The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Indian_Prince
nope you will never get me back unless you want it to rhyme with Ganesh which would be quite an insult to god and quite a complement to me :tongue:

oioi i can talk about what i want :tongue: but fine fine ummm, lets see........ give a brief discription about what you like about your home town in india, everyone do this

Manesh with a belly like Ganesh. :tongue:

Hmm. My hometown in India.
Hyderabad- well one of my favourite places in the world. It's where the technology of the modern world and the history of the ancient world meet and blend perfectly. Well like all Indian cities, the traffic is crazy. Hardly any driving rules, and if there are who actually follows them anyway? I love the char minar area, especially during the eid celebrations, with all the lighting and the buzz of people. Oh and the Buddha in the hussain sagar lake, so cool. :biggrin:
Original post by dreamer9501
Manesh with a belly like Ganesh. :tongue:

Hmm. My hometown in India.
Hyderabad- well one of my favourite places in the world. It's where the technology of the modern world and the history of the ancient world meet and blend perfectly. Well like all Indian cities, the traffic is crazy. Hardly any driving rules, and if there are who actually follows them anyway? I love the char minar area, especially during the eid celebrations, with all the lighting and the buzz of people. Oh and the Buddha in the hussain sagar lake, so cool. :biggrin:

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :tongue: fine fine ill let you roll with that silly siri :tongue: haaa :biggrin:

wow you have certainly set the bar on hometown discriptions :redface:

Id like to say Mumbai is my hometown even though i live a little further away from it, obviously mumbai is one of those places you have to give yourself atleast 2 weeks to fully explore and get through all the shopping buzz spots :tongue: the best cars are in mumbai too, lovely city, nice and clean, no cows in the city area :tongue: so atleast you dont end up stepping in cow poop :redface: (ive never stepped in any ofcourse :tongue:) theres also nice sea sides there, but you have to be carefull if you walk out too far you might just end up having to swim your way back to the sandy parts :tongue: i could go on but its boring so now everyone describe there own hometown :redface:
Yup yup. I am. :smile:

Lol. Thanks for that video. Made me smile. :smile:

Yeah Uttar pradesh is in the north, uttar means near the top. Then there's madhya pradesh, madhya means middle. And then andhra pradesh which means the south eastern coastal state, I think. And ere himanchal pradesh, which means the region near the Himalayas. The last one is arunachal pradesh, which literally means the land of the rising sun, because it's the east most state of India. :smile: yup there are loads of pradeshs, but there are other states too, like Maharashtra, Or Haryana.:smile:

Ha yup not many people do know of Telugu, even though it's the second largest language in India. It's called the 'Italian of the east' by some people. :smile:

I'm glad. :h:

Oh wow, a lot of Pradeshs indeed. I had no idea. :tongue:
I've heard of Maharashtrama before. To be honest, I know very little about the South. One thing that surprises me is how different it is from the north. Like in terms of what people look like, how advanced the cities are, the languages, etc. It's quite remarkable.
Heyy,
I'm not Indian myself but studied in India for 4 years :biggrin:.
Now my brother is in India and will come back in September.
I'm trying to recall snack names so that he could buy when he comes back but i can only think of so little.

Please help me list name of some snacks...
I can think of :
Kurkure
Mad angles
haldiram's
leys
maggi

....???

Also, can anyone help me find out what's the size (weight in grams) of 30 rupees haldiram's snack like khatta meetha or bhujia???

Also, anyone knows the name of one snack it's kind of roast chana it's yellow colour with a little of powder comes off when you eat??

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tajmahal
hey...hi...
nice username dhoni bhai :tongue:

Ha, my name is actually Mahi :smile:
But I hated my name until Dhoni joined the India squad! :biggrin:
Original post by tajmahal
hey...hi...
nice username dhoni bhai :tongue:

Ha, my name is actually Mahi :smile:
But I hated my name until Dhoni joined the India squad! :biggrin:

I like your username as well :smile:
Original post by Long Time Coming
I'm glad. :h:

Oh wow, a lot of Pradeshs indeed. I had no idea. :tongue:
I've heard of Maharashtrama before. To be honest, I know very little about the South. One thing that surprises me is how different it is from the north. Like in terms of what people look like, how advanced the cities are, the languages, etc. It's quite remarkable.

Mumbai is part of Maharashtra :smile: yup the north and south are really different in terms of language and to some extent the people look different too. The south is a Dravidian area, whereas the north had a lot more Aryan settlers so that causes there to be a difference in culture, appearance, and language.:smile: The cities are actually pretty similar tbh. Levels of development are quite similar too.
Guys stop blanking manesh. (Indian prince) :smile:
Reply 768
Original post by cazzy-joe
Heyy,
I'm trying to recall snack names so that he could buy when he comes back but i can only think of so little.

I can think of :
Kurkure
Mad angles
haldiram's
leys
maggi

....???

Also, can anyone help me find out what's the size (weight in grams) of 30 rupees haldiram's snack like khatta meetha or bhujia???

Also, anyone knows the name of one snack it's kind of roast chana it's yellow colour with a little of powder comes off when you eat??

About the roast chana thing, if its a little spicy then I think you are talking about 'sing bhujia'?
http://cdn.nutsonline.com/images/auto/348x232/items/07483g3331.jpg

Other Indian snacks on top of my head are...
Bhakharwadi
Ghathia
Chavanu
Jalebi
Golmatol (love these)
Chevdo
And ofcourse all the sweets...
Pedaa
Barfi
Halwaasan
Kaaju Katri
Original post by (mahi_x)
Hey. Welcome to the TSR Indian Society :biggrin:
Warning: some of us on this thread are right freshies, please ignore us if you find us strange :smile:

Haha thats fine, I went to a sikh school so I'm use to it. Athough I do hang around with english people at Uni (Gorea)

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say we're probably all Indians here. :wink:

Damn! I thought I was special :frown:

:colone:

Hey welcome to the Indian society. :smile:

So where you from? What part of India? What makes you proud to be Indian?

Jalandhar - Punjabi Sikh. Rich historical culture (I use to be somewhat religious) and we invented the number zero :smile: - essentially all of the great scientific and mathematical creations we have come up with.

Shame about our political system :/
Reply 770

yeah so anyway back to cricekt :biggrin:
1st test match is on tomorrow!! they playing in lords right? well thats great, because its never sunny here
Original post by midnightL

Jalandhar - Punjabi Sikh. Rich historical culture (I use to be somewhat religious) and we invented the number zero :smile: - essentially all of the great scientific and mathematical creations we have come up with.

Shame about our political system :/

Oh cool.:smile:
Yup exactly. All major mathematical and scientific discoveries were first done by the Indians. The Europeans didn't come up with these ideas until like 1000 years later.:biggrin:

Our political system is a bit rubbish. It's supposed to be democratic but it really isn't. The leaders aren't decided by the people these days, it's hereditary, like the whole gandhi family thing. The pm is elected but even he's just a puppet for Sonia Gandhi now. The political system really needs to be taken charge of now. I think all these corruption bills might help fight against it now though, hopefully. :smile:
Guys stop blanking manesh. (Indian prince) :smile:

:tongue: no worries, i see whats going on :smile:
Original post by cazzy-joe
Heyy,

I can think of :
Kurkure
Mad angles
haldiram's
leys
maggi

....???

where did you study, just curious like, how was the enviroment there and like what different backgrounds were present in that uni? :redface:
Bruahhhhh
Original post by midnightL
Haha thats fine, I went to a sikh school so I'm use to it. Athough I do hang around with english people at Uni (Gorea)

Aaah cool! I'm a Hindu Punjabi :smile:
I hang out with Indians and White people too...and Black people as well. But my close friends are all Indian :smile:
You should! It's about the only time I've actually liked rain. :teehee:

Who doesn't. :wink: I don't actually know of any other kinds of parathas other than Gobi :tongue:

I love rain. The smell, its sound when it's really heavy. THUNDER :biggrin: :biggrin:
Dancing in rain is fun too!

There are aloo parathas (stuffed with potato), mulli parathas (think its stuffed with radish, not sure what the english word for 'Mulli' :colondollar: )

Can't remember the others :biggrin:
Original post by Kaz310

yeah so anyway back to cricekt :biggrin:
1st test match is on tomorrow!! they playing in lords right? well thats great, because its never sunny here

I AM BUBBLING WITH EXCITEMENT! I AM NOT GONNA SLEEP TONIGHT!

Maybe a bit over dramatic....but oh well :tongue:

Apparantly Yuvraj and Raina may play tomorrow :biggrin: That will make me so happy if they do. Praying Dhoni wins the toss....bats first :biggrin:

Yup at Lords :smile:
:tongue: no worries, i see whats going on :smile:

Okay ji. As you wish. :biggrin:
its aight, felt like india, appart from the cold :redface: haha looks like you did that bruno mars thingy :tongue:

i got no idea........... :tongue:

Lol, didn't notice that!

Aw India's weather, sometimes, is just amazing. Cup of tea on the balcony at 6am.....WOW :biggrin:

Cricket season again for me. Gonna be occupied with cricket till December now :redface:

Latest