The Student Room Group

Pharmacy applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bright
Ok now help me decide, UCL or KCL? :s :/ :frown:

Congrats :smile: :smile: I know you've got a hard decision, but pick which one you liked best not which one people think is better...hope that helps. I'm only leaning towards UCL more because I liked it there better, nothing to do with where it is on the league table but it is a very hard decision :s
Reply 3441
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
Congrats :smile: :smile: I know you've got a hard decision, but pick which one you liked best not which one people think is better...hope that helps. I'm only leaning towards UCL more because I liked it there better, nothing to do with where it is on the league table but it is a very hard decision :s

Thanks :smile: I liked UCL better as well, the environment was just so much more cheery.. we shall see insha'Allah :]
looks like a battle has commenced between Kings and LSOP.

Who wins, you decide......
Reply 3443
Original post by James A
looks like a battle has commenced between Kings and LSOP.

Who wins, you decide......

You can be the commentator :wink:
Original post by Bright
You can be the commentator :wink:

haha :rofl:

I'll try!

So far, LSOP are taking the advantage.....
Reply 3445
Original post by James A
haha :rofl:

I'll try!

So far, LSOP are taking the advantage.....

UCL* :cool:
Original post by Bright
UCL* :cool:

oh yes, i keep on forgetting about them merging together.

UCLsop it is
Are you guys gonna submit your firms now or wait a bit? Also, If I already have the grades (gap year) do I need an insurance? :s not quite sure
Reply 3448
Are you guys gonna submit your firms now or wait a bit? Also, If I already have the grades (gap year) do I need an insurance? :s not quite sure

I'm going to wait a bit :smile:

You already have the grades (lucky you mA) so I'd assume you don't need to have an insurance :smile:
Original post by Bright
I'm going to wait a bit :smile:

You already have the grades (lucky you mA) so I'd assume you don't need to have an insurance :smile:

Thanks, I had to ask in case I did it wrong lol :smile: and yeah I'll probably wait a bit too
Original post by Bright
Sameee how was the post offer open day for Kings?

But UCL is better in terms of both reputation and for the course..

People with UCL and Kings offers..which one are you leaning towards? I'm thinking UCL anyone have other opinions?

The open day was alright; the one thing that stuck out to me was how they taught their course. What the lecturer said was that they teach you about how a normal functioning system works (e.g. the nervous system) and so you learn about the physiology behind that, then you learn how that system would break down and start to malfunction and so which diseases cause that, then you look at what drugs target those diseases and how.. etc. That method of teaching really appealed to me rather than having a bunch of lectures and classes thrown at me in a random order.

I know someone who goes to UCLsop and she said that she's in her second year and she hadn't touched a text book since the lecturers spoon feed you in the information (essentially; also this was a few months ago so I'm sure she's been to the library now!). In this thread here a first year King's student gave me pretty detailed answers on what it was like studying there. When I read what he said I liked the sound of it; he gave the impression that at Kings they give you space to think about the drugs and to apply knowledge to solve problems.. so it is more independent but in a 'controlled environment'. After all you're going to have to think on your feet after graduation so might as well start now.

Not sure about you guys, but I like the sound of that compared to UCLsop! When I went to my UCL interview I really did like the environment and atmosphere, it was so friendly! But then I thought, I'm going to university to get a degree to get a job so therefore I'd need to go somewhere that appeals to me in terms of the teaching. Having said that, KCL is pretty good on the social side too so I don't feel like I'm missing out!

So yeah, as you can tell I'm leaning towards King's... probably will firm it after I speak to another few people :smile:
Reply 3451
Original post by mimsicle
The open day was alright; the one thing that stuck out to me was how they taught their course. What the lecturer said was that they teach you about how a normal functioning system works (e.g. the nervous system) and so you learn about the physiology behind that, then you learn how that system would break down and start to malfunction and so which diseases cause that, then you look at what drugs target those diseases and how.. etc. That method of teaching really appealed to me rather than having a bunch of lectures and classes thrown at me in a random order.

I know someone who goes to UCLsop and she said that she's in her second year and she hadn't touched a text book since the lecturers spoon feed you in the information (essentially; also this was a few months ago so I'm sure she's been to the library now!). In this thread here a first year King's student gave me pretty detailed answers on what it was like studying there. When I read what he said I liked the sound of it; he gave the impression that at Kings they give you space to think about the drugs and to apply knowledge to solve problems.. so it is more independent but in a 'controlled environment'. After all you're going to have to think on your feet after graduation so might as well start now.

Not sure about you guys, but I like the sound of that compared to UCLsop! When I went to my UCL interview I really did like the environment and atmosphere, it was so friendly! But then I thought, I'm going to university to get a degree to get a job so therefore I'd need to go somewhere that appeals to me in terms of the teaching. Having said that, KCL is pretty good on the social side too so I don't feel like I'm missing out!

So yeah, as you can tell I'm leaning towards King's... probably will firm it after I speak to another few people :smile:

Wow thanks that was really detailed an well explained :smile:

I've heard the spoon feeding thing about UCL as well.. but wondering whether it'll be harder to get a degree from KCL in that case :/

Also when I went to UCL intv it seemed more like sixth form/college again and I'd like a bit more of the uni feel which Kings portrayed a little bit more I think.. hmm
Just firmed my unconditional from Strathclyde :biggrin:

**** just got real lol:tongue:. Oh & if you firm an unconditional offer, you don't have the luxury of picking an insurance. But for e.g if you firm a conditional offer which is subject to health checks and CRB only then you can put your unconditional an an insurance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bright
Wow thanks that was really detailed an well explained :smile:

I've heard the spoon feeding thing about UCL as well.. but wondering whether it'll be harder to get a degree from KCL in that case :/

Also when I went to UCL intv it seemed more like sixth form/college again and I'd like a bit more of the uni feel which Kings portrayed a little bit more I think.. hmm

No problem :smile: yeah I was thinking about that too, but I suppose it comes down to personal preference. I'd rather learn to think for myself instead of memorising facts for an exam (which is currently what a levrls are :tongue: ); so whatever floats your boat really :smile:
Original post by Jin3011
Sh*t just got real lol:tongue:. Oh & if you firm an unconditional offer, you don't have the luxury of picking an insurance. But for e.g if you firm a conditional offer which is subject to health checks and CRB only then you can put your unconditional an an insurance.

Lool! Thanks" So how do I find out if my offers are subject to health checks and stuff? It says 'unconditional' so do I just put LSOP as my firm and submit?

it's best to do it straight away so you can apply for accommodation early and hence get good halls.
Anyone got 8 Exam's to do in the summer or is it just me :frown:
Original post by sikhtank27
Anyone got 8 Exam's to do in the summer or is it just me :frown:

7 here!

i blame myself for doing bad in the jan exams. i need to start drinking more water and make sure my brain is nice and hydrated before the exams.
Original post by mimsicle

^ the part i bolded, is that talking about UCL or Kings? I'm probably a bit opposite to you in terms that I'd prefer to be taught everything, or as some people may say 'spoon fed' but I don't see anything wrong with that, getting more for your money right? The whole thing about Kings 'throwing you in the deep end' worries me a bit, I think I'd probably struggle there a lot more. I do agree about you saying you should be independent at university etc and thats maybe a downside about UCL but surely in the fourth year you'll have more opportunity for that...But I don't know about that...hm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending