The Student Room Group

What can I do from here?

Basically, I got rejected from Queens Belfast for Ancient History last year, and went on a gap year. I applied for and accepted my offer for History at another uni starting in September. But I'm having second thoughts, is there anyway I could maybe try and get into Queens? I checked on ucas extra and there are vacancies on the course. Or would it be too risky considering they have rejected me before?

Or is it too late now I've accepted my offer?

Update:

Just decided to update for anyone in a similar position. I rang up ucas, who told me that I can't go through extra to get another course. I would need to be released into clearing which opens July 7th and apply to Queens that way. So I'll have to check with Queens before withdrawing because I'll not be risking ending up with nothing in September...again
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Call queens to ask if they will accept you before you withdraw your current offer, so you can cancel and apply on extra/clearing without risk.

This a perfectly normal sane thing to do. Queens won't think you're greedy by trying to keep a backup and universities have people cancelling offers all the way up to September. Just ring up and tell them your qualifications, they might ask for you to send in a personal statement (I doubt it though, it's in clearing) and some time for a decision. If they say they will accept you, it's a risk free acceptance, if not you can go to Dundee.

I think (Research this yourself before taking my word) the University itself has to cancel your offer from their end for you to be put into clearing/extra, so don't do it from your end. There's a very slim chance they'd refuse to release you, this because you'd be much more likely to drop out and mess up their ratings if you were forced to go there and universities are generally quite nice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by alwaysme
Call queens to ask if they will accept you before you withdraw your current offer, so you can cancel and apply on extra/clearing without risk.

This a perfectly normal sane thing to do. Queens won't think you're greedy by trying to keep a backup and universities have people cancelling offers all the way up to September. Just ring up and tell them your qualifications, they might ask for you to send in a personal statement (I doubt it though, it's in clearing) and some time for a decision. If they say they will accept you, it's a risk free acceptance, if not you can go to Dundee.

I think (Research this yourself before taking my word) the University itself has to cancel your offer from their end for you to be put into clearing/extra, so don't do it from your end. There's a very slim chance they'd refuse to release you, this because you'd be much more likely to drop out and mess up their ratings if you were forced to go there.

Thanks, helped out a lot, I'll give them a call today. Yeah, I think your right about the university releasing me, I had to get released from my insurance last year when I didn't get into my firm.
Reply 3
Original post by bestofyou
Basically, I got rejected from Queens Belfast for Ancient History last year, and went on a gap year. I applied for and accepted my offer for History at another uni starting in September. But I'm having second thoughts, is there anyway I could maybe try and get into Queens? I checked on ucas extra and there are vacancies on the course. Or would it be too risky considering they have rejected me before?

Or is it too late now I've accepted my offer?

Update:

Just decided to update for anyone in a similar position. I rang up ucas, who told me that I can't go through extra to get another course. I would need to be released into clearing which opens July 7th and apply to Queens that way. So I'll have to check with Queens before withdrawing because I'll not be risking ending up with nothing in September...again

Hmm seems to depend on who you talk to at UCAS, cos I phoned on Friday with the same scenario (though in my case I wanted to decline my firm and insurance and apply for a uni closer to home) and the lady I spoke to said that if I could get my unis to release me then I'd be eligible for extra. It's kinda bad that there doesn't seem to be consistency.
Original post by vvanouska
Hmm seems to depend on who you talk to at UCAS, cos I phoned on Friday with the same scenario (though in my case I wanted to decline my firm and insurance and apply for a uni closer to home) and the lady I spoke to said that if I could get my unis to release me then I'd be eligible for extra. It's kinda bad that there doesn't seem to be consistency.

You're more unusual, most people get told they can't with only a handful being told they can ... which is why we generally give the advice to assume you can't.

How's it worked for you, by the way? Have UCAS actually let you in Extra?
Reply 5
Original post by TheSownRose
You're more unusual, most people get told they can't with only a handful being told they can ... which is why we generally give the advice to assume you can't.

How's it worked for you, by the way? Have UCAS actually let you in Extra?

Yeah they did! I was quite surprised too because I didn't even mention extra. I just explained the situation and asked what my options were and was told that if both my universities agreed to release me I'd go straight into extra.

I rang up both unis there and then and a couple of hours later my track updated and I applied! And now the nervous waiting begins again haha

Quick Reply