The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Taking up a foreign language at the University of Manchester.

I will be doing the PPE course at manchester this coming September and I was just wondering if there is the possibility of taking up a foreign language? I am quite keen on picking up French but it seems as though its not possible unless you are doing a degree in something with french on the side?

would appreciate it if anybody could clarify this! thanks!
Reply 1
I was wondering the same thing! I'm doing English language at manchester and want to take up Spanish. Did you do French at A level?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Yes there is, actually! I'm planning on taking French apart from my degree, myself :biggrin:

You can either use your free credits for the language course or pay some extra money--around 300pounds/year (if you'd rather use your credits on your degree)

More info here: http://www.langcent.manchester.ac.uk/languages/information/faqs/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mbottomley
I was wondering the same thing! I'm doing English language at manchester and want to take up Spanish. Did you do French at A level?

nope i didn't do french at A levels but I did abit of self study! anyway what i gather from my research is that you can pick up a foreign language course via the language centre but you need to have free credits to spend on these courses... if you don't have any spare credits you need to pay 300£ to take it up! yikes!
Reply 4
Original post by bryaneatscameras
nope i didn't do french at A levels but I did abit of self study! anyway what i gather from my research is that you can pick up a foreign language course via the language centre but you need to have free credits to spend on these courses... if you don't have any spare credits you need to pay 300£ to take it up! yikes!

A French Learners society exists (not sure of the exact name, sorry) and they offer free French lessons!
Original post by mbottomley

Hey! I have the same major as you and am an exchange student for the coming semester. :smile:And I also want to take up Spanish during the time in Manchester.:wink: Is there any spanish clubs for practice?
Reply 6
cool! I want to take up a few languages and I was wondering the same thing. sucks that we have to pay! I thought colleges offered that for free? (at least the ones I had checked!)

ah well, I can always give spanish grinds in exchange for some other language I guess!
Original post by triloko
cool! I want to take up a few languages and I was wondering the same thing. sucks that we have to pay! I thought colleges offered that for free? (at least the ones I had checked!)

ah well, I can always give spanish grinds in exchange for some other language I guess!

Haha! you are spanish? I can exchange chinese grinds with your spanish, good deal?:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by eileenxxy123
Haha! you are spanish? I can exchange chinese grinds with your spanish, good deal?:biggrin::biggrin:

ha! cool! I actually want to learn chinese, you got a deal there! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by OnlyMe!
A French Learners society exists (not sure of the exact name, sorry) and they offer free French lessons!

Do you have a clue which levels they offer?
Reply 10
Original post by *Johanna*
Do you have a clue which levels they offer?

It was beginners level.
Reply 11
Original post by *Johanna*
Ok thanks :smile: I guess I have to pay for a course then cause I had 7 years of French already. Why is it not for free - damn it ....

Yeah, irritating, isn't it?

I'm currently contemplating German lessons, although the price puts me off. Trying to find out if I can find free lessons!
Reply 12
I'm hoping to take up Russian :h: Does anyone know if there's a Russian learners society?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending