The Student Room Group

15 year old volunteering

Hey,
I'm 15 years old yet to turn 16 years old at the end of august...I can't get a job due to age issues, but I really want to do something with my summer, so I want to volunteer, however I don't know what career I wish to do....so where should I volunteer?? I want to build more experience on my cv as well, as this might help when I look for a part time job in september...

Scroll to see replies

Depends what your interests are... I volunteer at a local theatre and its great fun and really interesting! Or how about a guide/scout group, and I'm sure theres some sort of charity or business that are looking for volunteers :smile:
Reply 2
Also, if anyone knows any place in London hiring 15 year olds please let me know, also if their are any internships available in london for 15 year olds please let me know.

If anyone knows anywhere in london, that does courses or something like that which allows you to pick up some qualifications over the summer please let me know (but not the ones you have to pay sooo much for)
Reply 3
when i was 15 i volunteered at the vets i did not get paid though got rewarded with cake
Reply 4
What sort of things do you like to do? Try www.do-it.org.uk, they've got loads of options.
Its summer. Go outside.
Reply 6
Original post by MissSBx
when i was 15 i volunteered at the vets i did not get paid though got rewarded with cake

I don't mind about the pay, I just want experience..but i don't think i can work with animals...I'm such a wuss :/
Reply 7
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Its summer. Go outside.

Yes! I am going to be doing a lot of going outside, but I have sooo much time...I really want to do something with it, as well as have fun :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by the-girl
I don't mind about the pay, I just want experience..but i don't think i can work with animals...I'm such a wuss :/

Oh right i was only volunteering because it was part of my duke of edinburgh program but you could do various other types of volunteering such as charity work, environmentalist work
Charity shop will get you good till and customer experience. You could try youth groups/summer programs for kids, though primary schools don't break up for another month so you'd have to wait to look for those kinda things. Ummm hospices and care homes and places like that? I'm (hopefully) gonna volunteer with mentally disabled young adults this summer. Maybe try something like that?
Reply 10
Try visiting some charity websites as they may have an internship program; if that doesn't interest you, try visiting charity shops, or try somewhere like mencap or cadets (St. John Ambulance, air cadets, etc...)
Reply 11
My job in a charity shop is the only reason I have a job now, you can witter on about how you have good experience with tills/stock/meeting targets/punctuality/enthusiasm and crap like that.
you could try 'worldwide volunteering' its like a database of different volunteering websites, and you get the chance to work abroad or in the UK if you want, but its probably a bit more useful for you when your 16 if you want to try abroad
Reply 13
Hey,
I'm 15 years old yet to turn 16 years old at the end of august...I can't get a job due to age issues, but I really want to do something with my summer, so I want to volunteer, however I don't know what career I wish to do....so where should I volunteer?? I want to build more experience on my cv as well, as this might help when I look for a part time job in september...

I know british red cross charity shops take on 15 yr olds. it's nice working there, I like it.
Reply 14
a primary school you to get experience with kids and socialize with them and get a good understanding with them maybe that will help
Reply 15
Oh my god! Im looking for somewhere to volunteer for my DofE award!
Am i allowed to volunteer at the vets? I didnt think we could volunteer for a place that made profit...
I volunteer at a charity shop and it's fun. You get to do all sorts of stuff and learn different skills
girlguiding uk
Guilguiding is good, it makes it easier but you don't have to in Guiding to do it. My friend (who isn't in guiding) volunteers at her local Rainbow group for her DofE and she finds it really fun. I'm 15 and I volunteer at my local rescue centre once a week where I do cleaning but you can also do petting & feeding. Other places you can volunteer are charity shops, the church, the library :smile:
Hey,

I've been volunteering in a charity shop every week for two hours since I was 15. It's a lot of fun and gives you work experience to apply to a retail job with :biggrin:.

EDIT: just realised this is a VERY old thread :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending