Reply 61
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww........ *vomit*

Someone needs some plastic surgery!!

awwwwwwwwwww, he just looks so happy!!! bless his little cotton socks! :p:
Reply 62
la la la... WHEEEEEEEEEE!!! have reached 100th post!!! :p:

:party:
Reply 63
Thank you dobbs and Rach for your explanation of the course. You two should write an alternative prospectus- would be so much clearer than the depts! I'm trying to persuade parents that Durham is better than Bristol at the mo- they like Bristol because its only an hour and half away whereas Durham is about 7 hours tee hee. I prefer Durham! Also course at Bristol is syllabus based - so less choice- whereas Durham is modular.

Also I kinda agree with both the "daddy" and the "daughter"- I think Geographer's often need to study how physical or human elements of an environment interact to shape it- so if your a human geographer you still need an understanding of the physical environment around for example the city you are studying so the discipline I don't know if people can call themselves purely human or physical geographers. BUT OF COURSE I COULD BE WRONG AS I AM A MERE A-LEVEL STUDENT.
Reply 64
mel0112
Thank you dobbs and Rach for your explanation of the course. You two should write an alternative prospectus- would be so much clearer than the depts! I'm trying to persuade parents that Durham is better than Bristol at the mo- they like Bristol because its only an hour and half away whereas Durham is about 7 hours tee hee. I prefer Durham! Also course at Bristol is syllabus based - so less choice- whereas Durham is modular.

Also I kinda agree with both the "daddy" and the "daughter"- I think Geographer's often need to study how physical or human elements of an environment interact to shape it- so if your a human geographer you still need an understanding of the physical environment around for example the city you are studying so the discipline I don't know if people can call themselves purely human or physical geographers. BUT OF COURSE I COULD BE WRONG AS I AM A MERE A-LEVEL STUDENT.

:biggrin: Glad someone agrees with me!
And no problem about the explanation....any more problems feel free to pm either of us, although Dobbs might be slightly more helpful, although I try my best! :smile: (dont listen to him when he says I know nothing! :rolleyes: )
Good luck with persuading the parents....mine were exactly the same, would have preferred me to have gone to a uni nearer, but I got my way in the end! :biggrin:
Reply 65
Rach:)

Good luck with persuading the parents....mine were exactly the same, would have preferred me to have gone to a uni nearer, but I got my way in the end! :biggrin:

whee! escape to FREEDOM!! :ridinghor :p:
Reply 66
"lol" They're warming to the idea of Durham. Bit of a shot in the dark but does anyone know where the nearest rock climbing wall to Durham is? and also if the uni has some sort of society/club for climbers?
Reply 67
mel0112
"lol" They're warming to the idea of Durham. Bit of a shot in the dark but does anyone know where the nearest rock climbing wall to Durham is? and also if the uni has some sort of society/club for climbers?
I know there is one near by, though not in durham, as I know a couple of people who climb
Reply 68
mel0112

3 of my housemates are climbers. There's a wall at somewhere called Newton Acliffe (don't know how to spell it, google it to find out how near it is to Durham) and also at Sunderland, but apparently there are good bouldering opportunities down by the river somewhere too. :smile:
Reply 69
Oohhh thank u! I did a national wall search but they only came up with two in Newcastle.

Seperate question (to Rach or Dobbs)- noticed that in first year you do two modules from other courses- and it said in prospectus that if you were doing Bsc then you would chose modules from the science faculty- any ideas which subjects you can do modules from? Also is this any flexibility- i.e. as a Bsc student could you do a module in Anthropology?
Reply 70
mel0112
Oohhh thank u! I did a national wall search but they only came up with two in Newcastle.

Seperate question (to Rach or Dobbs)- noticed that in first year you do two modules from other courses- and it said in prospectus that if you were doing Bsc then you would chose modules from the science faculty- any ideas which subjects you can do modules from? Also is this any flexibility- i.e. as a Bsc student could you do a module in Anthropology?

Meh, dont listen to that! :rolleyes:
You can take any two level 1 open modules that are worth 20 credits each....in other words 2 out of this list:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/module_search/?search_keyword=&search_dept=&search_type=O&search_level=1&search_credits=20&search_modcode= (its a long list! :rolleyes: )
I was never told that your open modules have to be from the science/art faculty, and they don't check up on that, I think its just general advice, so dont worry! :smile:
I wanted to do a psychology module but couldnt register for it because the geography department kept us waiting for 3 hours before registration for no known reason!grr! :mad: So I just took all the geography modules, but I'm glad I did because they've turned out to be really interesting, especially the cities one! :eek: :biggrin:

(*waits for dobbs to correct her* :p: )
Reply 71
Meh, dont listen to that! :rolleyes:
You can take any two level 1 open modules that are worth 20 credits each....in other words 2 out of this list:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/module_search/?search_keyword=&search_dept=&search_type=O&search_level=1&search_credits=20&search_modcode= (its a long list! :rolleyes: )
I was never told that your open modules have to be from the science/art faculty, and they don't check up on that, I think its just general advice, so dont worry! :smile:
I wanted to do a psychology module but couldnt register for it because the geography department kept us waiting for 3 hours before registration for no known reason!grr! :mad: So I just took all the geography modules, but I'm glad I did because they've turned out to be really interesting, especially the cities one! :eek: :biggrin:

:eek: They kept you waiting!!! Reckon its some sort of control mechanism to prevent anyone from beginning to like another subject other than Geography. Didn't realise you could take all geo modules though- if i come to Durham, prob will end up doing that. Happy New Year (and thanks for help)
Reply 72
They kept you waiting!!! Reckon its some sort of control mechanism to prevent anyone from beginning to like another subject other than Geography.

hehe! cunning! :p:

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!! bring on 2006!!
:party:

:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: (the turtles of the apocoalypse!!! - aint they cute!!!) :p:
Reply 73
Cities and Environment and Society (the 2 optional modules) rock a whole series of socks.
Reply 74
Don't worry too much about your parents mel0112. Mine were just the same last year and then I brought them up to the open day with me so that they would hopefully feel better about it and they couldn't stop talking about how much they liked it on the way home. :biggrin:
Reply 75

Sounds good to me :smile:

Though one thing I might suggest on the side is try to take something that does relate to your course. Yeah it might be a laugh to do "British Sign Language" but it's not going to help your degree (unless afterwards you're planning to do something that it's relevant to). So if you love human geography try to stick to anthropology, sociology, history, or politics. Physical geographers stick to biology, geology, ecology, or something like that :smile:

Just a suggestion though :wink:
Reply 76
Ah, I'm glad I didn't have the dilemma of choosing electives from other depts. :smile: I would have had a tough time choosing!
Reply 77
hmm, im applying for BA geog but as an "evil physicaler" (according to Dobbs!!! :p: ) am much more interested in sciencey stuff :biggrin: (i didnt apply for Bsc because of mean teacher.. grr!! :rolleyes: ) is there any point changing courses once at uni, or can i shift around modules enough for it not to matter? :cool:
Reply 78
Sjay_baby
hmm, im applying for BA geog but as an "evil physicaler" (according to Dobbs!!! :p: ) am much more interested in sciencey stuff :biggrin: (i didnt apply for Bsc because of mean teacher.. grr!! :rolleyes: ) is there any point changing courses once at uni, or can i shift around modules enough for it not to matter? :cool:

If you get here I'd leave it for the first year as many people swap around so there's no point changing to BSc in the first term then at the end of the year wanting to swap back. It makes no difference at all anyway.

However, in 2nd year anyone doing BA does the "Social Research for Geography" module and anyone doing BSc does "Scientific Research for Geography" so if you still want to do evil physical stuff (:wink:) then it'll be easy enough to swap. It really is easy too, you just get a form and get a couple of signatures and you're sorted :smile:
Reply 79
dobbs
If you get here I'd leave it for the first year as many people swap around so there's no point changing to BSc in the first term then at the end of the year wanting to swap back. It makes no difference at all anyway.

However, in 2nd year anyone doing BA does the "Social Research for Geography" module and anyone doing BSc does "Scientific Research for Geography" so if you still want to do evil physical stuff (:wink:) then it'll be easy enough to swap. It really is easy too, you just get a form and get a couple of signatures and you're sorted :smile:

Fab thanx!! :biggrin: so 1st year stuff is pretty much the same then?