The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Hi,

Just wondering does any work at next? If so, how much do you get paid?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i don't work in next but i've been there does that count for something?
but yes u nxt people how do you get paid?
:tee: :aetsch: :bang: :cheers: :reddy: :bike:
Reply 2
only if next time you're in there u ask one how much they're getting paid :p: he he
Well Iv been temping for Next over their sale period, but I think the wage is the same for the perm. staff. It depends on age, if ur over 18, it's 5.25, 17 i think it's 4.65, and probs 4.25 if ur 16. Wages may vary depending on location, e.g London.
thats lower then expected, whata rea do you work in
Currently working in the Bradford area, and grr they've taxed me =/
Reply 6
how much do you get an hour, and what is the discount like, ive always noticed people working in next and really well dressed so the discount must be pritty good!
Reply 7
In the Pay Thread someone said they 5.13 and hour, 4.53 before they were 18. So I imagine the max you would get would be £5.50 an hour, which is about the average for higher quality fashion retailers. I imagine they probably get a very high discount on 3-4 items of clothing for their uniform, but that'll be it. After that I imagine it's no more than 25% discount if that (based on experience in similar shops).
Reply 8
The discount is 25% and the pay is £5.13 an hour for over 18s, £4.53 for under 18s. You get 75% off uniform and the amount you can buy at that discount depends on how many hours you work. I worked 4 hours a week and got £75 at the 75% discount per season.
Reply 9
Does anyone do this? What does it involve? :P
I'm looking for a job and the Next in my town has 2 vacancies (Office Assistant and Sales Consultant). I've already applied for the sales consultant vacancy but it's unlikely I'll get it as I guessed most of the fashion-related questions :P
I think the office assistant job would be alright, but I'm 16 and I've only done one week of work experience in an office in year 10.

So...uhh...does anyone know what this job's like?
Reply 10
Hi there,
I have recently been offered a part-time role as a sales consultant at Next (for the Womenswear department), I went for my induction on Thursday and have my first shift on Wednesday I'm nervous and excited! This will be my second job, after a two and a half year stint at McDonalds. I'm expecting Next to be a completely different working environment to McDonalds and I'm not exactly sure what to expect, can anyone give me any tips or advice? For my first day I'm going to wear pin strip pants, shiny leather boots (wore both of these for my interview) and a black shirt with a leather belt. Do they start you off easy and gradually get you to do more challenging processes? Also any idea how I find the Next Employee Handbook online? The manager gave use the web address for it with a universal username and password but it won't let me access it and I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to have started reading it prior to my first shift! Thank you!! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Hiya. Where have you got your job? I had an interview at Next in Guildford 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. Thought I nailed the interview but beginning to doubt myself now. I rang the manager on Tuesday and she asked me to give her a couple of days to sort it out but still hasn't got back. Really frustrating. Thanks! :smile: x
I have an interview for Next this week, what did you wear, can't decide whether to go for black skirt, white shirt and coloured cardi, or jeans, white shirt and coloured cardi. I don't want to go too formal/informal :s-smilie:

What was the interview like?

Thanks for any tips :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by alliekat
Hiya. Where have you got your job? I had an interview at Next in Guildford 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. Thought I nailed the interview but beginning to doubt myself now. I rang the manager on Tuesday and she asked me to give her a couple of days to sort it out but still hasn't got back. Really frustrating. Thanks! :smile: x

Mines at Silverlink Retail Park, I had an interview a week ago last Thursday. The manager that interview me said he was meeting with the other manager that had been interviewing people on the Friday so if I was succesful I would probably hear back by then. Friday came and went without me hearing anything then by the Monday I assumed I didn't get the job. Then on Tuesday when I get home they had apparently been trying to contact me, I rang them Wednesday morning and they told me I had been sucessful and would I be able to come in for an induction on the Thursday.
Reply 14
Argh did you apply online or handed your CV directly to the shop?
Original post by zezima
Argh did you apply online or handed your CV directly to the shop?

I applied online on thursday, and it said the closing date was the friday, and I got a call yesterday asking to come in :smile: It will depend if there's vacancies near you really.
Reply 16
Ahh lucky you! I'm going to ring again tomorrow because if I didn't get the job i'd like to know where my shortfalls were. Not fair telling the successful people but not the 'unsuccessfuls'. Unless she hasn't actually chosen anyone yet. It's wishful thinking but who knows!
Original post by mikl_c
Mines at Silverlink Retail Park,

I live near here, is it not a bit of a nightmare to get to?
Reply 18
Currently work there at the moment, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

You should be able to get on to the employee portal thing, just enter your payroll number as the username and the password given to you to register.
Reply 19
Original post by Rian1988
Currently work there at the moment, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

You should be able to get on to the employee portal thing, just enter your payroll number as the username and the password given to you to register.

Thanks! So I assume that I will be given these on my first shift? I wasn't told my payroll number or anything like that at my induction, was getting worried when I couldn't log into the Employee Portal incase I was meant to start reading the handbook before my shift. Also what sort of things do Sales Consultants start off doing on their first few shifts?

Quick Reply

Latest