The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
El Chueco
surely you mean "go to america" and "hate this country" or are you in prague yet?

I tried blocking out the fact that I'm in the UK...it helps me cope with the fact that I don't want to be here. :wink:

Prague is in January!

Right now I guess we're heading down to a "pub" for lunch.
SlyPie
Dude, I thought you were applying to Harvard and other American universities? And that you hated the UK?

Just come to America and stop asking silly questions.

I'm applying to both American and British universities (I have to do my A-Levels.. I may as well) and I would prefer London/Oxford to most other unis over here. The idea is to benefit from Britain's one asset, its education, and then get the hell out of here - and if I don't get into a top American university (basically, Harvard) then I'll stick it out here for a few more years.
Reply 42
Wow this got off-topic fast.

--------------

The Ace is Back
I'm applying to both American and British universities (I have to do my A-Levels.. I may as well) and I would prefer London/Oxford to most other unis over here. The idea is to benefit from Britain's one asset, its education, and then get the hell out of here - and if I don't get into a top American university (basically, Harvard) then I'll stick it out here for a few more years.

In all fairness America has more great unis then the UK so you could look into Yale and Stanford you know :wink:

--------------

susiemakemeblue
People get naked in all universities. But I think I can safely say that there is much more eye candy at Bristol than at Imperial. :wink:

:rofl:
I haven't seen you around since you and Ace were ripping eachother's throats out over private schooling :biggrin: that was fun you should do it again sometime :wink:
I wasn't purposely Bristol bashing, honest, I just got really f***ed off by that other guy who said I was full of sh*ite when I wasn't :mad:
Ohhhh mass pillow fights ay? I do like the sound of that, sounds fun!
Although I must say I'm impressed that some bristol-person made it to the Grand Canyon!!
Paddy
The Ace is Back
What do you think of the people at LSE? Are they all foreign, and are they all ugly?

Sound people at LSE - if caught looking for things to do rather than making them happen - if that makes sense.

They aren't all foreign - or ugly - but I've seen prettier.

susiemakemeblue
Be that as it may, London is not a proper student city. Students in London, more often than not, are the highly ambitious, driven types who are trying to pretend they've graduated and got that highly-paid job already because they just can't wait.

Nah - maybe in LSE you get that. I still buy my Tesco value stuff with pride and am dead grateful for the free meals that the Hare Krishna person gives out. I refuse to go somewhere where I won't see change or much change from a fiver on a drink.

I'm a little different in fairness... I'm born in London

As a student, there's no way I'd be eating at a restaurant 100 feet in the air and revolving as I dined,

Last time I went, it cost a whole tenner :smile:

and a 24 hour licence makes no difference if you have the foresight to keep enough alcohol in your room.

My room doesn't come with a DJ. And there aren't ever anything like as many beautiful people in it either :frown: I keep booze in my room as a matter of cause :smile:

So I may as well go to the Corrie Tap and have a riotous night out witnessing the mayhem that ensues when hundreds of students from two universities pack into a tiny pub like sardines and get horribly drunk on 12% cider, because that's what being a student is all about. :p:

We get that too :smile: Without the 12% apple flavoured urine.

I'll enjoy the revolving restaurants when I'm actually earning enough to be able to afford it. Or better still, when I've made a name for myself and get to use the company credit card. :wink:

I'll book, you pay?

Yeah, I bet you do! :p:

Of course :biggrin:

The Grand Canyon is impressive - but I'd say a beach in Hawaii or a sushi bar in Japan would rock my socks more.
You're really just splitting hairs now... :rolleyes:

PS - I would have an absolute hissy fit if I had to pay anywhere even close to a fiver for a drink. I won't even pay £3 for a drink.
susiemakemeblue
I won't even pay £3 for a drink.

I know fthat in Bristol, £3 a drink or close to that isn't that uncommon.

And I'm not splitting hairs, I'm tying up loose ends... which seem pretty well tied

I know some people who likes some places, possibly only ever populated by the rich international students, where it was £8.50 a drink - I got really thirsty that night. Some people are snobs and do use cash as a barrier. Exclusive doesn't mean pleasent.
paddy357
In all fairness America has more great unis then the UK so you could look into Yale and Stanford you know :wink:

Pfffft, possibly but they just ain't as good as Harvard you know? I figured if I'm going to go to a completely new country across the Atlantic it might as well be for nothing but the very best. Still, I'll consider those two, along with Duke, Princeton and maybe Brown. Don't want my SATs going to waste eh?

paddy357
rofl:
I haven't seen you around since you and Ace were ripping eachother's throats out over private schooling :biggrin: that was fun you should do it again sometime :wink:

Haha yeah, unfortunately I don't feel so strongly about many other subjects.. but susiemakemeblue, if you feel like a fight sometime..
Reply 47
The Ace is Back

haha its only asset eh...

Nonetheless, Harvard is extremely competitive. So don't be too disappointed if you don't get in. It's even way, way more competitive than Oxbridge, so don't put all your hopes into that one university! And yes, there are a lot of other really good universities in America. Yale is good for the arts, but not for science. Stanford is good all-around, and I'd say better than Yale. Princeton is "peh." It's really quite overrated since many of its departments are not even nationally ranked in the top 5. And there's also Columbia, etc.

Duke is in the South, in the middle of nowhere by the way...so keep that in mind.

Good luck with your apps. I remember how much of a pain in the ass it was applying to university.
Reply 48
susiemakemeblue
But I think I can safely say that there is much more eye candy at Bristol than at Imperial. :wink:

Oh, God, yes.
SlyPie
haha its only asset eh...

Nonetheless, Harvard is extremely competitive. So don't be too disappointed if you don't get in. It's even way, way more competitive than Oxbridge, so don't put all your hopes into that one university! And yes, there are a lot of other really good universities in America. Yale is good for the arts, but not for science. Stanford is good all-around, and I'd say better than Yale. Princeton is "peh." It's really quite overrated since many of its departments are not even nationally ranked in the top 5. And there's also Columbia, etc.

Duke is in the South, in the middle of nowhere by the way...so keep that in mind.

Good luck with your apps. I remember how much of a pain in the ass it was applying to university.

Thanks SlyPie. Oh and disappointment won't be necessary, getting into Harvard will be easy - they'll love me :wink: So what do you think of your university - it's quite high on the league tables, how does it rate? Liberal arts as well? Also how many universities am I allowed to apply to?
Reply 50
The Ace is Back
Thanks SlyPie. Oh and disappointment won't be necessary, getting into Harvard will be easy - they'll love me :wink: So what do you think of your university - it's quite high on the league tables, how does it rate? Liberal arts as well? Also how many universities am I allowed to apply to?

The Ace is Back

Get the eyedrops:

Yeah, just keep up the modesty during interview and I'm sure you'll get in. You might as well walk in with a strut and see how that goes.

Well my university does rank highly--(sigh) probably due to its research and its high-ranking departments-- along with the genius professors. Unfortunately these professors aren't always the best lecturers since some seem to focus on their research. Also my uni is over-crowded with 30,000+ students. I like it though, because it is only costing me $20,000 at the moment per year (which is cheap for an American university) and it really makes you independent because of the class sizes while offering a superb academic experience.The departments are amazing. (Out-of-state applicants can gain California citizenship after a year I believe and pay the lower tuition (from 40,000/year to 20,000/year).

Lectures usually have 200 people or so, maybe slightly less, up to 800, so you don't even have to go to class if you feel like crap, or if you are lethargic. I swear half of the class in my lectures don't even attend, but do self-study. There are discussion classes consisting of 30 people or so, run by graduate student instructors which are taken alongside the lectures. I guess you really need to be self-motivated if you want to attend a large (30,000+) university. Smaller unis give you a more personal atmosphere, if that's what you prefer. It might be easier to get recommendation letters from professors in smaller universities (like LACs) than from large ones.

The liberal arts departments are great. History is ranked 2nd nationally, English 1st, art history 3rd, German 1st , etc. etc. blah blah. The information is on its website. I think that's for graduate rankings, but hey the same faculty teach undergrad.

We have a "liberal arts" education, meaning we take 7 core classes outside our major and 2 upper division courses outside our major. You can also double major at American universities if you desire, which, I don't believe, English ones allow.

I think you can apply to as many universities are you want. I applied to 10, or was it 11. I applied to all of the Universities of California, and then U Washington, and U Michigan- Ann Arbor. I never applied for the privates nor any on the East Coast so I can't give you info regarding them, although I'm doing some research regarding graduate/professional school in privates on the East Coast. (I really don't want to be stuck on the West Coast for another 3 *****ing years...)

All in all, you should make a choice regarding what size of a university you want, what kind of an atmosphere, what your major is, and the region, etc. My opinion, stay away from the damn South.
SlyPie
Get the eyedrops:

Yeah, just keep up the modesty during interview and I'm sure you'll get in. You might as well walk in with a strut and see how that goes.

Well my university does rank highly--(sigh) probably due to its research and its high-ranking departments-- along with the genius professors. Unfortunately these professors aren't always the best lecturers since some seem to focus on their research. Also my uni is over-crowded with 30,000+ students. I like it though, because it is only costing me $20,000 at the moment per year (which is cheap for an American university) and it really makes you independent because of the class sizes while offering a superb academic experience.The departments are amazing. (Out-of-state applicants can gain California citizenship after a year I believe and pay the lower tuition (from 40,000/year to 20,000/year).

Lectures usually have 200 people or so, maybe slightly less, up to 800, so you don't even have to go to class if you feel like crap, or if you are lethargic. I swear half of the class in my lectures don't even attend, but do self-study. There are discussion classes consisting of 30 people or so, run by graduate student instructors which are taken alongside the lectures. I guess you really need to be self-motivated if you want to attend a large (30,000+) university. Smaller unis give you a more personal atmosphere, if that's what you prefer. It might be easier to get recommendation letters from professors in smaller universities (like LACs) than from large ones.

The liberal arts departments are great. History is ranked 2nd nationally, English 1st, art history 3rd, German 1st , etc. etc. blah blah. The information is on its website. I think that's for graduate rankings, but hey the same faculty teach undergrad.

We have a "liberal arts" education, meaning we take 7 core classes outside our major and 2 upper division courses outside our major. You can also double major at American universities if you desire, which, I don't believe, English ones allow.

I think you can apply to as many universities are you want. I applied to 10, or was it 11. I applied to all of the Universities of California, and then U Washington, and U Michigan- Ann Arbor. I never applied for the privates nor any on the East Coast so I can't give you info regarding them, although I'm doing some research regarding graduate/professional school in privates on the East Coast. (I really don't want to be stuck on the West Coast for another 3 *****ing years...)

All in all, you should make a choice regarding what size of a university you want, what kind of an atmosphere, what your major is, and the region, etc. My opinion, stay away from the damn South.

Haha... don't worry about it - the modesty will shine through during the interview. It's all part of the act. I won't be too fussed if Harvard reject me though - it is the best university in the world after all. Thanks again! I'll probably take your advice and steer clear of the South.
President_Ben
I know fthat in Bristol, £3 a drink or close to that isn't that uncommon.

We-ell...

I live in Bristol.
I won't pay £3 for a drink.
I go out regularly.
I'm not a lightweight.

And yet somehow, I keep getting pretty darn drunk! :p:

You, my friend, are going to ALL the wrong places.
susiemakemeblue
We-ell...

I live in Bristol.
I won't pay £3 for a drink.
I go out regularly.
I'm not a lightweight.

And yet somehow, I keep getting pretty darn drunk! :p:

You, my friend, are going to ALL the wrong places.

I'll take your tips onboard for when I'm in Bristol then. Or you can show me around :smile: Even better :cool:
President_Ben
I'll take your tips onboard for when I'm in Bristol then. Or you can show me around :smile: Even better :cool:

Will do. I pay £2.25 for decent cocktails. The only "expensive" place I go to is the Corrie Tap, but it's really not that expensive in reality. £2 for half a pint of cider....but it gets you sooooooooo drunk! It's less about spending lots of money on alcohol and more about mysteriously losing all your money when you go to that place.

Latest

Trending

Trending