The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

I've just started a stockroom position in glasgow, i'm 18 and the contract states I will get paid £5.25 is this correct? I thought it was £6.08 for 18 year olds?!
Reply 621
Original post by nicole,xox
I've just started a stockroom position in glasgow, i'm 18 and the contract states I will get paid £5.25 is this correct? I thought it was £6.08 for 18 year olds?!

Aww man, I'm doing a stockroom position and I'm only getting paid £4.98 per hour :frown:

And nope, the minimum wage is £4.98 for 18-21 years olds and £6.08 for people aged 21+.
Hi guys,

I've applied for a vacancy at Next of a part time temporary sales consultant for a 3 hour contract. I am genuinely excited about this and really want to work at Next! I received an email today basically saying that i may get a call sometime soon inviting me to an interview. But the problem is i've got 4 university exams coming up during the next 2 weeks and i am really worried that they may try to call me (that is if i am successful to get an interview) during an exam...and as i'll have my phone switched off during an exam for obvious reasons they may not get through to me. Plus i've heard that they call using a withheld number which you can't call back, so i'm worried if they do try and call me during an exam and not get through, they may just give up and not bother trying to call me again or if they do it might be during my next exam or so if i'm really unlucky....The only way i could tell is if i find a missed call on my phone from a withheld number, but as i've applied to several different jobs recently, it may not be so easy to determine who exactly called me.....
Reply 623
With the recent manhour review, my hours have been cut. I used to get a £200 uniform allowance on a 12 hour contract, which is now 9.75. Any idea what it is? It sucks if it's £75...:frown:
Reply 624
Original post by Lintu93
Aww man, I'm doing a stockroom position and I'm only getting paid £4.98 per hour :frown:

And nope, the minimum wage is £4.98 for 18-21 years olds and £6.08 for people aged 21+.

As far as I am aware, Next pay £6.08 for 18+, as they did for me joined when I joined aged 18. (now 19)
Urghhhhh. Next. I applied to be a Christmas temp a few years ago and they offered me a permanent contract instead as they liked me.

Honestly though, I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be and it's mind numbingly boring. Coming from working in a small family run business to such a big company most of their rules just don't make sense.

You're covering fitting rooms and it's all clean and there's no one there so you'd think the logical thing to so would be to do something else nearby that needs doing whilst keeping an eye out? OH NO NOT AT NEXT. At Next you literally stand there doing nothing.

Also the rules about holidays are weird. Some areas are just no go even if people can cover them. A woman who worked there for 5 years had to resign be rehired just so she could get some time off...
Original post by Patrik
As far as I am aware, Next pay £6.08 for 18+, as they did for me joined when I joined aged 18. (now 19)

When I was there I was 18 and got paid the min wage for 21+ :smile:
Reply 627
Original post by Patrik

Hmmm. Well I'm quite new so haven't received my first pay check yet but at my induction was told I'd be getting paid £4.98. I hope they made a mistake there! That extra £1.10 per hour would mean a lot to me at the moment! :redface:
Original post by johnsoloman
Hi guys,

I've applied for a vacancy at Next of a part time temporary sales consultant for a 3 hour contract. I am genuinely excited about this and really want to work at Next! I received an email today basically saying that i may get a call sometime soon inviting me to an interview. But the problem is i've got 4 university exams coming up during the next 2 weeks and i am really worried that they may try to call me (that is if i am successful to get an interview) during an exam...and as i'll have my phone switched off during an exam for obvious reasons they may not get through to me. Plus i've heard that they call using a withheld number which you can't call back, so i'm worried if they do try and call me during an exam and not get through, they may just give up and not bother trying to call me again or if they do it might be during my next exam or so if i'm really unlucky....The only way i could tell is if i find a missed call on my phone from a withheld number, but as i've applied to several different jobs recently, it may not be so easy to determine who exactly called me.....

When I had my interview for Next, the woman who rang left a voicemail asking if I could ring her back to arrange an interview :smile: although she didn't actually leave the store number, so I found on the official website and got it from there :smile: so hopefully if they have any sense, the manager of the store that you applied for will do the same, but hopefully with the number! Good luck though :smile: xx
Original post by TanyaZoexx
When I had my interview for Next, the woman who rang left a voicemail asking if I could ring her back to arrange an interview :smile: although she didn't actually leave the store number, so I found on the official website and got it from there :smile: so hopefully if they have any sense, the manager of the store that you applied for will do the same, but hopefully with the number! Good luck though :smile: xx

Thank you :smile:
I'll let you guys know what happens next.... :wink:
Hi guys!
I applied mine and said I would heard from them soon so how long was it did you heard from them for interview?
Also, Is it essential to have previous experience of working in retail for a sales consultant? As i've never worked in retail before and consequently have no experience...But i do work in a fast food restaurant at the moment on a part time basis. So i am hoping i could draw upon my experience of working in a fast paced busy environment, working in a team, and sometimes dealing with customers... I am just a little worried that i am going to be up against other people with like years of retail experience and not stand a chance up against them.

Another question, being a typical guy that i am, i'll be honest i don't really know much at all about fashion and the latest trends going on etc , so i am starting to panic a little now as i don't know anything about fashion and they might grill me about it... But then again i might be able to have a rough idea from a quick search of the internet but it's not going to be comprehensive and if they delve further it's going to be obvious i don't know much. But will they sort of understand and bear in mind that once i get trained in the job my knowledge will improve? The truth why i want the job, is to get that customer service experience and improve my confidence and communication skills. Also, i do genuinely like most of the clothes at Next (most of my clothes in my wardrobe are from Next lol) i would buy from there more often but they are a bit expensive :tongue: So i do really like Next and it appears to be a great company to work for...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 632
Original post by Patrik
With the recent manhour review, my hours have been cut. I used to get a £200 uniform allowance on a 12 hour contract, which is now 9.75. Any idea what it is? It sucks if it's £75...:frown:

yep it is £75..
Reply 633
deleted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 634
I always get an email saying that I failed the test :frown: Can someone help please? :confused:
Reply 635
Original post by Lintu93

I work in a store in Reading and get £6.08 and I've just turned 18 - maybe it depends on location, time you've worked there? :s-smilie:
Reply 636
Original post by Patrik
Oh no :frown: Thanks for the answer. When does it become £200? It's so annoying if it's 10 hours.

Who negged him? Doing so makes no sense whatsoever, unless you know they are wrong. In which case, you would have been better off correcting him.

your welcome, it goes up at 12 hour contracts..

thanks for the rant lol
Hi,

I have an interview for next tomorrow and I'm absolutely bricking it! I had an interview before but they never got back to me so I was just wondering if anyone had some 'insider tips', particularly if they work at next themselves?

Thanks x
Reply 638
Why is everyone at next on such low hours? its great having that job but its hard working so little.
In the interview just complement next on their high customer service, and how important it is to deliver a high standard of customer care. it's all about the customer and being polite and helpful. I never had retail experience and the manager told me it wasnt essential bcos next train you and staff that work there will help you learn what to do.
i find at next, the managers are very stressed and i dont find it very layed back there. but it's a nice shop. not sure i fit in.
Ok so I just got back from the interview and it was sooo different from the previous next interview I went on; I basically got given a multiple choice questionnaire to fill out and then just had to explain my work experience, etc. I didn't really like it because I felt I had little opportunity to let my personality shine as it was just choosing from a group of answers so I felt quite contrived and constrained with my answers. I really don't think I did well at all. Rant over :wink: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending