The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

does anybody when the "next" payday is? i worked as a summer temp and i dont know when im due to get paid :frown:
Reply 121
Original post by kellybraisby
does anybody when the "next" payday is? i worked as a summer temp and i dont know when im due to get paid :frown:

My contract says the 26th of each month, and if this is a weekend then you'll get paid on the closest working day beforehand. Of course, this may be different for temporary staff.
Original post by Groat
My contract says the 26th of each month, and if this is a weekend then you'll get paid on the closest working day beforehand. Of course, this may be different for temporary staff.

Oh okay thankyou (:
Reply 123
Original post by adh5643
do you work in the stockroom?

No, I'm a sales assistant
Edit: I've just found out why I had only £56 for my uniform. It was because I was hired later in the season. Now I have £75. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by kellybraisby

I believe its Fridays for temps. Not too sure about how payslips are received though, hopefully it's posted
hi every1 in the room,i applied for the role of a stockroom assistant with next 9 days ago,i received an automated email confirming that my application has been received.the following day after submission I got this email:
Dear Sunday

Vacancy N0014908 - Stockroom Assistant - London The Strand

Thank you for completing our online application form. Your application will now be reviewed by our recruitment team.

The team will aim to contact you with a decision as soon as possible. However, in busy recruitment periods this can often be 2 weeks after the vacancy closing date.

If you are successful, you will be contacted by phone and not by email.

Should you be invited to an interview you will be required to provide the following information:

Two forms of identification (click here FAQ Section on the Next Careers website for more information)
Contact details of two professional or academic referees
Details of any holidays you may have booked in the next 12 months (not applicable for short term temporary positions)

If you need to update your contact details at any point, this can be done by logging in and clicking 'Manage My Profile' which can be found in the top left of the screen.

If you are unsuccessful you will receive an email. However it is not unusual for emails to be sent to your junk email folder or in extreme cases they can be blocked by your mailbox provider. If you do not hear from us within the time specified above, then please assume that your application was unsuccessful.

Thank you for your interest in Next.

Kind regards

The Next Recruitment Team

my question is this: since the day that i received this email,i have been expecting a call from next which i am yet to receive up till today,does this mean that i am not successful or will i still be contacted by next later?.i am confused.please help me to shed more light on this issue.10x
Reply 126
Original post by moresomers
hi every1 in the room,i applied for the role of a stockroom assistant with next 9 days ago,i received an automated email confirming that my application has been received.the following day after submission I got this email:
Dear Sunday

Vacancy N0014908 - Stockroom Assistant - London The Strand

Thank you for completing our online application form. Your application will now be reviewed by our recruitment team.

The team will aim to contact you with a decision as soon as possible. However, in busy recruitment periods this can often be 2 weeks after the vacancy closing date.

If you are successful, you will be contacted by phone and not by email.

Should you be invited to an interview you will be required to provide the following information:

Two forms of identification (click here FAQ Section on the Next Careers website for more information)
Contact details of two professional or academic referees
Details of any holidays you may have booked in the next 12 months (not applicable for short term temporary positions)

If you need to update your contact details at any point, this can be done by logging in and clicking 'Manage My Profile' which can be found in the top left of the screen.

If you are unsuccessful you will receive an email. However it is not unusual for emails to be sent to your junk email folder or in extreme cases they can be blocked by your mailbox provider. If you do not hear from us within the time specified above, then please assume that your application was unsuccessful.

Thank you for your interest in Next.

Kind regards

The Next Recruitment Team

my question is this: since the day that i received this email,i have been expecting a call from next which i am yet to receive up till today,does this mean that i am not successful or will i still be contacted by next later?.i am confused.please help me to shed more light on this issue.10x

They could still contact you so stay hopefully, however keep an eye on your emails to find out if your unsuccessful. :smile:
Reply 127
Original post by Pride
Most shoplifters want an easy steal, staff at the door would put many of them off stealing actually. Besides, I googled that particular question and that was the answer that came up, so I clicked it.

When I'm on front cover (door greeter etc) I've been told to never attempt to apprehend / confront shoplifters.
True it is a deterrent as you kind of 'rumble' potential shoplifters just by acklowledging them at the door, but really it's a customer service role. It's all about an approachable face at the door you can come up to with any queries on opening times / returns, also I've had a few customers who've come with heavier items from the home department to return and I'll help them up the stairs with that. You also tidy the front of the store when you get the chance.

Was talking to another member of staff and he agreed a £30 top can be replaced, it really isn't worth being potentially wounded over (Heard about a security guard who confronted a shoplifter and had a stanley knife slashed across his face)
Reply 128
Original post by Shuvel
When I'm on front cover (door greeter etc) I've been told to never attempt to apprehend / confront shoplifters.
True it is a deterrent as you kind of 'rumble' potential shoplifters just by acklowledging them at the door, but really it's a customer service role. It's all about an approachable face at the door you can come up to with any queries on opening times / returns, also I've had a few customers who've come with heavier items from the home department to return and I'll help them up the stairs with that. You also tidy the front of the store when you get the chance.

Was talking to another member of staff and he agreed a £30 top can be replaced, it really isn't worth being potentially wounded over (Heard about a security guard who confronted a shoplifter and had a stanley knife slashed across his face)

yeah you're probably right. I googled that question, but that sounds more feasible anyway
I applied for several jobs at Next via their website almost a month ago, I was unsuccessful at getting the Stockroom Assistant job but then a week after I received a phone call saying if I could come in for a training session that Friday and to bring with me my passport, bank details and NI number. So from there on I guess I knew I had been employed.

So I worked 16 hours a week for the fortnight they needed me. My last day was yesterday and just this afternoon I received a phone call from the manager asking me if I would be interested in working for them on a temporary contract up until the end of August. To start with I will only be working 4 hours a week with the potential of working upto 16 hours and they said there is a possibility of extending/renewing my contract after the end of August if they like me....

So far, my experience with Next has been very positive! :smile: Although all I did during the sale period was recovery and stock replenishment. I would now like to learn how to use the tills haha :tongue:
@ chocochick,did you receive the unsuccessful email after receiving the mail that i posted up there.please check my previous posting.thanks
Original post by ChocoChick
I applied for several jobs at Next via their website almost a month ago, I was unsuccessful at getting the Stockroom Assistant job but then a week after I received a phone call saying if I could come in for a training session that Friday and to bring with me my passport, bank details and NI number. So from there on I guess I knew I had been employed.

So I worked 16 hours a week for the fortnight they needed me. My last day was yesterday and just this afternoon I received a phone call from the manager asking me if I would be interested in working for them on a temporary contract up until the end of August. To start with I will only be working 4 hours a week with the potential of working upto 16 hours and they said there is a possibility of extending/renewing my contract after the end of August if they like me....

So far, my experience with Next has been very positive! :smile: Although all I did during the sale period was recovery and stock replenishment. I would now like to learn how to use the tills haha :tongue:

This sounds great!! Congratulations!! :biggrin:
I got to the interview stage but was unsuccessful i think....
Reply 132
My Next is rubbish with extra hours :frown: its resorted to me looking for a second job -_-
Reply 133
dont rely on next for continual employment. My next gave me a temp job during sale period. As usual promised me more hours and that THEY WILL CALL ME FOR HOURS. But of course never did. And when I called back, same old we have no hourssss.

"but hold up I was told that I was going to be given.."
"NOPE Sorry"

i too had to get a 2nd job. be aware
Reply 134
Original post by landan
dont rely on next for continual employment. My next gave me a temp job during sale period. As usual promised me more hours and that THEY WILL CALL ME FOR HOURS. But of course never did. And when I called back, same old we have no hourssss.

"but hold up I was told that I was going to be given.."
"NOPE Sorry"

i too had to get a 2nd job. be aware

Yeah I've been looking around for a second job. 20 quid a week may seem a lot but its not enough for me to live on :frown:
I have a 4 hour permanent contract for Sundays, but work from 1 to 6 and sometimes 6:15. Noticed that some staff members on various threads about Next say they don't get paid for staying behind extra 15 minutes but I get paid, maybe permanent full time staff don't get paid for the extra time tidying. I get my 25% staff discount for myself and immediate family, which in my case is my mum, dad and grandmothers though I have to be with them when making their purchases but at least I don't have to buy the items and pretend they're for me which I had to in Debenhams. Pay is £5.80 p.hr as I'm over 18, not sure if it rises when I'm older. Looking at other comments I think my store which is N.Ireland must be very laid back compared to other stores in mainland UK, maybe it's just how we are here. No pressure to make sales which is something I hated about my previous job in cosmetics at Debenhams.

I was disappointed to just get a 4 hour contract as I would have liked at least 8 hours but that's how they work, here in N.Ireland anyway. Store managers seem to prefer to employ more people on less hours - not sure if it's company policy or just our store. Usually get 8-16 hours a week but of course I can't depend on it and now post sales I've only 4 hours for the next 4 weeks but hopefully they'll phone me in for extra hours as I indicated flexibility when I applied. Only disappointment if you're applying is the promised 75% uniform discount which is pro-rata to contracted hours so even though I work more than my contract states, I only get £150 a year which is divided into 2 allowances of £75 each time and this is based on the full retail price of garments so for £37.50 (I pay 25% of this) can only get for example a nice top and maybe a tee shirt which isn't much as I like to look smart so have to either buy my own trousers, jeans or skirts at 25% discount or just wear something that can't be identified as coming from another store. Also get discount for the on site store cafe and a staff special menu which is good value. Someone had also asked about buying in the Next sale. You only get your discount if the price you would be paying with your discount wouldn't be less than the sale price so actually the answer is really that you pay the same price as any other shopper in the Next sale.

That's about it except to say your experience really depends on your manager. Mine aren't too bad so I don't mind too much and we do get moved around in our shift from front door, tills, tidying and changing rooms.

:colondollar:
Original post by linzipinzi
I have a 4 hour permanent contract for Sundays, but work from 1 to 6 and sometimes 6:15. Noticed that some staff members on various threads about Next say they don't get paid for staying behind extra 15 minutes but I get paid, maybe permanent full time staff don't get paid for the extra time tidying. I get my 25% staff discount for myself and immediate family, which in my case is my mum, dad and grandmothers though I have to be with them when making their purchases but at least I don't have to buy the items and pretend they're for me which I had to in Debenhams. Pay is £5.80 p.hr as I'm over 18, not sure if it rises when I'm older. Looking at other comments I think my store which is N.Ireland must be very laid back compared to other stores in mainland UK, maybe it's just how we are here. No pressure to make sales which is something I hated about my previous job in cosmetics at Debenhams.

I was disappointed to just get a 4 hour contract as I would have liked at least 8 hours but that's how they work, here in N.Ireland anyway. Store managers seem to prefer to employ more people on less hours - not sure if it's company policy or just our store. Usually get 8-16 hours a week but of course I can't depend on it and now post sales I've only 4 hours for the next 4 weeks but hopefully they'll phone me in for extra hours as I indicated flexibility when I applied. Only disappointment if you're applying is the promised 75% uniform discount which is pro-rata to contracted hours so even though I work more than my contract states, I only get £150 a year which is divided into 2 allowances of £75 each time and this is based on the full retail price of garments so for £37.50 (I pay 25% of this) can only get for example a nice top and maybe a tee shirt which isn't much as I like to look smart so have to either buy my own trousers, jeans or skirts at 25% discount or just wear something that can't be identified as coming from another store. Also get discount for the on site store cafe and a staff special menu which is good value. Someone had also asked about buying in the Next sale. You only get your discount if the price you would be paying with your discount wouldn't be less than the sale price so actually the answer is really that you pay the same price as any other shopper in the Next sale.

That's about it except to say your experience really depends on your manager. Mine aren't too bad so I don't mind too much and we do get moved around in our shift from front door, tills, tidying and changing rooms.

:colondollar:

Next has a shiny new policy of not giving people over 16 hours a week if they can avoid it because that way they don't have to pay national insurance contributions for them.
Original post by moresomers
@ chocochick,did you receive the unsuccessful email after receiving the mail that i posted up there.please check my previous posting.thanks

For the Stockroom Assistant vacancy I did receive an email stating that I had been unsuccessful. But for the Sales Consultant vacancy I received the automated email from Next but then received a phone call from them stating that I had to attend a training day. It was from there on I assumed I had been successful.
Original post by ChocoChick
For the Stockroom Assistant vacancy I did receive an email stating that I had been unsuccessful. But for the Sales Consultant vacancy I received the automated email from Next but then received a phone call from them stating that I had to attend a training day. It was from there on I assumed I had been successful.

Which store was it for? :smile:
I applied to Debenhams at the weekend for a 4,8,12 hr shift...worth a look maybe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending