The Student Room Group

which accent do you think is the most unattractive?

Scroll to see replies

You're forgetting an accent here which is worthy of one of the worst. Essex... My god it's like listening to a Cockney gone retarded.

I'm going to have to go with scouse on this one, closely followed by Brummie. I'm pretty surprised that Cockney hasn't got as much hate, I thought everyone hated our accent.
Reply 61
Original post by HandsomeBWonderful
Lol! I would actually describe the accent in the Rugby/Daventry area as cockney mixed with brummie and west country so i guess coventry will be about the same. I don't notice it that much really but you midlanders pronounce your U's differently to us down south.

I guess you only notice it if you're from somewhere else...

The blokes at work all call me posh boy, even though i don't think i sound posh at all.

Accents are funny things....

Hahaha yeah its similar with the Rugby accent. We're only 15 miles from Brum but sound nothing like them

Yeah very strange things accents... I wouldn't change mine for the world though. Its unique :smile:
Reply 62
I'm glad that 'suffolk farmer' doesn't appear on the list. That means we have an attractive accent, right?
Reply 63
Liverpool and Geordie accent. :hand:

:puke:
Reply 64
If there was an option for "Graham Norton" I'd click that.
Reply 65
Any accent can be forgiven if a pretty girl speaks in it. It's purely coincidental that Birmingham doesn't have any pretty girls.
Reply 66
Original post by L'Amour Toujours
Ugh, probably Brummie...

I'm from and still live near Wolverhampton and, I relent, the Black Country accent I sometimes adopt isn't that great to have to listen to if it's spoken in a thick drawl, but I still don't understand how I am confused so often for being a Brummie. I sound nothing like I'm from Birmingham, damn it! :mad:

I know what you mean hate it when people think i'm from Birmingham when I tell them I'm from Wolverhampton, the accent is completely different!

"where are you from?" "Wolverhampton" "Oh so you're a Brummie then." *Screams* "NO!":banghead:
West Country and London (including but not restricted to Cockney). West Country just makes people sound like they're slow (I realise this is not always the case though :h:). I love Brummie, Scouser and Geordie accent though :love:. I prefer northern accents to southern ones, I just feel there's more "life" to them, whereas southern ones can seem pretty monotonous in comparison (this isn't to offend anyone by any means, I live in the south by choice, so there must be something about it that appeals more than the north for me :biggrin:)
Reply 68
Original post by jimmeh
I'm glad that 'suffolk farmer' doesn't appear on the list. That means we have an attractive accent, right?

I don't know how they sound like lol that's why its not on the list!
I hope no one is mistake Brummie for the Black Country accent. People from Birmingham sound nothing like those from the Black Country...
Original post by jimmeh

It's because you live in a corner of the east of england that no one visits, hence why you are all farmers and talk to goats.

Not enough exposure to make the list. sozzaz.
Reply 71
Yorkshire is the best.

Though in a recent interview I just had that moment where I actually listened to how I was pronouncing a few words and thought "that sounds so Yorkshire, maybe I should repeat it?" Got the job though :biggrin:
There isnt an accent i really hate... Buy i love irish and scouse accents
I don't know which to vote for because I don't like most of them apart from Manchester :awesome:....not biased at all.

I searched for a yorkshire accent on youtube (before I realised I actually know a girl with a yorkshire accent) and I found someone from TSR who made a video on their yorkshire accent, and it sounds okay :smile:

But I think that accents within each of those vary quite a bit..but not so much that you can't tell where they're from. And unless they're very strong I can get them mixed up :/
Reply 74
scottish definately
no offence to the people i just really dont like the accent aha

love irish though
Original post by miah78
I think Yorkshire accents because they sound awful:angry:

All the working class accents are horrible sounding.

But the worst of the lot :- Welsh, Black Country and Yorkshire.

Those of Scotland too aren't exactly attractive.
Original post by oj234
Arab/Pakistani/Iranian etc. Yuck.

I think you meant Indian..
Reply 77
They all sound the same to me. And I can't understand none of them.
Reply 78
Anyone who I can't understand when they speak to me.
Reply 79
Original post by Erich Hartmann
All the working class accents are horrible sounding.

But the worst of the lot :- Welsh, Black Country and Yorkshire.

Those of Scotland too aren't exactly attractive.

:nn: Yorkshire is the best.

not sure they are 'working class' accents - more 'regional'.

Quick Reply

Latest