The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Statistics 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by megank
Well, what i thought was plot the moving averages on the graph and then draw a line of best fit... its the same answer :smile: goodgood :biggrin:

It's only the same answer because I checked the mark scheme then attempted it based on what was written there, so I may be wrong
But you can't draw a line of best fit, otherwise they would have mentioned that in the mark scheme, oh well, just hope for the best
Reply 61
Original post by Empty Child
It's only the same answer because I checked the mark scheme then attempted it based on what was written there, so I may be wrong
But you can't draw a line of best fit, otherwise they would have mentioned that in the mark scheme, oh well, just hope for the best

It wouldn't matter because the line of best fit is helping me to get the answer :biggrin:
Reply 62
anyone help me with another question pleaseee?! the specimen paper question 1(d)(i)
thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 63
Original post by megank
It wouldn't matter because the line of best fit is helping me to get the answer :biggrin:

Are you ready for the exam?
Because I'm just crapping it, I've no idea how to do half the syllabus, and I can't figure out where to learn the stuff I don't know because they're all revision stuff which count on you already knowing how to do it and just recapping them

Anyways, best of luck, I'm sure the exam will go smoothly, after all, the grade boundaries are quite low
Reply 64
Are you ready for the exam?
Because I'm just crapping it, I've no idea how to do half the syllabus, and I can't figure out where to learn the stuff I don't know because they're all revision stuff which count on you already knowing how to do it and just recapping them

Anyways, best of luck, I'm sure the exam will go smoothly, after all, the grade boundaries are quite low

Not really :/ i had at least 10 days to revise this exam but i've been so lazy lol I know how to do standard deviation and spearsmens rank things... and all the basic things but i hate the explaining questions - asking like how so and so could do a sample :/

I am sure it will go well for you too - you seem to know everything :smile: Good Luck!
Btw, do you know if the crude rates things are still in this specification ??
Reply 65
Original post by megank
anyone help me with another question pleaseee?! the specimen paper question 1(d)(i)
thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A clear, concise and comprehensive answer that addresses all the major issues
(listing and numbering the 5 wards, using random numbers, repeat method).
The answer should be fully coherent and contain statistical terminology.

That's what the mark scheme says....
The important bit is the bit in brackets I guess
Your answer should be something like:
Number the wards 1-5
Using a random number table or the RAN# button on his calculator, select a number from 1-5 to choose a ward.
Then list all the voters in that ward, again using the random number table or his calculator, select a random sample of voters to use

Then make sure you have fancy words in there, like equal chance, unbiased, random sampling etc.

Please dont let something silly like this come up in the exam
Reply 66
Original post by megank
Not really :/ i had at least 10 days to revise this exam but i've been so lazy lol I know how to do standard deviation and spearsmens rank things... and all the basic things but i hate the explaining questions - asking like how so and so could do a sample :/

I am sure it will go well for you too - you seem to know everything :smile: Good Luck!
Btw, do you know if the crude rates things are still in this specification ??

I'm on work experience and come home at half five, so I haven't really had much time to revise, annoying isn't it?

I always seem to know everything, that's why everyone thinks I'm so clever, but I just guess at half of the stuff. It works though!

You cannot afford not to learn crude rates. Last year, most people forgot the formula for crude rates and started pissing themselves after the exam, learn it, it will help.
Reply 67
A clear, concise and comprehensive answer that addresses all the major issues
(listing and numbering the 5 wards, using random numbers, repeat method).
The answer should be fully coherent and contain statistical terminology.

That's what the mark scheme says....
The important bit is the bit in brackets I guess
Your answer should be something like:
Number the wards 1-5
Using a random number table or the RAN# button on his calculator, select a number from 1-5 to choose a ward.
Then list all the voters in that ward, again using the random number table or his calculator, select a random sample of voters to use

Then make sure you have fancy words in there, like equal chance, unbiased, random sampling etc.

Please dont let something silly like this come up in the exam

Because it doesnt say how many samples he want - we don't have to say whether its systematic and all that jazz? Okay i think i get it now..! THANKSSSS :smile:
Reply 68
I'm on work experience and come home at half five, so I haven't really had much time to revise, annoying isn't it?

I always seem to know everything, that's why everyone thinks I'm so clever, but I just guess at half of the stuff. It works though!

You cannot afford not to learn crude rates. Last year, most people forgot the formula for crude rates and started pissing themselves after the exam, learn it, it will help.

Ohh right... mine starts during the summer holidays :/

Wait, there is a formula for it??? i never knew that?! Can you please show me it on here?? THANKS AGAIN YOU LIFE SAVER :smile:
Reply 69

genius! mind helping me with another question pleaseee? :P

Question 8 d on the specimen paper - the answers are continuous linear scale and discrete scale (boxes) labels... i dont understand this answer?! help me pleaseee! THANKS AGAIN :biggrin:
Reply 70
Does anyone know if comparitive pie charts will come up in Statistics?
I really hope it doesn't, I don't have a protractor :tongue:
But then again, I don't have a ruler either, double :tongue:
I'll have to steal one off the school :cool:
Reply 71
Does anyone know if comparitive pie charts will come up in Statistics?
I really hope it doesn't, I don't have a protractor :tongue:
But then again, I don't have a ruler either, double :tongue:
I'll have to steal one off the school :cool:

comparitive pie charts? you only need a calculator for this type of questions!
Reply 72
Original post by megank
genius! mind helping me with another question pleaseee? :P

Question 8 d on the specimen paper - the answers are continuous linear scale and discrete scale (boxes) labels... i dont understand this answer?! help me pleaseee! THANKS AGAIN :biggrin:

Yeah, that is the question which encouraged me to start this thread, I searched everywhere for an explanation, but in the end, I just settled for 'AQA is stupid'.

I suppose Continuous Linear Scale means something like 'what is your opinion on.... from 1-10 One being Strongly agree, 10 being strongly disagree'

Discrete scale is box for agree, box for disagree and box for don't know etc

You're probably going to call me a genius again because of this, but it is still guesswork
Reply 73
Original post by megank
Ohh right... mine starts during the summer holidays :/

Wait, there is a formula for it??? i never knew that?! Can you please show me it on here?? THANKS AGAIN YOU LIFE SAVER :smile:

Crude rate:
(Number of stuff divided by total population) x 1000

Standardised rate:
((Number of stuff divided by total population) x 1000) x percentage of population

or something like that, look at June 2006 Question 7 for example
Reply 74
Original post by megank
comparitive pie charts? you only need a calculator for this type of questions!

Unless they ask you to draw it...
Reply 75
Unless they ask you to draw it...

I doubt it... But then everything is possible! They should only be asking us about the radius of the circle :/
Reply 76
Crude rate:
(Number of stuff divided by total population) x 1000

Standardised rate:
((Number of stuff divided by total population) x 1000) x percentage of population

or something like that, look at June 2006 Question 7 for example

Oh okay :smile: thanks, this kinda question requires alot of workings :/
Reply 77
This tells you what has been taken off/added onto the specification.

No more Standardized rates! :party:
Reply 78
My Maths teacher contacted AQA - apparently not including the formula sheet in the spec paper was their mistake and there will most definitely be a formula sheet in the actual exam.

I'm really struggling revising for Stats, I can do the maths but I do not have a clue what any of the data means, and this is where I am dropping all my marks. :/
Reply 79
Original post by Benmaster
This tells you what has been taken off/added onto the specification.

No more Standardized rates! :party:

what is multi stage sampling :O????
and also z charts?? i dont understand what we can tell from it ;/ help me pleaseee! Thankyouuuuu
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending