Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who qualifies for free tuition fees in Scotland?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am half Scottish (Mum is from Ayrshire) and have lived in England most of my life. I am currently living in England now too.

I suppose my real question is for how long would I have to live in Scotland before Uni to qualify for free tuition? I am seriously considering all of the options to avoid £9,000 a year?!

Would a year or so living up there with my Gran suffice? :confused:

THANKS
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know - but you would think that because the rest of the UK help to pay for Scotlands free fees, that everyone born in the UK should be entitled.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll have to have lived in Scotland 3 years prior to the start of the course or "ordinarily resident" or something?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpritchx)
    I am half Scottish (Mum is from Ayrshire) and have lived in England most of my life. I am currently living in England now too.

I suppose my real question is for how long would I have to live in Scotland before Uni to qualify for free tuition? I am seriously considering all of the options to avoid £9,000 a year?!

Would a year or so living up there with my Gran suffice? :confused:

THANKS
    I was wandering the same last year, I was considering moving south of the border to get the free fees, but I didn't have any relations close enough to ask to live with so it didn't happen.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    I think you'll have to have lived in Scotland 3 years prior to the start of the course or "ordinarily resident" or something?
    Daamn looks like i'll need to be moving pretty soon then!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2011
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.