The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

It is in the shopping centre Merry Hill in Brierley Hill.
Reply 141
Original post by BeccaCath94
I applied to Debenhams at the weekend for a 4,8,12 hr shift...worth a look maybe :smile:

You seemed to be clued up about this retail employment stuff. Am I applying to next at the moment and they are asking for recent employers which I do not have so do I just leave it blank.
Original post by Besakt
You seemed to be clued up about this retail employment stuff. Am I applying to next at the moment and they are asking for recent employers which I do not have so do I just leave it blank.

Haha i may be clued up but so far i have not been successful... :/
Yeah i think so, i dont have any either except a 2 week work experience in a nursery so i usually include that! haha
Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 143
I'm literally *****ing myself right now. Had a phone call and I now have a interview for Sales Consultant role tomorrow. This is my first interview and I'm looking for some tips about what they might ask me and what I should wear? It's strange because I got rejection e-mails from my applications :lol:
Original post by _jake_
I'm literally *****ing myself right now. Had a phone call and I now have a interview for Sales Consultant role tomorrow. This is my first interview and I'm looking for some tips about what they might ask me and what I should wear? It's strange because I got rejection e-mails from my applications :lol:

in my interview for next it was a group interview, not what i was expecting at all!
all we had to do was find an outfit for a scenario that was given to us by the interviewer and then say why the outfit we chose was suitable for it. and thats literally all i had to do haha :colondollar:
Reply 145
Original post by _jake_

What time was your phone call was it on private number?
Reply 146
Original post by amiejade-x
in my interview for next it was a group interview, not what i was expecting at all!
all we had to do was find an outfit for a scenario that was given to us by the interviewer and then say why the outfit we chose was suitable for it. and thats literally all i had to do haha :colondollar:

Ah pretty simple then. Is this regarding your gender? I would be awful at picking fashion for women:eek:

Original post by Besakt
What time was your phone call was it on private number?

Nope. It was the normal local calling code.
Reply 147
Original post by _jake_

Ok Thanks. Hopefully I get a phone call and not an email, email means rejection. Did you have any prior work experience when applying to next?
Original post by _jake_

Ooh well done!! :biggrin: At the beginning of june I had my first ever interview for a job at next but it wasnt successful :frown: Just wear smart casual and be as confident as possible!!! I was very nervous...probably why I got rejected!! :frown:
Do a bit of extra research into the company as they'll ask a background info question; but also what makes a good sales assisstant at next and what you will be required to do etc.
Good luck!!! :smile:

Original post by amiejade-x

Mine was a group interview as well but different....yours sounds much easier!!!!! :/ I would've been better at that than what I had to do!!!! :frown:
There was 3 of us and we all had an individual interview with the boss, then had to go onto the shopfloor to assist customers and ask if they were ok, but that was very awkward, no one wanted help, and im very shy!! :frown:
Reply 149
Original post by BeccaCath94
Ooh well done!! :biggrin: At the beginning of june I had my first ever interview for a job at next but it wasnt successful :frown: Just wear smart casual and be as confident as possible!!! I was very nervous...probably why I got rejected!! :frown:
Do a bit of extra research into the company as they'll ask a background info question; but also what makes a good sales assisstant at next and what you will be required to do etc.
Good luck!!! :smile:

Mine was a group interview as well but different....yours sounds much easier!!!!! :/ I would've been better at that than what I had to do!!!! :frown:
There was 3 of us and we all had an individual interview with the boss, then had to go onto the shopfloor to assist customers and ask if they were ok, but that was very awkward, no one wanted help, and im very shy!! :frown:

Thanks for the advice! I'm really excited as well as nervous.

Today I went out to get some smart clothes (I'm a scruffy bugger) but at short notice was unable to get a formal shirt. Instead I bought a full sleeve white T-shirt, black trousers and shoes, do you think that's 'smart casual'? The only shirts I have are chequered :colondollar:
Original post by stephiejayne
The tees aren't the best, I had a disgusting green one in the sale when I worked last :frown:

Before I finished people had to wear horrid pink or green sale tops... i kept my black one :wink:
Original post by _jake_
Ah pretty simple then. Is this regarding your gender? I would be awful at picking fashion for women:eek:

hmmm i couldn't tell you, there were no guys at my interview :hmmmm2: but i would have thought so, i would have sucked at picking mens clothes.
anyone who has had and interview

what should i wear ?

should i wear a suit ?
Reply 153
hi,
has anyone had an interview for a sales assistant in the children's department? Just wondering what I can expect, have read about the interviews where you have to pick out outfits but just wondered if it might be different in childrenswear?
thanks
Original post by amy12345
hi,
has anyone had an interview for a sales assistant in the children's department? Just wondering what I can expect, have read about the interviews where you have to pick out outfits but just wondered if it might be different in childrenswear?
thanks

I was in Womens+Children, it may or may not be the same for you, but in my interview I didn't have to pick out an outfit. They'll ask you the questions that they'd ask for any part of the store, with mine it was 1-2-1 but I think sometimes it's group seshs, if it's the latter make sure to speak up loads :smile:

Original post by Aaron Hill
anyone who has had and interview

what should i wear ?

should i wear a suit ?

Nono not a suit, smart-casual, something 'trendy'. Look on the Next menswear website page and see what the feature guys are wearing, dress similar to that
Reply 155
Original post by Skip_Snip
I was in Womens+Children, it may or may not be the same for you, but in my interview I didn't have to pick out an outfit. They'll ask you the questions that they'd ask for any part of the store, with mine it was 1-2-1 but I think sometimes it's group seshs, if it's the latter make sure to speak up loads :smile:

Nono not a suit, smart-casual, something 'trendy'. Look on the Next menswear website page and see what the feature guys are wearing, dress similar to that

Thank you for your reply :smile:
My interview is for children's wear and is a 1 to 1 interview too.
What sort of questions did they ask you? Have not had an interview for a shop like this before so a bit nervous.
Reply 156
Just had my interview. It was pretty much straight forward. There was about seven other people (mix sexes) and we had a group interview taking it in turns to answer. Make sure you have something different to answer to stand out from the rest and dress smartly. Speak loud and try to be smiley and make yourself seem like a friendly person!
Reply 157
Original post by _jake_
Just had my interview. It was pretty much straight forward. There was about seven other people (mix sexes) and we had a group interview taking it in turns to answer. Make sure you have something different to answer to stand out from the rest and dress smartly. Speak loud and try to be smiley and make yourself seem like a friendly person!

What were the questions?
Original post by amy12345
Thank you for your reply :smile:
My interview is for children's wear and is a 1 to 1 interview too.
What sort of questions did they ask you? Have not had an interview for a shop like this before so a bit nervous.

Oh cool :smile: My interview was about two years ago, so forgive me if it's sketchy :wink:

But she asked me what I knew about fashion and current trends (a quick Google overview would do, doesn't have to be too indepth), why you want that job, how you do in team work, and a bit about yourself. Make sure to appear bubbly and friendly :smile:
did all the people who had interviews get called about it and was it b4 or after the closing date of the vacancy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending