The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone had any interview experience with Freshfields? If so, care to fill me in......?
Original post by firesale1
Anyone had any interview experience with Freshfields? If so, care to fill me in......?

I had a workshop with them a week ago and I had a long chat with a partner who does interviews. He was telling me stories of questions they like to ask..all i can suggest is that you back up everything. If you say you're interested in economics then know about the eurozone debt crisis. Keep up to date on everything. They also appreciate confidence. The trainee was told he was "cocky" in his interview.... he got the tc.
Original post by SummerEyes
Gulp =/ I hate this waiting game. Good luck!

Thanks. Yep, waiting for replies is driving me crazy. Good luck to you too!
Original post by At my wits' end
Hi. When did you apply to SJ Berwin? Send in my application quite close to the deadline and now feel doomed.

I applied last month but not that far on, so I reckon they'll get round to yours soon. Good luck!

Original post by frlawyer
You're welcome! I have an AC with osborne clarke this week.

Congrats! When did you apply?
Reply 1964
I feel like a broken record, but, has anyone heard from White and Case for the summer vacation scheme?
Reply 1965
Original post by triste91
Dreamt I wore UGGs to an interview and woke up terrified haha.

Exact same dream last night before slaughter and may interview but I was wearing jeans!

Also- Just found this now and had a couple of Qs...

Did anyone have an interview with Shearman & Sterling yet?

Did anyone else get a 'personal' email from Freshfields saying that they were impressed with your application but were no longer doing interviews but please still apply for training contract?

Oh and anyone heard from Ince & Co or Latham & Watkins??
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by k8i2811
Exact same dream last night before slaughter and may interview but I was wearing jeans!

Did anyone else get a 'personal' email from Freshfields saying that they were impressed with your application but were no longer doing interviews but please still apply for training contract?

I have an interview at Shearman & Sterling tomorrow afternoon! When is yours?
Original post by k8i2811

Haven't heard from Latham or Shearman :mad:
Reply 1968
Original post by barbie477
I have an interview at Shearman & Sterling tomorrow afternoon! When is yours?

Next Monday- put it off until reading week...I really hate interviews!
I think I came across as a complete idiot in Slaughter's today...
Reply 1969
DLA Piper (London) PFO.
Original post by k8i2811
Next Monday- put it off until reading week...I really hate interviews!
I think I came across as a complete idiot in Slaughter's today...

Ahh I had Slaughter's last Monday, haven't heard anything yet the waiting is killing me! Have no idea how it went cause it felt quite chilled, I think I got a bit too relaxed and let my guard down, don't feel like I impressed them at all!
Reply 1971
Original post by Ridingit66
Haven't heard from Latham or Shearman :mad:

A friend of mine interviewed with Latham on 28th Jan and got his offer last week..
Reply 1972
I have accepted a scheme at one firm but now have a clashing offer from another - is it worth asking one/both firms to change their offer? Or should I just reject the second? And how?
Reply 1973
Original post by k8i2811

I heard from Ince & Co about 3 weeks after submitting my application. They said no. :frown:
Original post by Moghul
A friend of mine interviewed with Latham on 28th Jan and got his offer last week..

Oh haha....that's awkward then.

If anyone has A&O experience I would LOVE some tips. I have an interview tomorrow and am freaking out because my CC one went so poorly. :s-smilie:
Reply 1975
Sullivan PFO after being put on hold. :angry:
Reply 1976
Interview with Olswang :smile:

any tips would be very appreciated!
Reply 1977
Original post by glitchy21
When did you apply?

November
I have applied to five vac schemes this year, and have been rejected from all of them.

To summarise, I applied with the following:

5 GCSEs
No A-Levels (I took the Open University equivalent of A-level Spanish and a couple of first year English linguistics modules in lieu of A-Levels to get to University)
A high 2.1 from a Russell Group Uni in languages.
Work experience in retail.

I was wondering whether I could be given some tips as to what might be counting against me, I haven't applied for the GDL yet, does this indicate a lack of seriousness? Is my lack of A-Levels or poor GCSEs the main problem? Lack of relevant work experience?
Original post by zterpzterp
I have applied to five vac schemes this year, and have been rejected from all of them.

To summarise, I applied with the following:

5 GCSEs
No A-Levels (I took the Open University equivalent of A-level Spanish and a couple of first year English linguistics modules in lieu of A-Levels to get to University)
A high 2.1 from a Russell Group Uni in languages.
Work experience in retail.

I was wondering whether I could be given some tips as to what might be counting against me, I haven't applied for the GDL yet, does this indicate a lack of seriousness? Is my lack of A-Levels or poor GCSEs the main problem? Lack of relevant work experience?

I think you need way more work experience in a relevant field (i.e.: law) and 5 GCSEs isn't a lot...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending