The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Yeah there's a register by the staff enterence, so I'll sign that first. I'm not sure whether I needed to know any codes on the way to the locker room. I'll have a look on tuesday and make sure I get there early.

I know it'll be fine once I'm all settled in, it's just all new at the minute haha. Glad your having a good time there. The peope I spoke to during my induction were nice too, which is good!
Reply 241
Original post by jessicals

Yeah there's a register by the staff enterence, so I'll sign that first. I'm not sure whether I needed to know any codes on the way to the locker room. I'll have a look on tuesday and make sure I get there early.

I know it'll be fine once I'm all settled in, it's just all new at the minute haha. Glad your having a good time there. The peope I spoke to during my induction were nice too, which is good!

The store I work at is huge with other three levels and the codes are all the same so you'll be told what they are on your first day. Are you a xmas temp if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 242
Thats good then. Nope, I'm permanent part time I think, since only one person was told that they were temp at the induction and she told the rest of us that we were part time. I'm hoping I'm permanent anyway haha. I applied for part time stockroom assistant at first, but got offered an interview for shop floor because they need people to cover weekday shifts.
Reply 243
I just had my induction for next yesterday and got told my hours, I'm contrcated for up to 16 hours. The hours Ive been given only total up to 8 hours. Is this just because it's my first week?

Also I don't have my first shift until this tuesday, yet I got called up yesterday to see if I wanted to work an extra shift on Monday. I refused it, since I haven't actually started yet and it seemed silly to take on extra hours when I haven't had my first shift, was I right to? The lady on phone didn't sound too pleased when I turned it down :/

The way contracts work in Next is pretty good if you want flexible working hours. Basically the 8 hours you've been contracted will be your contract hours, which you obviously have to work, and they wont change unless management tell you in advance, so don't worry they're gauranteed. Next offer part time staff up to 16 hours a week, so despite what was said unless it's sale time / exceptionally busy you won't be working more than that really.
Basically you register on the online portal system to say what hours you're available, and get shifts assigned to suit you to make up to 16 hours, though these aren't compulsary it's good to take them.

For your first shift just come in about 15 minutes early, as I'm assuming you haven't been given any payroll information yet, sign into the building, get your valuables put away into a locker then go back down to the tillpoint in your department and just say you're a new starter and you'll be able to talk to a manager / supervisor and they'll make sure you're sorted from there :smile:
Just be sure to turn up in plenty of time, as you won't be able to clock in without your payroll number, and if you don't clock in / out on the till you won't be paid!

Also about not taking the Monday, were you busy that day or did you just say no? They may have seen that in a bad light if you're refusing extra shifts already :/
Reply 244
Also since when did Sundays get busy?! Today I was stood at the till serving a customer while on hold to another store (phone just stretched across to the tills) while explaining to another staff member how to page for a supervisor all at once. Serious skillz.
Reply 245
Ah, that makes sense then. I was busy, since I wasn't expected to be offered any extra shifts on the Monday as during induction I was told that my first shift would be on Tuesday. So I assumed that if I was going to be offered any more shifts it would be on the Tuesday. I was a bit confused to be honest about how I could cover for somebody when I wasn't trained yet. Hopefully they won't be angry about it.. It's all happened a bit fast, I only applied to next on Tuesday 13th, then I had a call for an interview on Weds, Friday I went the interview and then Friday night they called me to come for an induction on Saturday! They waste no time there haha.
It's all happened a bit fast, I only applied to next on Tuesday 13th, then I had a call for an interview on Weds, Friday I went the interview and then Friday night they called me to come for an induction on Saturday! They waste no time there haha.

They must be desperately short staffed judging from that

I'm not saying that's the only reason you'd be hired :P just they'll probably ignore it this once because they don't wanna scare you away :smile:
For the first time in two years they actually haven't put me down for sale or turn around :biggrin: quite a highlight lol
Reply 248
Just wondering if anyone knows whether next always contact you on the outcome of your application?

I applied for a job and the closing date was the 9th and not heard anything back? Im assuming I was just unsuccessful...but in the email it said they would email you if you didn't get it- so is there still a a chance of interview?
i may be clinging to false hope here :P

x
Reply 249
Original post by Naathan_b
For the first time in two years they actually haven't put me down for sale or turn around :biggrin: quite a highlight lol

Lucky you! From the look of the rota for this Saturday we've got the whole department coming in through the day, rather than the usual 4-6. Can't wait for a cheeky bit of recovery..
Original post by Naathan_b

Lucky, Im in at 6 on saturday
Reply 251
I'm still standing!
Reply 252
I remember the sale tops last year where there was a choice between 'Sale Survivor' or 'I'm Still Standing'..I wanted the second one so bad! Just for the funny-ness!

Sale wasn't that bad this weekend at my store!! I went in today to find some new uniform..walked out empty handed!
Reply 253
Original post by monty_x
I remember the sale tops last year where there was a choice between 'Sale Survivor' or 'I'm Still Standing'..I wanted the second one so bad! Just for the funny-ness!

Sale wasn't that bad this weekend at my store!! I went in today to find some new uniform..walked out empty handed!

I've got 2 of the standard "...Still standing!" tshirts atm, though I know a couple from my old store who had about 4 as they gave out new ones each sale! I was surprised how calm it was, then again only mid-season. Only problem was with the guy who came in and bought over £200 worth of clothes, most of which was the £6ish toddler sets...only time I had to ask another staff member to wrap..was a struggle to get it into a couple of bags..

Was helping a couple of the newer till trained staff through transactions when they were a bit unsure and was so strange considering I was in their position a few months ago panicking! It's great to actually feel helpful rather than chasing other staff around asking how to make the till stop hating me! :P
i had an interview with next today and i got the job like 10 minutes after! it wa a group interview and we all got jobs :biggrin: I'm so excited it's unbelievable
Reply 255
When do you guys get your payslips? I had my first wages come through last week via cheque (my bank account got messed up) but a payslip wasn't in the letter. Also, did any of you get Emergency tax codes? This is my first job and only got £80 when I should of got over £100... I believe I'm on Emergency tax but can't check until the payslip comes through. Do they sort that out themselves (hopefully by next pay day) or do I need to go speak to someone? Thanks guys.
I tried applying for some Xmas temps for the storeroom today but it wouldn't let me as I don't habe any retail experience.... :frown: I've applied for jobs at next before without any...are they toughening up more now? :/
Reply 257
Original post by _jake_
When do you guys get your payslips? I had my first wages come through last week via cheque (my bank account got messed up) but a payslip wasn't in the letter. Also, did any of you get Emergency tax codes? This is my first job and only got £80 when I should of got over £100... I believe I'm on Emergency tax but can't check until the payslip comes through. Do they sort that out themselves (hopefully by next pay day) or do I need to go speak to someone? Thanks guys.

You collect your payslip from the office, except if you're a sales temp and then it'll be mailed to you. And for tax did you not fill out a P46 on your induction? You should get a letter from HM Revenue giving you a tax code, and you'll get a cheque back later in the year.
(apologies in advance for this essay!)

Hi, i wonder if any of you who work in next can help me?

I got a job as a stockroom assistant at the beginning on september and a temp till 26th nov on a 4 hr flexi contract on sunday 2.30-6.30.

I thought this meant i had to work those hours on a sunday and then they would ring me for any overtime if there was any and stuff. (this is who it worked in both my previous retail jobs)

Beofre my first actual sunday shift i got a call saying i was working the friday and the saturday so i went in and that was all fine but on the sunday morning i was getting ready for work and at 12.30 had a phone call asking where i was. Apparently they had changed my shift from 2.30-6.30 to 12-4 because of "business needs" the problem with this is there are no buses running from where i live on a sunday untill 13.30 so i couldnt get there. They said that i would be in 12-4 every sunday as that is when the delivery will be coming in for the next few months (so why contract me for a completely irrelevant time?!) of course this is a problem as i cant get there by 12 on a sunday. Luckily my department manager was nice about it and just swapped me unofficially for saturday shifts.

This was all going fine and i did a few shifts in the week too, untill uni restarted. We were told to update our availability in the nep so i did. I;m going to london this friday evening as part of my uni course and I put in for the holiday as soon as i started. This was ignored and i got an auto reject back. I spoke to the department manager about swapping my saturday for a day in the week and she said yea ring me in the week about 3 times so it still hasnt been sorted and im going this saturday, this doesnt leave me much time to work in this week now as i have uni to go to aswell.

This saturday just gone i had to call in sick (this probably doesnt help thing when ive already complicated things moving my shifts to a saturday) because ive got the most excruciating toothache and a massive swollen gum. i had to visit the emergenct dentist and turns out my wisdom tooth and gum is infected. So they are pissed off with my for not going in saturday just gone and now just spoke to them abut swapping this saturday and shes also put me in for friday 5-9. I said i cant do friday cos ill be on my way to london and she got really arsey with me saying im telling them i cant do any shifts which is a complete load of crap cos last saturday i missed a shift for a genuine reason (i also have a medical note to show them) and i asked ages ao about swapping this saturday cos of going to london! (which i have now had to swap for Wednesday afternoon which means missing lectures:s-smilie:) I also dont see how shes getting ****ty with me for saying i cant do this friday when i filled in on my availability planner that i wasnt available. How is it my fault if they put me in when ive already said i cant do it and whats the point in filling in my availability when theyre not even going to take notice of it?!

So now when i go in on wednesday i have to talk to the manager, i know the whole not being bale to work sundays thing goes against me but when i signed my contract i though i was going to be working 2.30-6.30 every sunday and knowing the buses start at 13.30 thought thats great, no problem buttt where do i stand with everything else? I feel like im getting stick for not being availble at their beck and call when they know i have uni. why do they take on so many young people if they want staff that are avaiable all the time?! I feel like just quitting cos i cba with the hassle and now i feel embarrassed to go in but i need the money! helpp?! haha
err just wondering are we allowed to wear jeans? cos i'm starting work on monday and the manager was wearing jeans today but i thought we could only wear trousers :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending