The Student Room Group

Pharmacy applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by lagoom
oh, i thought you were a 2011 applicant! i'm thinking of applying to kings definetly, and i'm not really too sure where else, maybe brighton, nottingham, hertfordshirei still haven't completely decided i don't want to move too far away from london, what about you?

lol no 2012 applicant, for me i live in Leeds, so Bradford, Huddersfield, Manchester, Nottingham and uclan
Reply 221
Original post by Lauraaa12
I did work experience at superdrug! :smile:
It was pretty boring tbh, I did retail stuff, so one day would be fine I recon, If you just talk about roles a pharmacist does in the interview then you'll be cool, cus at the end of the day its not essential and shows you've gone out your way.

Hii did you just go into your local superdrug store and ask if you could volunteer/shadow for the day??
Reply 222
Anyone resitting and taking a gap year???

Also I'm just wondering as pharmacy is MPharm is it possible to do a phd straight after???
Reply 223
Original post by Inspire12
Hii did you just go into your local superdrug store and ask if you could volunteer/shadow for the day??

Yup, they said bring a CV in and they'd call me within a week :smile:
Hi, just wanted to know if anyone is applying after a gap year or applied after a gap year? And anyone sent their Ucas off yet? Any offers?
Reply 225
PhD after MPharm

You can but I wouldn't recommend it unless you never wanted to practice as a registered pharmacist. There is a time limit in which you need to have got your MPharm and completed your pre-registration training and passed the registration exam. It was 3 years under the RPSGB and I think it's the same with the GPhC.

Most commonly you register as a pharmacist and then go to do a PhD - this means that you can then locum to supplement your income.

There's also now the professional doctorate available now through some universities which follows an MSc. This is the work based equivalent of a PhD but the research work is done in a clinical setting. This has been talked about for many years as a progression route but now seems to be gaining a bit more interest.
Original post by Waking Dream
Hey! I got A.C.C and i'm retaking & reapplying too (aiming for A*AB) * hi 5 *

I know it's unfortunate but unis will see you as determined

are you worried about the fees or does it not bother you?

Hi Guys! I'm in the same position too, got ABC last year so retaking a few modules to get my grades up. I'm so happy I'm not the only one! Where are you guys looking to apply?
Reply 227
hey guys I messed up my AS and got BCCC :frown: i dropped one of the Cs and predicted BCC so no chance for me getting into a good university to do pharmacy.. so I am looking for some advice.. I really want to study pharmacy so I am working really hard this year and will be retaking exams in Jan to move my AS grades up, as for all my subjects I messed up one module each so I only need to retake 3 exams and then after getting my results in march I want to apply through ucas extra with my new grades. Now my confusion is which universities should I apply for right now. I was thinking of applying to foundation degrees but my teachers really believe I have the potential and if I work hard I can even get straight As so I should rather take a gap year then do a foundation degree. But I am still not quite sure because I really dont want to take a gap year
SO should I apply for foundation courses ryt now and then maybe if my grades go up in march reject any offers and apply to the unis i really want to go to like manchester and nottingham [ i know im aiming too high :frown: but I really can't help it ]
or should I apply to unis I really want to go to ryt now and even though I would be rejected for now, it would look good when I apply there again through ucas extra as it will show I really want to go there

Sorry for the essay guys but I really need help to decide.. thank youu x
Reply 228
i just sent off my ucas :O so scary, but its gone to my school so they can put my references and stuff on it and then i guess when i get my welcome letter from ucas i will know that its gone to the uni's ! so scary!
Reply 229
Original post by godknows
hey guys I messed up my AS and got BCCC :frown: i dropped one of the Cs and predicted BCC so no chance for me getting into a good university to do pharmacy.. so I am looking for some advice.. I really want to study pharmacy so I am working really hard this year and will be retaking exams in Jan to move my AS grades up, as for all my subjects I messed up one module each so I only need to retake 3 exams and then after getting my results in march I want to apply through ucas extra with my new grades. Now my confusion is which universities should I apply for right now. I was thinking of applying to foundation degrees but my teachers really believe I have the potential and if I work hard I can even get straight As so I should rather take a gap year then do a foundation degree. But I am still not quite sure because I really dont want to take a gap year
SO should I apply for foundation courses ryt now and then maybe if my grades go up in march reject any offers and apply to the unis i really want to go to like manchester and nottingham [ i know im aiming too high :frown: but I really can't help it ]
or should I apply to unis I really want to go to ryt now and even though I would be rejected for now, it would look good when I apply there again through ucas extra as it will show I really want to go there

First of all dont panic!!!! If your teachers believe u have the potential then tell them to predict u at least BBB, or ABB because u should be at least predicted one higher! And then u can apply like kingston and places with ABB or BBB unis! If they cant then foundation year is probably best! But dont give up!!! :biggrin: xxx
Reply 230
Original post by danaxx94
First of all dont panic!!!! If your teachers believe u have the potential then tell them to predict u at least BBB, or ABB because u should be at least predicted one higher! And then u can apply like kingston and places with ABB or BBB unis! If they cant then foundation year is probably best! But dont give up!!! :biggrin: xxx

hey its our schools policy thingii that you won't be predicted higher then what you got at your AS unless you change that in Jan and get higher results then they send a letter to the universities with the new predicted grades asking to reconsider our application.. and which unis do you recommend for the foundation year?
Original post by GarySpurs
Anyone here applying to Queens Belfast or the University of Ulster? Also what is the situation with applying to Scotland for Pharmacy, I dont see any of the Scottish Universities on the Ucas website.

I'm applying for Queens, it's by far my first choice!
Original post by GarySpurs
Anyone here applying to Queens Belfast or the University of Ulster? Also what is the situation with applying to Scotland for Pharmacy, I dont see any of the Scottish Universities on the Ucas website.

I was going to apply there, but my parents decided that having to take a ferry to get to uni was a step too far for me. :lol: It's got a great reputation though and I'd love to go there, but after dragging my mother round the country on open days I don't feel like I'm in a position to argue. And applying to Scottish uni's is just the same as English ones, you put them as your choice on UCAS, send off the application and wait to be interviewed. Were you thinking of Strathclyde or RGU?
Reply 233
hey its our schools policy thingii that you won't be predicted higher then what you got at your AS unless you change that in Jan and get higher results then they send a letter to the universities with the new predicted grades asking to reconsider our application.. and which unis do you recommend for the foundation year?

hey! to be honest im not too sure, but if u look at their prospectus' and stuff, but not many do it! here is a link http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Pharmacy_Degree the unis with FPC by the name are the ones with foundation year :biggrin: hope this helped! best of luck ! xx
I'm applying to DeMontfort, Huddersfield, Sunderland, Kingston and Liverpool JM (Sunderland is my top choice) and I noticed DeMontfort and Liverpool want IOTs as part of the entry...anyone more wised up than me on this? :/

A bit of a cheat for getting through to these top unis when you havent got the grades you need is to visit on a non-open day day (terrible use of english but hey you get me :L) and explain your situation directly to them-that way they are more likely to remember you personally through the application process. ALSO, when filling out your UCAS, dont just put your AS grades, put all the separate module grades to show there were only mistakes in one module.
If you dont get the offers, you will be able to ring individual universities with your updated grades :smile:
Reply 236
Original post by sophiewiseman
A bit of a cheat for getting through to these top unis when you havent got the grades you need is to visit on a non-open day day (terrible use of english but hey you get me :L) and explain your situation directly to them-that way they are more likely to remember you personally through the application process. ALSO, when filling out your UCAS, dont just put your AS grades, put all the separate module grades to show there were only mistakes in one module.
If you dont get the offers, you will be able to ring individual universities with your updated grades :smile:

hey thanks for replying... *If you dont get the offers, you will be able to ring individual universities with your updated grades* < will tht be through ucas extra or just generally I can call them and ask them to reconsider my application [without rejecting any existing offers]
Reply 237
I'm applying for Pharmacy 2012 entry, just thought I'd say hi :smile: I'm appplying for Nottingham, Manchester, LSOP, Cardiff and Reading!
Original post by Panamanap
I'm applying for Pharmacy 2012 entry, just thought I'd say hi :smile: I'm appplying for Nottingham, Manchester, LSOP, Cardiff and Reading!

I applied to Manchester, LSoP and reading last year! But I've reapplied to manchester this year..so I may be able to help with interview tips etc. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 239
Original post by Pink_dreams
I applied to Manchester, LSoP and reading last year! But I've reapplied to manchester this year..so I may be able to help with interview tips etc. Good luck! :smile:

Sounds like you could be very useful to me, I'm stressing over reading interview already! :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending