The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Additional Science B6C6P6 Post-exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Sokka
password sub-section was probably the easiest one. Yh I put beth and niall, then repetition/rehearsal of the password followed by associate it with strong stimulus e.g. sound, smell, colour etc.

what else? dogs learn because they have ____ neurons. I put "billions". I read it somewhere.

Also, the one where it said why do they learn to sit. What did you tick, I forgot the options

i think it was repeat stimulus and
many neurpn pathways or something

Hmm, I can't really remember the options :frown: I think it was quite straightforward.

This threw me a bit:
The response has X to the stimulus. I said it has no direct connection but this could have been debatable. They didn't say whether they meant the primary stimulus or secondary one. It would have no direct connection to the secondary stimulus but the response (salivating) does have a direct connection to the primary stimulus.

So yeah. If you know what I mean?
Original post by Ears
Hmm, I can't really remember the options :frown: I think it was quite straightforward.

This threw me a bit:
The response has X to the stimulus. I said it has no direct connection but this could have been debatable. They didn't say whether they meant the primary stimulus or secondary one. It would have no direct connection to the secondary stimulus but the response (salivating) does have a direct connection to the primary stimulus.

Yeah you're right. that question was vague; but they almost never ask about the secondary stimulus (looking at past papers) so I just assumed it's the primary stimulus they were talking about.
Reply 82
Original post by Ears

This threw me a bit:

what were the options. im sure they wanted you to recall that it has no direct connection to primary stimulus, they wouldn't have tried to throw you off like that.

I put what you put too :h:

btw I just realised ideas in context is worth the same as the other units in additional. On the spec it says:

c4p4b4 - 16.7%
c5b5[5 - 16.7%
c6b6p6 - 16.7%
ideas - 16.7%
investigation (coursework) - 33.33%

my sc teacher still thinks it's worth more 4 sum reason, he keeps saying it -.-
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Yeah you're right. that question was vague; but they almost never ask about the secondary stimulus (looking at past papers) so I just assumed it's the primary stimulus they were talking about.

Edit: I got confused which way round I meant. I agree with you, they always say primary. Sorry :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sokka
what were the options. im sure they wanted you to recall that it has no direct connection to primary stimulus, they wouldn't have tried to throw you off like that.

I put what you put too :h:

btw I just realised ideas in context is worth the same as the other units in additional. On the spec it says:

c4p4b4 - 16.7%
c5b5[5 - 16.7%
c6b6p6 - 16.7%
ideas - 16.7%
investigation (coursework) - 33.33%

my sc teacher still thinks it's worth more 4 sum reason, he keeps saying it -.-

I'm so happy it's worth the same as any other unit, or I'd be screwed. Ideas in Context is so annoying...
Reply 85
I'm so happy it's worth the same as any other unit, or I'd be screwed. Ideas in Context is so annoying...

last year it was 25/42 for an A* haha, doubt they'll chsnge too much.
Original post by Sokka
last year it was 25/42 for an A* haha, doubt they'll chsnge too much.

The paper is out of 40 :tongue: They're taking it out for the 2011 specification but they have controlled assessments for the coursework instead. I don't know if I should be jealous or not (about this and other changes)...
Reply 87
Today's exam went well I thought, but yep shame on them for making a mistake. Atleast it meant we could have a sneaky flick through!

The flour factory explosion was hilarious, I wrote that that was to do with the increased concentration and the increased surface area making more collisions, therefore speeding up the reaction making an explosion!

Loads of it was badly worded and I hate that because you KNOW that you know it, they just need to ask you properly what they want to know.

..But this is the habit I get into.. let's stop going over today's exam and revise for Tuesday!

Amy :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by amy-zing
Today's exam went well I thought, but yep shame on them for making a mistake. Atleast it meant we could have a sneaky flick through!

The flour factory explosion was hilarious, I wrote that that was to do with the increased concentration and the increased surface area making more collisions, therefore speeding up the reaction making an explosion!

Loads of it was badly worded and I hate that because you KNOW that you know it, they just need to ask you properly what they want to know.

..But this is the habit I get into.. let's stop going over today's exam and revise for Tuesday!

lucky! I've got statistics on monday, then science on tuesday =[
Reply 89
Aw :frown: well good luck! Is it a stats resit or are you doing it first time around?

I thought that flour one was badly worded; I spend ages trying to understand it!

I still don't get how the flour can explode!

Did anyone else think the font size on the first page was VERY large? The rest were normal but that front page actually hurt my eyes it was so large. :/
Original post by drewb
I thought that flour one was badly worded; I spend ages trying to understand it!

I still don't get how the flour can explode!

Did anyone else think the font size on the first page was VERY large? The rest were normal but that front page actually hurt my eyes it was so large. :/

I didn't notice any difference? o_O
Reply 92
Original post by Sokka

Aw, I hope it goes well! Is it a resit or are you doing it first time around? I have a science resit and geography on friday and THEN the science on tuesday. But since we got taught mod 5 and then 6, I've forgotton all of the mitosis and circuit malarky!

WOOOO revision!
Reply 93
WOOO! Last exam on Monday! Bring on the A-levels!!!
I didn't notice any difference? o_O

I thought it was REALLY large? Might just be me though. :P
Reply 95
Aw, I hope it goes well! Is it a resit or are you doing it first time around? I have a science resit and geography on friday and THEN the science on tuesday. But since we got taught mod 5 and then 6, I've forgotton all of the mitosis and circuit malarky!

WOOOO revision!

First time round :] I never let myself get into that resit situation :tongue: good luck on your resits, I thought it was just me with exams before science..
same here I forgot everything about mitosis and all the circuit things but chem is ok because we revised it for ideas paper ^^ I need to revise now, AS level FP2 AND 3 maths tommorow and after tommorow aaaaaa!! D:
Reply 96
Original post by Sokka

ARHH I have Stats too. I had to self teach it so they'd enter me, so I'm a bit nervous. I still have quite a bit to learn so I will be working like mad in the next four days!
How is your preparation going?
Reply 97
Original post by Sokka
First time round :] I never let myself get into that resit situation :tongue: good luck on your resits, I thought it was just me with exams before science..
same here I forgot everything about mitosis and all the circuit things but chem is ok because we revised it for ideas paper ^^ I need to revise now, AS level FP2 AND 3 maths tommorow and after tommorow aaaaaa!! D:

Cor, you're sitting Further Maths modules in year 11?
Reply 98
Original post by Alimbo95
Cor, you're sitting Further Maths modules in year 11?

well you get A* in gcse in year 10, you get to sit as level math + as level further math in year 11, but basically, we do fp1,fp2 and fp3 in the AS further instead of other modules like D1 or something, but in AS level maths, we do C1,C2 AND M1/S1. I got 97 in C1 in jan, so retook in May :colondollar: if you're picking it next year, I'll tell you something I wasn't told:
1) Learn how to FACTORISE!!!! make it flow in your blood, factorise anything from cubics to quadratics.
2) Don't think it's going to be TOO much of a jump from GCSE.
3) All you need for an A* is 75 in all the other modules and 180 across C3 and C4
So basically, here's an example.
C1: 75
C2: 75
S1: 75
C3: 90
C4: 90
M1: 75

= A*

basically, just get an average of an A grade, but C3 and C4 HAVE to be 180 together, so you can get 85 on C3 and 95 on C4 etc etc...
only 2 other kids are doing this in my year, Japanese and Chinese :tongue: so in total, we had like 20+ exams because we get 16 gcses in total (ict and p.e are each 2 gcse's, helps alot!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by Ears
ARHH I have Stats too. I had to self teach it so they'd enter me, so I'm a bit nervous. I still have quite a bit to learn so I will be working like mad in the next four days!
How is your preparation going?

hmm, I'm relying on S1 for the info. I'll just have to revise standard deviation, spearman's rank and a few other topics but I'd say it's going fine :h: Self-teaching is what it's all about, I had to self-teach myself basically as level maths and as level further maths this year and then sit 3 exams for each :tongue: it works pretty well - I get an entire room to myself in math lessons (with 2 other guys) for a start! we don't even work lol. We watched half a movie on an MP4 once xD my eyes were blurry aftwards..
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest