The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryanroks1
Just had my sales temp induction, so I thought I'd share a few things that might help some people.

Firstly, the shifts listed on your NEP could be wrong. This was the case for everyone at my induction, and instead we were handed out a little card which had room for us to write them down. This was a bit annoying for me because NEP said I started at 11am, whereas actually it's 5:30am! As for the uniform, we were told to wear casual for the Friday evening where you'll basically be marking down the stock, and then we were provided with free sale t-shirts which must be worn on the day of the sale. I'm not sure if this is company wide policy, but at least that's the case for the store I'm at. The induction was quite lengthy and involved a few videos, and then a few practical exercises to test using the marking down equipment and to practice recovery at speed (basically picking up clothes). After that, we had a tour of the store and fire exits and then a debrief to tell us where to go on arrival.

Did it last the full 2 hours?
Original post by PsychologyNerdy
Did it last the full 2 hours?

Yeah, we actually went over by around 15 mins. I think it varies from store to store as I've heard others didn't have to do any of the practical exercises (I'm guessing they'll get quickly trained on their shift).
Next keep changing my times on my portal :frown:

One of my shifts now say admin, what does this mean I will do?
Original post by dragong
Next keep changing my times on my portal :frown:

One of my shifts now say admin, what does this mean I will do?

Are you a sales temp? Have you had an induction yet?
Are you a sales temp? Have you had an induction yet?

Yes I have had my induction and yes I am a sales temp too!
Original post by dragong
Yes I have had my induction and yes I am a sales temp too!

I'd give them a call then just to double check :smile:

I know that, at least for my store, we're just ignoring the NEP's shifts and doing the ones assigned to us on a little card by the manager.
Guys I'm a summer sales temp and I've just looked at the shifts in my shift marketplace in NEP.... there's a one hour shift available on Friday...... anybody know what on earth I'll be doing if I work this shift? That's for one hour?!
Original post by Danishere
Guys I'm a summer sales temp and I've just looked at the shifts in my shift marketplace in NEP.... there's a one hour shift available on Friday...... anybody know what on earth I'll be doing if I work this shift? That's for one hour?!

If it's in the evening, it'll probably be to mark-down the sales stock. You'll use a scanner to find out the sale price of each item and then tag on the appropriate sale card (ie 50% off).
If it's in the evening, it'll probably be to mark-down the sales stock. You'll use a scanner to find out the sale price of each item and then tag on the appropriate sale card (ie 50% off).

Yeah, it's in the evening. Thanks for the quick reply, I took the shift! :smile:
Original post by PsychologyNerdy
On mine it has WW next to it and it means womenswear

Didn't realise that, thanks!
Reply 6430
Original post by zoepetre
I got about 5 extra shifts, but I literally checked NEP every hour every day.

Do you know if you can actually work those shifts?
I'm confused, because originally I had 3 or 4 shifts, and the NEP said there were extra shifts available, so I booked about 4, I have one tomorrow, but i'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do because sales wouldn't have started, and I'm not sure if those shifts were for a temp.
Original post by fope
Do you know if you can actually work those shifts?
I'm confused, because originally I had 3 or 4 shifts, and the NEP said there were extra shifts available, so I booked about 4, I have one tomorrow, but i'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do because sales wouldn't have started, and I'm not sure if those shifts were for a temp.

How long are those shifts for? I've booked an extra shift as well and was wondering the same thing.
Reply 6432
How long are those shifts for? I've booked an extra shift as well and was wondering the same thing.

My shifts are around 4 hours each. But I booked around 4 of them.
Original post by fope
My shifts are around 4 hours each. But I booked around 4 of them.

I'm assuming we can take them but I'm gonna call up my store tomorrow and see what the deal is, just in case.
I have a 3 hour one off shift on Friday 17th. I'm not sure who I can ask for reference. The over time option is not available in this store too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In case this is of any help to anyone...
1) dress smartly for induction this is not essential but they recommend it on the email I wore skinny jeans and a shirt
2) induction involves short dvd about working at next, bit of learning what to do on sale day, tour of the store and you can ask questions etc
3)on the NEP blue shifts are available shifts you can pick these up if you wan to work more (click on shift, work this shift, tick box at bottom and press accept)
4) for temps sometimes in order for the NEP system to work they need to put that youre doing a certain amount of hours a week even though youre not, for example the NEP showed I was doing two more shifts in addition to the sale but these changed to orange and i was confused as to whether or not i was meant to attend but next rang and explained the above-now they've dissapeared
5) if youre doing shifts before or after the sale wear eg whie shirt, black pencil skirt black shoes and for sale eg red sale top (if youre going in for a shift before the sale pick on up then thats what i did), black trousers, black shoes
6) wear a watch for your shifts so you know when youre finish
7) if youre a temp and doing shifts before or after the sale you will be doing recovery which is tidying the shop floor ensuring things are in age order etc. and be prepared to have customers come up to you and ask for things in another size etc. (don't panic if you cant remember how to ask someone but you go to the till scan I which will say if its in the back then if it is go to the stockroom and find it-stockroom is in departments and ordered in product codes I think)
8) under 18s get £5.55 an hour
9) arrive 10-15 minutes early and 1. go to till to clock in-youll need your payroll number, 2. go upstairs and put your bag in a temp locker (ones without names on and youll need a pound, 3. go to the toilet if need it 4. go to staff room and sign in in the book 5. sit in there chat and wait for shift 6. go to department stated on NEP eg WW=womenswear and see a member of staff there who will tell you what to do
10) keep uniform hung up so doesnt crease unlike mine woops
11) if customer does ask for something in the back ensure you repeat what size/ what it is they want and take a mental note of what they look like so you can find them again-easy to forget
12) if you have any queries I recommend ringing up your branch if youre at home or asking anyone when youre working there-all the staff in store are always really friendly
13) try and remember names of staff to be polite, so its easier to speak to them and so if a customer asks you something you don't know you can sa "let me check with charlotte" for example
14)be confident and try and make a good impression as youre representing next and they may be looking to keep people on afterwards
15) sale is crazyyyyy hectic be prepared for that
16) person at my induction which was for temps told us how to do extra shifts so yes temps are allowed to take available shifts however I dont think i was very appreciated at mine as being a temp im not till trained
*these are just from my experience
sorry for how long this is, good luck everyone!!!
(edited 8 years ago)

I did a shift for an hour- an extra one I picked up- found it very useful as I now feel prepared for when I come in on sale day plus it goes very fast
Reply 6437
What did you do during the shift? I have a four hour one tomorrow, but my induction was only today so I'm worried
finally found extra shifts on the NEP I was wondering why there was none before. Got one from 5:30-6:30pm tomorrow. My induction is 9 in the morning so i'll have to get so many buses that day but I wanted to take it for the experience anyway. Took another one saturday 5pm-7pm. It says its in menswear. Are people sure that temps can take this a week before sales? I suppose they wouldn't put them up otherwise but wanted to be sure. I told them I couldn't make my first shift on thursday next week so I got a shift for 3 hours on tuesday but it just says null beside it so no idea where i'm suppose to go for it!
I can't find any extra shifts?! Constantly looking as well! Anyone know what the training portal is for and how to access?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending