The Student Room Group

Are black people in London aggressive?

Hello guys.
I am a white, young male and I start an internship in two weeks near London Bridge and I already found a nice and cheap ex-council flat in the Elephant and Castle area.
This is a predominantly black area and I don't want to sound racist or anything because I am not but I am genuinely scared about my well-being when living there.
Maybe my fear is fuelled by constant media coverage of stabbings, shootings and black gang operations in the east London maybe it is the fact I have never been an ethnic minority myself?

I am aware that this thread is about stereotypes and I apologise if I upset someone but I don't want to get beaten just because I am white.

So my question to you guys:
Is it safe being white in the black areas of London?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know, I live in Leeds.
Not really.
Elephant and Castle is a dangerous area, just down the road from Lambeth North, Camberwell and Peckham. I'd advise not going out at stupid hours and just being street wise.
The likelihood of crime increases throughout ANY urban area with high population densities regardless of ethnicity.

BUT it's not safe!
Reply 5
No, we'll stab you :rolleyes:
Reply 6
lmao!
and sorry i can't help you... whenever i pass thru elephant & castle i'm like damn.
shouldn't that shopping centre have been demolished by now? :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Good Intentions
Hello guys.
I am a white, young male and I start an internship in two weeks near London Bridge and I already found a nice and cheap ex-council flat in the Elephant and Castle area.
This is a predominantly black area and I don't want to sound racist or anything because I am not but I am genuinely scared about my well-being when living there.
Maybe my fear is fuelled by constant media coverage of stabbings, shootings and black gang operations in the east London maybe it is the fact I have never been an ethnic minority myself?

I am aware that this thread is about stereotypes and I apologise if I upset someone but I don't want to get beaten just because I am white.

'Black gang' is Peckham bro. :tongue:

Seriously though, just don't do anything stupid and you're likely to not be approached. It isn't as bad as it's made out to be. If anything does happen though, get ready to run!
Don't watch out for black people, just try and avoid chavs and dodgy looking people in general. Oh and don't go out at stupid hours.

and invest in a knife proof vest :biggrin:
Reply 9
Hello guys.

Seriously..?
Hello guys.

My sister lives in a council estate in Elephant and Council, and she has never seen anything dangerous. My dad lives in Stockwell and a shooting (gang) took place in the news agents opposite but again he has never actually seen/experienced any problems. There is alot of gang crime in London, but I think it is exaggerated by the media (cough cough Daily Mail). Also I think it is unfair to demonise black people, the problem in London is not a race one, it is a socio-economic one.

All in all, keep your head down and you will be fine. :smile: Take precautions like you would anywhere else, don't go out with your iPhone/phone/jewellery etc on show, don't look people in the eye for too long but don't make it blatantly obvious you're avoiding them.

Good luck with it.

Original post by Genocidal
I don't know, I live in Leeds.

Why post then?
Original post by rlw31
No, we'll stab you :rolleyes:

No reason to be sarcastic.

I am genuinely concerned :s-smilie:
If you go on holiday to Africa, you can be an ethnic minority too :smile:
It's not safe at all. I blame gangster rap and video games.
Won't somebody please think about the children?
Reply 14
its the ninjas you have to watch out for.
Original post by rugbyladosc
My sister lives in a council estate in Elephant and Council, and she has never seen anything dangerous.

I haven't been there for years, but last time I was there I got the impression that it was a bit of a dump.
What's it's like now?

One of my grandmothers used to live up the road in Kennington which was a bit better but not by much. Generally speaking it has gone down over the last 20 years or so.
Are french people fond of their children?
Original post by ibelongtoslytherin
Are french people fond of their children?

Hahaha :L

The title of this thread is just ridiculous.

Man up, OP.
Original post by effofex
I think as coloured men we have far more to be afraid of from white men/white women such as yourselves than you have to be from us.

That was uncalled for mate, it happened in the past and I am talking about current situation. Besides I am not trying to start a discussion about ethnic tensions but I am simply trying to get some advices about matter important to me.
Reply 19
Hello guys.

LOL that sentence.

Are you French?
Serious answer to your question,;well, I would not know if black people in London are aggressive. I would have to meet every one of them to come up with the conclusion to that.

Latest

Trending

Trending