The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 23rd June 2011 SOLUTIONS IN FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
How many raw marks will you need for 100 UMS?
Original post by Ultimate1
OK here is my solution for the difference of series Q

I also used this method:smile: I think it should be fine, the question itself is actually in the FP2 book, I remembered doing it with the same method, I will take a look at the model solution on the computer to see what they suggest:smile:
Reply 62
Original post by architecture
any ideas what 89 ums will be as a raw score?

About 66/75
Reply 63
OK here is my solution for the difference of series Q:

r2=(2r+1)324(2r1)324112r^2 = \frac{(2r+1)^3}{24}-\frac{(2r-1)^3}{24} - \frac{1}{12}

then series it from r =1 to r=n:

you get:

9/8 - 1/24 - 1/12

125/24 - 9/8 - 1/12

343/24 - 125/24 - 1/12

(2n+1)324(2n1)324112\frac{(2n+1)^3}{24} - \frac{(2n-1)^3}{24} -\frac{1}{12}

so overall when you add them all together you get:

(2n+1)324124n12 \frac{(2n+1)^3}{24} - \frac{1}{24} - \frac {n}{12}

Multiply through by 24:

(2n+1)312n8n3+12n2+6n+112n[br][br]8n3+12n2+4n[br][br]n6(48n2+72n+24n)[br][br]n6(4n2+6n+2)[br][br]n6(2n+1)(n+1) (2n+1)^3 - 1 - 2n \rightarrow 8n^3 + 12n^2 +6n + 1 - 1 - 2n[br][br]\rightarrow 8n^3 + 12n^2 +4n[br][br]\rightarrow \frac{n}{6} (48n^2 + 72n +24n)[br][br]\rightarrow \frac{n}{6}(4n^2 + 6n + 2)[br][br]\rightarrow \frac{n}{6}(2n+1)(n+1)

Phew. lol.

Original post by semolina pilchard
I also used this method:smile: I think it should be fine, the question itself is actually in the FP2 book, I remembered doing it with the same method, I will take a look at the model solution on the computer to see what they suggest:smile:

This method is fine.

You've just subtracted 2n and divided by 24 same as me but I did it at the end while you did it at the beginning.
Reply 64
Original post by Lucy23
How many raw marks will you need for 100 UMS?

Last two years it's been 74.
Reply 65
lol, i flopped this paper, wasn't prepared
Original post by Gibbo81
About 66/75

ahhh thanks! I think best case scenario i got 69, but worst case 64.... very very borderline for an a* then, as i need 89 for one! i think my most likely mark will be 65/66. kicking myself about silly one mark errors ive made..
Reply 67
Original post by semolina pilchard
Hey Gibbo, thanks for the solutions. I just have a couple of queries regarding some marks if you would not mind answering:smile:

Question 2 - I got the wrong value for the third differential, everything else correct including the series apart from where I had used my wrong value, (2 marks lost?)

Question 6 - Integrated within the limits correctly but when working out the area of the triangle I did 0.5(5/2)x base rather than 0.5(5/2sin60) x base :rolleyes: I then took this value away from the value of the integrated area. (2/3 lost?)

Question 7b) - I incorrectly identified 2pi to be valid and I must have forgotten to use the negative root has I only had 5 solutions, 4 of which were valid.

Question 8c) - Differentiated, set to 0 but ran out of time really.

Much appreciated:smile:

Question 2- you'd lose two marks; 1 for the incorrect value of y''' and then 1 for not having the final answer correct.

Question 6- I reckon you'd lose 2 maybe three if your unlucky. It depends if one of the marks is for working out the sides of the triangle or not.

Question 7- I think you'd lose two marks here. You'd lose one for not considering the negative root and then one for not having all the solutions.

Question 8 - Not sure you'd get anything. I think one mark will be for saying the e^-3t tends to zero then one for the answer.

So max loss of 9 marks which should get you 88-91ums.

Hope that's good news:redface:
Reply 68
ahhh thanks! I think best case scenario i got 69, but worst case 64.... very very borderline for an a* then, as i need 89 for one! i think my most likely mark will be 65/66. kicking myself about silly one mark errors ive made..

Fingers crossed.
What other modules have you taken for Maths and F Maths??
Reply 69
Original post by Gibbo81
This method is fine.

You've just subtracted 2n and divided by 24 same as me but I did it at the end while you did it at the beginning.

Thanks! Phew I thought with 3 terms being taken away at once it would not have been suitable lol.
Reply 70
Thanks! Phew I thought with 3 terms being taken away at once it would not have been suitable lol.

Nah that's fine. You've only got a -1/12 hanging on the end of your method of differences.
It's a perfectly good method, mine's just a bit more economical on ink!!
Original post by Gibbo81
Fingers crossed.
What other modules have you taken for Maths and F Maths??

for a2 modules ive taken s2 (got 93) and m2 (88), and this summer ive done fp3 and fp2.. think 89 is more likely in fp2 though, so counting on it!
Reply 72
Original post by Gibbo81
Nah that's fine. You've only got a -1/12 hanging on the end of your method of differences.
It's a perfectly good method, mine's just a bit more economical on ink!!

Yeah mate yours uses much less space :wink: But I suppose 5 marks is 5 marks lol. I'm very grateful for your help, thanks! BTW did you do STEP or going to do AEA?
Reply 73
for a2 modules ive taken s2 (got 93) and m2 (88), and this summer ive done fp3 and fp2.. think 89 is more likely in fp2 though, so counting on it!

Hmmm.

I would have gone for a re-take in M2. The grade boundaries are always higher for these A2 modules in Jan (I assume you did it in Jan).

Oh well. Good luck!!
Original post by Gibbo81
Hmmm.

I would have gone for a re-take in M2. The grade boundaries are always higher for these A2 modules in Jan (I assume you did it in Jan).

Oh well. Good luck!!

a retake was tempting - but i didnt know about the grade boundaries (did take it in jan)! also, i was never that great at m2, so i thought that my 88 was unlikely to go up. s2 wish id got 100 though, especially as i thought id nailed the exam! thank you :smile:
Reply 75
a retake was tempting - but i didnt know about the grade boundaries (did take it in jan)! also, i was never that great at m2, so i thought that my 88 was unlikely to go up. s2 wish id got 100 though, especially as i thought id nailed the exam! thank you :smile:

If you did S2 in Jan 93ums was 73/75.

Told you the boundaries are a b1tch in Jan!!

It's because mainly F Maths students do them in Jan and then weaker students do them as their final applied exam in June.
Original post by Gibbo81
If you did S2 in Jan 93ums was 73/75.

Told you the boundaries are a b1tch in Jan!!

It's because mainly F Maths students do them in Jan and then weaker students do them as their final applied exam in June.

Omg what.. i deserve more than 93 then! gah if id even got 95 then that would help with my 89!
Original post by Gibbo81

Thanks for posting the solutions :smile:

On question 2 I ended up getting k to equal 2, as I'd somehow managed to differentiate incorrectly :frown: That then meant I got the coefficient of x^3 wrong for part b, but got the other terms right. Do you know how many marks I'd lose for that?

For 5c. I only got up to putting w = [x + i(y+1) ] / [(3 - y) +ix ] would I get a mark for doing that?

The only other marks I think I lost were the last 2 for 8c, so I'm hoping I didn't lose too many others from Q2 or Q5.
Reply 78
Original post by Generic.Username
Thanks for this :smile: A question about 5 - is it a valid method to find the coordinates of R instead? I forgot this method and did a similar thing, equating imaginary parts to 0, and instead found the points on the real axis to be +/- rt 3 rather than the original circle equation. Then just said these are on C as it's the coordinates of intersection with the real axis. Not sure if that would get any marks :s-smilie:

Me and my friend got that too. Except I forgot to put +/- in front. I think we made some mistake when substituting x+iy. We should have done it earlier. Something like that. I think we might get 1 mark if we're lucky.
Reply 79
giboo, how much marks would i loose if i done the same series approach posted in the previous page, i got up to canceling the values and then left it at that point,

how much you rekon ill get out of 5 marks??

thanks alot!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending