The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SOPHIE!
You just put your available hours because usually there's a few vacancies at once so they might ask you if you'd do another shift pattern. Also, if someone rings in sick or something they can ring up people who they know are available on that day if they can cover etc.

Not sure what actually determines the interview but I'm guessing as long as you're flexible with hours that's the most important thing. Just keep applying, you'll get there :smile:

In saying that, they've changed the application system because I worked there a few years ago and then you had to talk about experience and skills etc. and then do a quiz thing. No idea why they've changed it cause this current system seems silly to me but ah well!

I remember the old application and Im actually glad theyve gotten rid of it, I used to sit for ages writing the same things over and over again about achievements because I didn't have the sense to copy it so I could use it for next time. But at the same time this new application does just feel like they'll hire you because of you availability which is a bit rubbish
Was also wondering if you could easily change your hours? Ive got uni starting next month but still haven't got my timetable so would I be able to apply for jobs but if my timetable clashes with them then will they be able to change them?
Oh no.The stores at my university town have no vacancies :frown:
I don't want to quit because I'll be jobless.This year I need to work whilst at university :/ .Idk what to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NellyMelly
Oh no.The stores at my university town have no vacancies :frown:
I don't want to quit because I'll be jobless.This year I need to work whilst at university :/ .Idk what to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask your manager if they can get you transferred. If you're fully trained they may be able to pull some strings if they know the managers at the store you're looking to transfer to. It would help a lot if you're a 4 star employee too.

Although personally if I were in your position I would just look for another job. There's other retail jobs out there that pay better than Next and you seem to have had a terrible experience judging from what you've posted on here, so I can't imagine why you'd want to continue working for Next if what you've said is true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goodwinning
Ask your manager if they can get you transferred. If you're fully trained they may be able to pull some strings if they know the managers at the store you're looking to transfer to. It would help a lot if you're a 4 star employee too.

Although personally if I were in your position I would just look for another job. There's other retail jobs out there that pay better than Next and you seem to have had a terrible experience judging from what you've posted on here, so I can't imagine why you'd want to continue working for Next if what you've said is true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you:smile:
Mate ,I would leave at a drop of a hat if I could but I've been searching & there are no jobs-con of a small town.The big closest city is 32 miles away ,since it's 30+ miles away I'm not legible to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NellyMelly
Thank you:smile:
Mate ,I would leave at a drop of a hat if I could but I've been searching & there are no jobs-con of a small town.The big closest city is 32 miles away ,since it's 30+ miles away I'm not legible to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose that's another factor - location. At my store there are 20+ vacancies right now!

What about your SU? Maybe you could work for them? It may be better for you because they'll also be more flexible with hours when it comes to deadlines/revision time during exam period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know why I can't offer my shift up on the NEP marketplace?
Reply 6927
Original post by GingieDiddie
Does anyone know why I can't offer my shift up on the NEP marketplace?

Could you see the shift before Friday? If not, you'll be able to offer it tomorrow I should think. If it you could see it before Friday then I have no idea, unless you've already offered 1/2 of your contracted hours.
Anyone know how long it took before they got their uniform allowance?

Name badge too?
Original post by Hello9325
Anyone know how long it took before they got their uniform allowance?

Name badge too?

I've been there almost two months now and no ones even mentioned my uniform allowance and I've been working almost every day.

I got my name badge about a week after I started.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been there almost two months now and no ones even mentioned my uniform allowance and I've been working almost every day.

I got my name badge about a week after I started.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow 2 months& here's me worrying after a week. Didn't know if it was worth chasing it up with anyone or just wait for now?

I don't know if it's just my store, but I've noticed that other sales staff are expected to teach you everything. There's not been much management support when it comes to training
Wow 2 months& here's me worrying after a week. Didn't know if it was worth chasing it up with anyone or just wait for now?

I don't know if it's just my store, but I've noticed that other sales staff are expected to teach you everything. There's not been much management support when it comes to training

Yeah, they don't train you at all.

I was only able to be put on tills because I spent one of my shifts just constantly nagging people to put me on the tills. I've only recently been put on for returns because I kept going on about it for the last 2 weeks and I asked a pretty easy-going member of staff who put me on for them. Whenever you ask a manager it's always "we'll get it sorted tomorrow" or they waffle on vaguely about some company policy that no one has even heard of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, they don't train you at all.

I was only able to be put on tills because I spent one of my shifts just constantly nagging people to put me on the tills. I've only recently been put on for returns because I kept going on about it for the last 2 weeks and I asked a pretty easy-going member of staff who put me on for them. Whenever you ask a manager it's always "we'll get it sorted tomorrow" or they waffle on vaguely about some company policy that no one has even heard of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Luckily I've already been given a till pin. One of the girls trained me on normal transactions and directory returns

Just find it surprising that a company as big as Next doesn't think it's necessary to give staff proper training
Luckily I've already been given a till pin. One of the girls trained me on normal transactions and directory returns

Just find it surprising that a company as big as Next doesn't think it's necessary to give staff proper training

I think you'll find that most retail jobs don't give proper training and leave you to learn on the job - even the big companies. Personally, I don't think proper training is necessary anyway because it's easy enough to ask staff and most of it's common sense anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you'll find that most retail jobs don't give proper training and leave you to learn on the job - even the big companies. Personally, I don't think proper training is necessary anyway because it's easy enough to ask staff and most of it's common sense anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've worked in retail for a few years now and I've always had a bit more than this.

I agree it is common sense, but just found it surprising how you're expected just to get on with it.
I've worked in retail for a few years now and I've always had a bit more than this.

I agree it is common sense, but just found it surprising how you're expected just to get on with it.

This is my first retail job so I can't comment on experience with other employers but from what I've heard from family and friends who've worked at other places they all say the same thing to some extent - that it's all learning on the job.

Although I do agree that with Next, considering how many tasks there are in the role of lowly sales consultant in comparison to other places, it is rather surprising and can be frustrating at times that you aren't trained or at least advised on certain things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is the uniform of a stockroom assistant?
Reply 6937
Original post by Blyts-_
What is the uniform of a stockroom assistant?

Just a pair of dark blue or black Jeans and comfortable dark trainers really. You should get given a blue and grey polo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Somebody pull me out of my misery!!!!!!

Two receipts came out after a retail order & I didn't think about it until the man left ,it was so busy 😁😁

Did I double order?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6939
Has anyone been told when the sale is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending