Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

celebrity chess players

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know that Steve davis(the snooker player) is a good chess player, but does anyone know of any other notable people who play?
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    A quick google brought up this:

http://www.geocities.com/siliconvall...378/famous.htm

Do you consider the current chess champions as celebrities? :holmes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No i was thinking more along the lines of people who have other careers. I did play a game against a team which included nigel short's dad, but i dont consider him a celebrity.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Recently saw in the news that Libyan president Gaddafi played chess with some visiting russian. Whether he is considered celebrity or if he plays crap, idk.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wladimir Klitschko is supposedly a very good player.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Wladimir Klitschko is supposedly a very good player.
    I played in the Birmingham and district chess league, Birmingham University could hardly field a team. Now boxers and snooker players have more brains than wannabe graduates. Chess should be a must for all academia.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aljolson)
    I played in the Birmingham and district chess league, Birmingham University could hardly field a team. Now boxers and snooker players have more brains than wannabe graduates. Chess should be a must for all academia.
    Just to get technical, but Klitschko is a graduate. He has a Ph.D in sport science, and not one of those honorary degrees they give to celebrities now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Just to get technical, but Klitschko is a graduate. He has a Ph.D in sport science, and not one of those honorary degrees they give to celebrities now.
    I have no problem with klischko's of this world, I was taught chess by a German POW, I am worried about the lack of interest by the so called next generation, is it chess or yard of ale?
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aleister Crowley was a strong chess player. Of course there have also been celebrities that are famous because of the success of their chess careers such as Garry Kasparov, Bobby Fischer, Anatoly Karpov, Joshua Waitzkin, Alexander Alekhine, and the like.

Edit: Benjamin Franklin was a strong player too I remember reading.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with klischko's of this world, I was taught chess by a German POW, I am worried about the lack of interest by the so called next generation, is it chess or yard of ale?
    I was referring to how you said "Now boxers and snooker players have more brains than wannabe graduates" when Klitschko is himself the holder of one of the highest classes of degree attainable, so it's hardly surprising.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will Smith is a very good player, a fan of the Sicilian Dragon I believe.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    it is good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    Will Smith is a very good player, a fan of the Sicilian Dragon I believe.
    The Dragon, respect to anyone brave enough to play this, it's total war. I prefer the lopez, but do play the Marshall Gambit from both sides, and have beaten some very good players with it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Dragon, respect to anyone brave enough to play this, it's total war. I prefer the lopez, but do play the Marshall Gambit from both sides, and have beaten some very good players with it.
    I tend to play the Lopez as white and change it up a bit as black, I've played the Dragon a few times but I'm not very confident with it so I wouldn't use it in tournament play.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    einstein was a decent chess player , rated like 1300-1400
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    I am not surprised about einy,sheer intellectual genius.Now I am wondering about Stephen hawking
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jerry Sadowitz the scottish comic and magician is a top class chess player, he plays often at a chess club in camden. He's a very bright guy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    I tend to play the Lopez as white and change it up a bit as black, I've played the Dragon a few times but I'm not very confident with it so I wouldn't use it in tournament play.
    I have a serious problem to d4 when playing with the black pieces, I only counter with nf6, and usually end up in a benko gambit, not too succsessful.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    The dragon is my favourite opening as black :sad: .. As you say, it is total war

Have you ever considered joining the TSR Chess Society Chat? It's in my sig if you fancy
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    That's not really that good... for me I'd say "decent" is 1800

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 29, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.