The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
Original post by tomlees
Anyone applied for Mills & Reeve, Cobbetts, Hill Dickinson or Walker Morris?

Applied to Hill Dickinson fairly late, but still haven't heard anything back.
Reply 2021
Original post by Sync
Nothing since the initial confirmation of receipt email.

When did you apply? I didn't get my application in until late (26th) so am not expecting anything for a while yet.

I applied last minute, but a friend who applied early has an interview next week so they are getting back to people!
Reply 2022
Original post by linguistlawyer
I had same issue. My verbal reasoning was not good enuf for ever****es, but Okay for Wragge & Co and CMS Cameron McKenna. Does not make sense.

Well I guess it's just because different firms have different benchmarks - I know for Olswang far fewer people get the benchmark than Herbert Smith where the vast majority do... Silly they do it on one test on one day... but I guess they have to find a way to distinguish between loads of good applications
Where did you hear that about Herbert Smith? I heard the opposite! So hard trying to work out what these firms want/what bemchmarks are-guess we wil never know forsure!
Reply 2024
Original post by charanmann
Where did you hear that about Herbert Smith? I heard the opposite! So hard trying to work out what these firms want/what bemchmarks are-guess we wil never know forsure!

Chambers say on the HS page that about 70% get over the benchmark... either way, I guess on all these things you just have to do your best and hope!

Is anyone else still waiting on Cleary? I applied before Christmas! Also RPC, BWB, Bristows?
Original post by linguistlawyer
I had same issue. My verbal reasoning was not good enuf for ever****es, but Okay for Wragge & Co and CMS Cameron McKenna. Does not make sense.

Hi! When is your CMS AC? Mine is on the 15th and since this is my first ever AC, I am freaking out. I really like the firm and don't want to screw it up. What is your mode of preparation? Do you know anyone who has already been through a CMS AC?
Original post by SummerEyes
I'm fuming. I've rang graduate recruitment and left a voicemail asking if i can resit the test, saying there is more to a trainee than a logic test and if they looked at my application form they would see I'm more than suited to the firm....

Guess I'll wait to hear back to them saying no.

Because that's a wise thing to do! Are you serious? That's probably the rudest thing I've heard a candidate do! Logic tests, while not ideal and somtimes questionable (a bit like the LNAT) are important to filter people out when firms get thousands of applicants. Just get over it and move on to other firms. I thought the biggest no-no was ringing graduate recruitment to ask about the status of your application when waiting to hear back, but you've gone and outdone us all... :s-smilie:
I'm fuming. I've rang graduate recruitment and left a voicemail asking if i can resit the test, saying there is more to a trainee than a logic test and if they looked at my application form they would see I'm more than suited to the firm....

Guess I'll wait to hear back to them saying no.

That's incredibly childish imho I hope the consequences are not as severe as what I've experienced through friends.

First of all how are you so certain you did equally as well in both tests? Even so, why can't the required benchmarks of firms be different regardless of how big the firm is? You mentioned logic in your answer so can you see logic in the idea of increasing the benchmark for smaller firms? This year, similar to 2009 firms are receiving an unprecedented volume of applications and this is simply a way of filtering more people. I don't think they would like to interview 100 people a day to satisfy people who don't meet their increased benchmark. FFW have 20 places on their schemes whereas HS has 100 and whilst HS may attract more applicants due to its size it doesn't change the fact that some firms need to find easier and more cost effective ways of recruiting for their schemes.
I know people who have offers from MC firms but then rejected straight from much smaller firms should they call up and complain about the tests and ask them to see their application form to see they are clearly able?

I agree it is frustrating to fall at the online test stage of HS and get through for other firms but 70% of people pass the benchmark at HS which doesn't make those who are pass particularly special. It's not even one of their main recruitment tools so they don't need to have a high benchmark!

Finally I hope your voicemail doesn't come round to bit you in the ass I've known people who have done similar things to vent their frustration not realising that it could ruin their chances of a TC and unbeknown to the fact that HR teams of law firms are actually friends with each other..
Original post by SuperSai_18
That's incredibly childish imho I hope the consequences are not as severe as what I've experienced through friends.

First of all how are you so certain you did equally as well in both tests? Even so, why can't the required benchmarks of firms be different regardless of how big the firm is? You mentioned logic in your answer so can you see logic in the idea of increasing the benchmark for smaller firms? This year, similar to 2009 firms are receiving an unprecedented volume of applications and this is simply a way of filtering more people. I don't think they would like to interview 100 people a day to satisfy people who don't meet their increased benchmark. FFW have 20 places on their schemes whereas HS has 100 and whilst HS may attract more applicants due to its size it doesn't change the fact that some firms need to find easier and more cost effective ways of recruiting for their schemes.
I know people who have offers from MC firms but then rejected straight from much smaller firms should they call up and complain about the tests and ask them to see their application form to see they are clearly able?

I agree it is frustrating to fall at the online test stage of HS and get through for other firms but 70% of people pass the benchmark at HS which doesn't make those who are pass particularly special. It's not even one of their main recruitment tools so they don't need to have a high benchmark!

Finally I hope your voicemail doesn't come round to bit you in the ass I've known people who have done similar things to vent their frustration not realising that it could ruin their chances of a TC and unbeknown to the fact that HR teams of law firms are actually friends with each other..

Are you actually kidding me? Childish? I really was interested in the firm and I wanted to let them know that. So many people apply to these firms and don't give a hoot about who they are applying to. I selected the firm specifically. All i asked is whether I could have another chance. I know I got high marks before because I have been told I've had high marks before! I wasn't rude. I just showed commitment to the firm. What is the harm in asking for another chance. People are ridiculous with the whole should I call them or not. Don't ring continiously but if you have a question to ask then surely thats what they are there for. These people at the end of the phone are humans. You think the whole graduate recruitment system is some sort of machine?
Are you actually kidding me? Childish? I really was interested in the firm and I wanted to let them know that. So many people apply to these firms and don't give a hoot about who they are applying to. I selected the firm specifically. All i asked is whether I could have another chance. I know I got high marks before because I have been told I've had high marks before! I wasn't rude. I just showed commitment to the firm. What is the harm in asking for another chance. People are ridiculous with the whole should I call them or not. Don't ring continiously but if you have a question to ask then surely thats what they are there for. These people at the end of the phone are humans. You think the whole graduate recruitment system is some sort of machine?

lol there's commitment and then there's obsession..Personally your message sounded arrogant to me and if that's what you said they will think the same!
Again I'll agree with you that most people apply to firms to increase their odds of a VS or even salaries which is frustrating but you didn't meet their benchmark so move on? So what if you have high scores maybe that particular test didn't go too well for you who knows? I never once said the weren't humans so please don't put words into my mouth but there are certain procedures that must be followed one of which is not giving one candidate an unfair advantage because they 'didn't do as well as they could have'
In all honesty its great you are truly committed to the firm and i sincerely hope you came across that way in the phone call rather than how you came across in your post.
lol there's commitment and then there's obsession..Personally your message sounded arrogant to me and if that's what you said they will think the same!
Again I'll agree with you that most people apply to firms to increase their odds of a VS or even salaries which is frustrating but you didn't meet their benchmark so move on? So what if you have high scores maybe that particular test didn't go too well for you who knows? I never once said the weren't humans so please don't put words into my mouth but there are certain procedures that must be followed one of which is not giving one candidate an unfair advantage because they 'didn't do as well as they could have'
In all honesty its great you are truly committed to the firm and i sincerely hope you came across that way in the phone call rather than how you came across in your post.

Of course I did. I told them how much I wanted to work for them and I was just dissapointed that my application would now not get looked at when I felt it really showed my enthusiasm. I was venting on the forum. I wouldn't do that to a graduate recruitment member. I was trying to appeal to the heart.
Of course I did. I told them how much I wanted to work for them and I was just dissapointed that my application would now not get looked at when I felt it really showed my enthusiasm. I was venting on the forum. I wouldn't do that to a graduate recruitment member. I was trying to appeal to the heart.

Ok well you never know they may actually give you a second chance but just for consistency purposes I don't think they can. There are many circumstances that people may not do as well as they could on tests or don't meet the benchmark so they can't give resits to everyone.

For the record your post made it sound like you were far superior to the candidates that had passed the test and your application form with your work experience/academic excellence would show that.
Original post by suffocation1992
I wouldn't worry too much, your voice message recording won't go viral outside of that firm's offices...

What do you mean by that?
Ok well you never know they may actually give you a second chance but just for consistency purposes I don't think they can. There are many circumstances that people may not do as well as they could on tests or don't meet the benchmark so they can't give resits to everyone.

For the record your post made it sound like you were far superior to the candidates that had passed the test and your application form with your work experience/academic excellence would show that.

No thats not what I meant. Should have phrased it better. I meant my application form shows how commited I am to the firm.
Original post by k8i2811
Exact same dream last night before slaughter and may interview but I was wearing jeans!

Also- Just found this now and had a couple of Qs...

Did anyone have an interview with Shearman & Sterling yet?

Did anyone else get a 'personal' email from Freshfields saying that they were impressed with your application but were no longer doing interviews but please still apply for training contract?

Oh and anyone heard from Ince & Co or Latham & Watkins??

I know someone at my uni who got that from Freshfields. There was a rumour it was because Freshfields have given all their vac scheme places away so there's no more room.
In terms of travel expenses for interviews, do most firms cover this? I've not heard anything about it yet in relation to an interview I have coming up but its not something I want to bring up at interview!
Original post by stefwad75
In terms of travel expenses for interviews, do most firms cover this? I've not heard anything about it yet in relation to an interview I have coming up but its not something I want to bring up at interview!

Has the correspondence you've had with the firm not mentioned this? If not, don't be afraid to bring it up, it's entirely reasonable. Grad recruitment would be the best people to ask. I know the firms I've been on Open Days/interviews at reimburse up to £100 (London).
Original post by suffocation1992
Has the correspondence you've had with the firm not mentioned this? If not, don't be afraid to bring it up, it's entirely reasonable. Grad recruitment would be the best people to ask. I know the firms I've been on Open Days/interviews at reimburse up to £100 (London).

Thanks, no they haven't mentioned it, the only correspondence I've had from the firm in general was an automated email asking me to choose my interview slot! I felt very uncomfortable at the idea of bringing the topic up during interview...though on the other hand I would not want to just go to the interview and return having ignored the issue!
Original post by barbie477
They told me about two weeks. I've now been waiting just over a week so hopefully will hear soon!

Thanks! I was in too much of a flap to ask them before I left. Fingers crossed! How did you find the interview?
Reply 2039
Original post by legalwar
Just wondered how long it took for them to reply after taking the online tests? I took mine on Sunday and haven't heard anything yet.

I took the Olswang tests on Sunday too and got an email on Monday about an interview. There really doesn't always seem to be a great deal of logic / consistency to these things though so I wouldn't read too much into that!

Quick Reply

Latest