The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skip_Snip
I'm not too sure about those, because they have different target audiences, River Island and Top(Shop/Man) are for younger people, and Next is like more mature. John Lewis is a more likely contender

I would say, in terms of prestige and popularity the two you mentioned, but by target audiene John Lewis :smile:

hmmm well john lewis is on the list but Marks and Spencer and Debenhams are. On my first go i put M&S and Debenhams but then i thought marks and spencer is more for 40+ and debenhams is more female orientated :/

others on the list are:
Dorothy Perkins
Dunnes
Marks & Spencer
Matalan
New Look
Penny's
Primark
River Island
Tesco
TK Maxx
Top Shop
:eek:

After you applied online, how long was it until you were contacted by Next letting you know that you were successful?
Original post by mam.vizzle
After you applied online, how long was it until you were contacted by Next letting you know that you were successful?

They called me the day after the closing date
Original post by Rose.1994
They called me the day after the closing date

:frown: its been a week since the closing date..
Reply 224
Original post by mam.vizzle
:frown: its been a week since the closing date..

I've got an interview today for the stockroom :smile:

But for this job, the application closed on the 1st, I got a call on the 10th, interview is today (the 12th)
Reply 225
I put debehams, topshop and dorothy perkins for the competitors choice :smile:

Got a call for my interview today, applied on the 3rd, closing dates not till the 16th :smile: really hope I get it!!
can't believe there is another sale coming up :colonhash:
Reply 227
Original post by amiejade-x

I know, in my store we have the sales tshirts hung up on a rail at the entrance of the stockroom. Constant reminder that it's coming..
Reply 228
There's a sale? :| Oh god, what happens? (I'm replen).
Reply 229
I had my interview on Monday afternoon and just wondering how long it took for them to get back to you to say whether you were successful or not in getting the job?

when is the sale?
Original post by Rose.1994
when is the sale?

its next weekend apparantly :frown:
its next weekend apparantly :frown:

wow :frown:
Reply 233
Original post by _jake_
There's a sale? :| Oh god, what happens? (I'm replen).

you will be put on one of the floors or just bring stock down from the stock room, depends on the store/ managers..
Original post by Smiile
Do you have to wear next tops to work if you have a 4hr contract? I have other smart shirts and jus wanted to know if i am able to wear them.

Also the 75% discount is it until you have brought upto £75 worth of clothes or you have saved £75 off all you purchases because im confused.

The discount is up until you have brought up to £75 worth of clothes
If you opt to get the 75% discount, then yes you have to wear the next tops that you brought on your uniform discount
Do we Have to wear the sale tops Even if we weren't working there at the last sale, as I don't have one?
Reply 236
I just had my induction for next yesterday and got told my hours, I'm contrcated for up to 16 hours. The hours Ive been given only total up to 8 hours. Is this just because it's my first week?

Also I don't have my first shift until this tuesday, yet I got called up yesterday to see if I wanted to work an extra shift on Monday. I refused it, since I haven't actually started yet and it seemed silly to take on extra hours when I haven't had my first shift, was I right to? The lady on phone didn't sound too pleased when I turned it down :/
Reply 237
Original post by jessicals
I just had my induction for next yesterday and got told my hours, I'm contrcated for up to 16 hours. The hours Ive been given only total up to 8 hours. Is this just because it's my first week?

Also I don't have my first shift until this tuesday, yet I got called up yesterday to see if I wanted to work an extra shift on Monday. I refused it, since I haven't actually started yet and it seemed silly to take on extra hours when I haven't had my first shift, was I right to? The lady on phone didn't sound too pleased when I turned it down :/

I'm contracted for 4 hours on Saturdays and for the first two weeks I worked my contract, now I'm working around 12hrs a week. I believe they offer three contracts, 4, 8 and 16 so I'd guess you'll be working more than 20hrs pw in no time at all.
Reply 238
Original post by _jake_
I'm contracted for 4 hours on Saturdays and for the first two weeks I worked my contract, now I'm working around 12hrs a week. I believe they offer three contracts, 4, 8 and 16 so I'd guess you'll be working more than 20hrs pw in no time at all.

That will be good then :smile: Does anyone know whether on the first day do I just sign in and go straight to the department I'm working on and see the manager? Do they give me the passcodes and things then so I can put my stuff in a locker? Nothing was really explained in the induction.

Sorry about all these questions, it's my first job and I'm nervous haha
Reply 239
I'd just go straight to the floor manager you're working on or if you have a sign in sheet (like a register to see who's in the building for fires and such) sign that first. The manager should then show you how to clock in and you'll probably be teamed with someone for the first few hours. As for lockers we just have a room out back that use the £ coin system, no codes.

This is my first job too, and I really know how you feel! I guess when you start to go often you'll feel more relaxed and everyone I've met so far has been really friendly. Hope you have fun!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending