likely to occur due to being overweight. Even if the person doesn't have visible health problems now (and thus you'd probably call them "healthy" doesn't mean they won't get them in future, which statistically they will probably get. I mean no overweight people in their 40s I know are free from illnesses and health problems yet the vast majority of healthy weight people don't have any problems..

Even things such as joint pains. Overweight people are far likely to get them. The fat has long term implications. Just because they don't have joint pains now doesn't mean they're "healthy"...

Out of interest, are you "curvy"? :wink:

1.:wtf:
2. Who said that being overweight makes you less prone to diseases.
3. As long as you are within the healthy weight range for your specific height then I don't see what the issue is here? Being a healthy weight range for your height could also mean you are curvy since different people have different physical body structures.

That's exactly my point...being overweight = unhealthy = risk of disease BUT being overweight doesn't mean you are curvy. YOU CAN BE CURVY AND NOT OVERWEIGHT DEPENDING ON THE INDIVITUALS PHYSICAL BODY STRUCTURE.

and no OP I'm not what you call curvy or fat.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Peteo

You're talking such **** it's not even funny.
Reply 39
Original post by Sam2424
My favourite is saying that you're a 'bubbly' person haha

i hate that phrase with a passion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending