The Student Room Group

Mathematics A-Level (Module 'Rearrangement')?

I wish to enquire about the predicament I seem to be in. In our school, we were 'assigned' to have the modular choices of:

C1
C2
C3
C4
M1
S1

However, I took Further Mathematics as well. As I require an A in Mathematics (and not in Further Mathematics) for a placement in University, I wish to understand whether it is possible to sub out S1 with M2 (from Further Mathematics) so that the UMS total would have a greater chance to be high enough for an A grade. I am not sure if this is done automatically by the board, disregardless of whether it is requested or not, to give a candidate the best possible grade?

The board is WJEC by the way!
Reply 1
I'm not 100% sure but this is my understanding.

If you will complete both courses at the same time - ie if you will be certified your A Level maths and further maths at the same time - the exam board will maximise your mark by combining the modules in the way that maximises your mark.

However, if you complete your A Level maths in one year, you will be certified for it and there's then no way to move around the modules. Once you have completed further maths in the next year
Unless WJEC has some different way of doing it to the other exam boards, they will maximise your Maths grade but with the lowest mark, so as to then maximise your Further Maths grade rather than your Maths UMS score. They exam board does it automatically.

eg. You will always get AC instead of BB if those are the options.
Reply 3
Original post by jennieec

If you will complete both courses at the same time - ie if you will be certified your A Level maths and further maths at the same time - the exam board will maximise your mark by combining the modules in the way that maximises your mark.

However, if you complete your A Level maths in one year, you will be certified for it and there's then no way to move around the modules. Once you have completed further maths in the next year

Thing is, this year I have resat C4, so my A2 level has to be recalculated anyways.... Further Maths is definately an D-U, my Normal Maths is a B right now.

Also, I resat some AS maths papers in January.

Does this change anything?
Reply 4
They will arrange your modules so as to give you the lowest mark for the highest grade possible in Maths (so if you need 420 for a B, they will give the lowest combination of marks that will get you those 420 - If you could possibly get 450 or 425, they will take the 425 option to give you the same grade, but also give more UMS available to F Maths) and then put the rest all in F Maths..

The exam board will do this automatically.

Next year I'm completing straight maths A2 in January (rather than june like the rest of my A-levels), and I can stop it from being certified straight away by just requesting it from my school/admissions officer.

Yes you can rearrange, most schools will automatically rearrange to give you the best grade in straight Maths, and then the rest will go to further maths. However, some schools will balance it to get the best spread (2 Bs instead of an A and a C).

Better to ask your school and how they do it.
Reply 6
I'd too like to know if you can get the school to rearrange them - I've done 13 modules and am getting M and FM certified, but my uni offer only relies on FM. If they go for the best grade in maths, will that mean I could drop in FM, and not get my offer? Edexcel by the way, and I've tried asking my EO, but he hasn't got a clue about all this grade maximising stuff.
Reply 7
Edexcel will maximise your grades automatically.

However you need to make sure you are 'claiming' for both qualifications at the same time

Eg) If you do Maths and FMaths to A2 and you are claiming for both qualifications then you don't have to worry.

Where problems arise is when someone has done A Level Maths or AS FMaths and claimed the qualification at the end of Year 12. These modules are then locked into the qualification unless you unlock them by reclaiming.

To do this you need to ask your exams office at school or college (or your head of maths/maths teacher if they know what they're doing)
Reply 8

You can re-certify you know - atleast with some exam boards.

You might need to email WJEC, OP. I couldn't find anything on their website about recertification.
Reply 9
Hi -Name-

Provided that you enter for a cash-in (a request to aggregate marks) for both A level Mathematics and A level Further Mathematics at the time when you finish both courses, then there are rules that we have to follow. They are quite complicated but very briefly, we HAVE to award the best grade we can to Mathematics first. So, if that means using M2 instead of S1 in order to achieve that, our computers will do it automatically. We would do that by the most economical combination however. So, if, for example, you would get an A grade irrespective of whether we choose S1 or M2, then we would choose the one with the lowest mark for A level Maths so as to give you a better chance to get a higher grade in Further Maths.

In most cases, schools and colleges enter for the Maths cash-in automatically with the Further Maths (or the computer does it automatically for them - I'm not sure!) but, if it's this year, it may be worth checking with your exams officer at the school to see if this has happened.

It is complicated, so by all means give me a ring if you need further explanations, it is easier over the phone than in an email!

Best wishes,

John

This is the email I received back from WJEC.
Original post by dan1d

Original post by dan1d

The exam board will do this automatically.

sorry to gatecrash your thread but I had a related question! I've done maths and furthermaths on OCR.
Could i have the following combo:

Maths: C1-4, M2 & S3
F Maths: FP1, FP3, D1, M1, S1, S2
Thanks!!!
Reply 11
Original post by purplestarfish

No, S3 not at all and M2 only if M1 as well
Reply 12
Original post by purplestarfish
sorry to gatecrash your thread but I had a related question! I've done maths and furthermaths on OCR.

F Maths: FP1, FP3, D1, M1, S1, S2
Thanks!!!

You could take all of those units, but they'd automatically put S1 and M1 or M1/M2 or S1/S2 into your Maths and the rest automatically get shunted into further maths. So yes, you can have those units, but they'd be assigned on that basis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending