Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Dilemma- Music A level- don't know what to do!.........

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm typing this at half 1 in the morning on christmas day so soryr if there's loads of typos, I just need ot get this out.

OK, I've been recently thinking that if i wanted to do a music degree in university then I must have had at least music A level to apply there. The only probelem is that I'm doing AS levels at the mment and have 4 A levels atm, now I really have the feeling I may consider studying music in university, but what chance do I have without music a level? I don't want to take a gap year, but it may be possible to take up AS level probably after I drop a subject or osmething.

My question is, is it possible to do a whole A level in one year? I mean, it may be stressful with the coursewor because ther'es a lot of practical content in it, but I just want to know if anyone else has done music and know if they think it's possible to do it in a year? My board would be OCR with my schoo, just for some extra info.

Is A level music necessary to do a music degree? By the time I apply for uni I'd have a grade 8 instrument and a grade 6 or 7 instrument by that time. Is musical theory necessary? I've only done up to grade 5 so far.....

Would unis accept if you've got only an AS in music?

Anyway, I don't really know, what do I do? if I ever did want to do music for a living, a degree wouldn't be necessary but it would be preferrable if I ever did want to be a musician. ANyway god I'm tired, and if anyone can give me any useful information, please tell me.

Anyway,I don't know, I'm going to bed I guess and merry christmas, I hope it's better than mine.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're right, universities are likely to need music A level, although you may find that some places will be happy with AS level or grade 8 music.

That's for university though; if you can show your worth at an audition, you may well be accepted into a music college on your performance alone.

But, you're right, music A-level can be done in one year, especially if you're grade 8 standard - you'll find it a breeze.

Talk to the school; see if they'll let you do that. Meanwhile, have a look at some nice universities that do music and see what their requirements are. If necessary, you can even email a few admissions tutors and see if they'd be happy with AS music in your (exceptional) situation.
Updated: December 25, 2005
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.