The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

I had a phone interview for sales consultant yesterday - if I do get it, when should I hear back?
How does anyone get a job at Next? I have passed the online test but they have never called me on the phone, the only thing I'm getting is the rejection emails with the blahblah. Based on what do they call you? They don't ask for work experience in the online application or anything like that. I filled in everything, I have no criminal convictions, I have an EU passport and I'm available every day all day. Why am I not even given a phone call?? :s-smilie:
Does anyone know why my shift tomorrow is marked orange and says absence? I didn't request for tomorrow off either online or to a manager and no one mentioned anything about it to me today.

Normally if I've had shifts cut they just disappear from my rota not marked as absence.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Don't worry, I had exactly the same questions :tongue: When the applications are in, they shortlist the ones they want to take further. In my case, I got shortlisted and a week or two later the manager rang me and gave me a really short phone interview. He just asked a few questions about my experience and stuff, nothing tough. We then organised a date for the induction (which you get paid for by the way) two weeks later. From what I remember, it only took about an hour or so. We gave them our birth certificates and stuff so they could photocopy and then we watched a couple of videos. One on 'what if someone tries to bomb the store!' and the other on general sales policies and stuff, and how things run during the sales. We then got taken on a short tour, first to the main stockroom where we could learn how to clock in and out. We all had a go at that and we got the information of our first shifts then too, so when and which department. We also got our payroll numbers then. Then they showed us how to use the little tagging machines in case we were put on repricing items on one of our shifts. After that, they took us down to the shop floor and showed us where things were, and showed us how to sign in/out. After that all we had to do was pick up our things back at the office upstairs then sign out, and we were good to go. Then all we had to do was turn up for our first shift, whenever that was :tongue:

As for working there, if you're on the shop floor you'll most likely be tidying up and helping customers until they've till trained you, and then you'll do a bit of both. You'll be assigned a department, so you won't have the whole shop to deal with! You may also be put as front of house, in which case you'll be stood by the doors greeting people and offering bags. The night before the sale, pretty much everyone will be in until late bringing stock to the shop floor, rearranging everything, and pricing/tagging ready for the sale to start in the early hours of the next morning. When it comes to sale time, you will be tidying a lot. The dressing rooms will be closed so no one will be working that. It's mainly gonna be tidying, offering bags, and till work. It's very fast paced, but I always liked working on the tills :tongue:

I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Did they ask for references / did they check them?
Original post by arcenciel21
Did they ask for references / did they check them?

They didn't ask, but my contract was only for a few weeks for the sale after Christmas. As far as I'm aware, they do ask. My cousin currently works at Next and she got asked, and they did check
I passed the phone interview, have the in-person interview on friday, yaaaay :smile:
Original post by lawlieto
How does anyone get a job at Next? I have passed the online test but they have never called me on the phone, the only thing I'm getting is the rejection emails with the blahblah. Based on what do they call you? They don't ask for work experience in the online application or anything like that. I filled in everything, I have no criminal convictions, I have an EU passport and I'm available every day all day. Why am I not even given a phone call?? :s-smilie:

They do phone interviews based on how high you scored on the online assessment and your availability. It could just be that you applied too late (even a week after the advert was posted is kinda late) and many people pass the online assessment and they cannot phone everyone. If you keep passing the assessment + have good availability + apply early then you will eventually get a phone interview, I applied once last year and got a phone interview but didnt take it cause I had found another job, I applied earlier this year and I was rejected even though I gave the same asnwers and availability and I applied yesterday and got a phone interview and passed today.
This is some old thread...
Btw, do you get paid monthly?
What is the pay rate for a 22 year old? Please tell me the 7.20 isnt just for over 25s! lol

Also, how much does the uniform cost?
(edited 7 years ago)
Can I ask about uniform for guys, I just got a job at next and not sure what to wear, is it ok to wear a white shirt every time with a different tie and vary between grey black and navy trousers? I have a few shifts a week and don't want it to seem I'm always wearing the same sort of thing
Original post by arcenciel21
Btw, do you get paid monthly?
What is the pay rate for a 22 year old? Please tell me the 7.20 isnt just for over 25s! lol

Also, how much does the uniform cost?

We get paid on the 26th of every month (unless that falls on a weekend or bank holiday). I'm not sure what the answer to your question about pay is though. As for uniform, you get an allowance based on the amount of hours you're contracted to. You'll pay 25% of the total cost (unless it goes over your allowance then you just get 25% discount).

Original post by Classics7979
Can I ask about uniform for guys, I just got a job at next and not sure what to wear, is it ok to wear a white shirt every time with a different tie and vary between grey black and navy trousers? I have a few shifts a week and don't want it to seem I'm always wearing the same sort of thing

That should be fine as long as it looks smart. You will get a uniform allowance but whether you want to use it is up to you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

I'm thinking of leaving Next in the next couple of weeks, I wanted to know how I would do that? Do I write a letter to give to the manager or can I just give a verbal notice?
Original post by biostudent97
Hi,

I'm thinking of leaving Next in the next couple of weeks, I wanted to know how I would do that? Do I write a letter to give to the manager or can I just give a verbal notice?

Hey there, you need to write a resignation letter, this is so they have a written copy of resignation, as sometimes you cant trust saying it verbally, as they can technically turn around and say you 'you never told us'!
Hi guys!Recently got a job at next. On the NEP system it says "Time Off", does anyone know what this means?
How long does it take for them to call you? Applied yesterday and was shortlisted today and the email said "The team will aim to contact you with a decision as soon as possible, however in busy recruitment periods this can often be up to 2 weeks after the closing date"
It says the call is to arrange an interview though. The closing date is the 23/08/16 so im just wondering if i have to wait a whole month or what?
Original post by 345423KNL
Hi guys!Recently got a job at next. On the NEP system it says "Time Off", does anyone know what this means?

Assuming you mean the part of your shift that is dark green that says this, it means that you can take that time off if you wish. So if you want to leave early or start later you can do so.

Original post by ///curious
How long does it take for them to call you? Applied yesterday and was shortlisted today and the email said "The team will aim to contact you with a decision as soon as possible, however in busy recruitment periods this can often be up to 2 weeks after the closing date"
It says the call is to arrange an interview though. The closing date is the 23/08/16 so im just wondering if i have to wait a whole month or what?

In my store they would usually leave it until the closing date but that may not be the same for all stores.
Original post by amoosebouche
Hi,

Just wondering does any work at next? If so, how much do you get paid?

Hi I know this thread is kind of old so I may not get a reply but here goes anyway:

I got the job at next, had my phone interview and then my in-store assessment and they offered me the job and said that they would call me to arrange my induction. This was on Monday and I haven't had my call yet. I've called and they said the woman gets back from holiday on Friday and Friday has passed but I still haven't heard anything. My friend said that you are induced with a group of other people and that they have other people to interview. I'm worried that they have forgotten. Should I give them a call again?
Hi all! Anyone know what a coordinator gets paid per hour?
Original post by lawlieto

Bit late I know, but when I worked there as temp, it seemed like they offered the role to staff to ask if they know anyone who wants it.
Original post by keeleyvic
Bit late I know, but when I worked there as temp, it seemed like they offered the role to staff to ask if they know anyone who wants it.

that was kind of what i suspected.. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest