The Student Room Group

How do uni transfers work? Any success stories too?

For example if your at uni X and you want to go to uni Y sto study the same subject you were studying at uni X, how does it work?

Lets take Brunel and Sheffield for example...

Say you email them and they give you the go ahead to apply, do you have to apply via UCAS again?

Would it be for first year again or second year considering content may vary?

Also whats the likeliness of it happening/success rate?

Is it a straight forward process?

Who has to be involved?

I have a friend who was studying pharmacy I think at Kingston and he got a transfer to the uni of Liverpool which is a big step up in my eyes.

Thanks
I'm not too sure about the specifics, but I do know that if the course content differs, you'll probably have to redo the year.

The jump from Brunel to Sheffield is quite smaller than the jump from Kingston to Liverpool, though! So have hope. :tongue:
Original post by I<3Vans
For example if your at uni X and you want to go to uni Y sto study the same subject you were studying at uni X, how does it work?

Lets take Brunel and Sheffield for example...

Say you email them and they give you the go ahead to apply, do you have to apply via UCAS again?

Depends on the university - some will insist on UCAS (as they should according o their contract with UCAS), but some will allow direct applications.

Original post by I<3Vans

Depends on how similar the first year you've done is to the first year you would be skipping, and obviously depend on whether or not you passed all your first year modules. They may allow you into the second year but taking a year one module to catch up.

Original post by I<3Vans

Varies depending on your personal circumstances, if the second uni has spaces, or if they rejected you last year for example if you applied for year one entry originally. Certainly very possible however - a lot of people transfer every year.

Original post by I<3Vans

Who has to be involved?

Depends on the Uni again. Some may want a reference from your first uni to confirm that you're managing etc, and the decision to switch is for personal reasons rather than academic problems.
Reply 3
Transferring Unis is quite rare so it's a different case for different unis and different courses.

I transferred from Bangor Uni to Essex Uni for 2nd year entry (also had an offer to transfer to Royal Holloway). The unis asked what modules I was taking at Bangor and the content I was covering in the core modules. So basically, they were looking at the similarities between the courses. They also looked at my A-levels to see if I have the required grades to be able to do the course.

Not all unis accept transfer students so you'd need to give the unis you're interested in a ring.

You would have to apply through UCAS again.
Reply 4
Original post by I<3Vans

Yes, you have to apply via UCAS. On UCAS you can select which year of entry you wish to apply for.

Original post by I<3Vans

It is possible to transfer directly into 2nd year if the uni likes you application and there is enough similarity between the courses and if they have spaces in 2nd year. If the courses are not similar enough, the uni may offer you 1st year entry instead. For a transfer unis usually like you to fulfill their A level (or equivalent) entry requirements.

Original post by I<3Vans

It really does depend. If there is enough similarity between the courses, there are spaces, you have been achieving the required results, you have good reasons for a transfer then it is quite possible. I don't know what the success rate is, but I have heard of many people successfully transferring.

Original post by I<3Vans

Depends. It's as complicated as another UCAS application, a new reference, coming up with good reasons for a transfer and contacting the uni beforehand about it. A lot of unis will not accept transfer students.

Original post by I<3Vans
Who has to be involved?

You, the admissions tutor from the other uni and someone to give you a reference (in many cases a referee from you current uni is preferred).

I went through the process myself of trying to get a transfer. I was previously studying geology at Keele university, but did not like the place and was not happy with the department for a variety of reasons. I emailed several universities about it and 2 of them were not sure but said they would look into it. Imperial College told me that the course at Keele would not be sufficient preparation for direct entry into their 2nd year. They felt that their course was far more demanding and quantitative and so I would not cope. However, they were very understanding about my reasons for wishing to transfer and after an interview offered me 1st year entry.
Reply 5
Hello

I would like you guys to be completely honest with me. Yesterday I received my A-levels and they were not great at all, I received 140 UCAS points from 2 a levels and 200 all the way through from 2 A levels. I have currently been accepted to the University of Bedfordshire through clearing, however I would like to transfer after the 1st year, im not going to be silly and apply to the Russell groups uni but at least try and aim for Essex University (along those lines of universities)....what do you guys think, is it impossible? x
Reply 6
Original post by Short10
Hello

I would like you guys to be completely honest with me. Yesterday I received my A-levels and they were not great at all, I received 140 UCAS points from 2 a levels and 200 all the way through from 2 A levels. I have currently been accepted to the University of Bedfordshire through clearing, however I would like to transfer after the 1st year, im not going to be silly and apply to the Russell groups uni but at least try and aim for Essex University (along those lines of universities)....what do you guys think, is it impossible? x

I know how you feel I am in the same boat.
I switched this year because someone found me on tsr. If you want to transferring to 2nd year new uni then you will need a good first uni grade or the course structure needs to be similar. On ucas you can choose whether to go to year 1,2 or 3.

Make a new ucas (I think you can use your old one. I. Made a new one but my referee used my old one so I used old ucas ID )

Pick 5 unis

Mentioned what you gained from 1st year at first uni in personal statement

Contact you're referee to give you reference and pay the £25 ucas fee

Put uni grade as pending along with your a level grades

Submit application and Wait

If you have got an offer and met them with your A levels grades/uni grade then you un enrol your old uni (this option will available late August from your old uni's site)

Enjoy

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by The_Blade
I switched this year because someone found me on tsr. If you want to transferring to 2nd year new uni then you will need a good first uni grade or the course structure needs to be similar. On ucas you can choose whether to go to year 1,2 or 3.

Make a new ucas (I think you can use your old one. I. Made a new one but my referee used my old one so I used old ucas ID )

Pick 5 unis

Mentioned what you gained from 1st year at first uni in personal statement

Contact you're referee to give you reference and pay the £25 ucas fee

Put uni grade as pending along with your a level grades

Submit application and Wait

If you have got an offer and met them with your A levels grades/uni grade then you un enrol your old uni (this option will available late August from your old uni's site)

Enjoy

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would happen if your alevels arent so good but your 1st year grade was good?
Original post by Zrrg
What would happen if your alevels arent so good but your 1st year grade was good?

if you first uni grade was bad you can get away with just mentioning your good a levels like my mate did but in your case id mention both. unis focus on your latest achievement and if you got a good grade at uni they'll thinck this person is more focused
Original post by Zrrg

Hello!
As far as I know, if you have a good enough 1st year grade, you can be accepted at the university of Essex, as far as you satisfy the entry requirements of the specific course. It is always helpful to get in contact with them or to talk with the department of your desired course :smile:

Hope that helps!

^Andriana

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending