Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Cheques no longer in use

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    from monday you can no longer use a cheque book to make transaction and can't be used to purchase rail tickets

what do you think, is it fair that no body uses cheque books naylonger or is it better
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I have seen anyone pay for anything like train tickets with cheques
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I myself prefer creditcard, so wouldnt miss them.

Edit : Why am I being negged for not missing them and using a credit card
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01jtiong)
    from monday you can no longer use a cheque book to make transaction and can't be used to purchase rail tickets

what do you think, is it fair that no body uses cheque books naylonger or is it better
    This is not correct. What is being withdrawn is the cheque guarantee system. Someone who accepts a cheque will do so at their own risk and not that of the bank that issued the cheque.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01jtiong)

What?

So checkbooks are mute?

Either it's true or you need to reword your post there, because the way you phrased it says that they can't be used for transactions AND buying train tickets.

EDIT: Just saw post above mine
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    No one uses cheques anymore..makes perfect sense
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheques will still be used. How would people make transactions? They're not going to link up their bank accounts to each other and do it online, and I hardly think people will withdraw cash in huge amounts. Your title needs changing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I still use cheques when paying for bills via the post. How else do I pay?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    There were 1.1 billion cheques used last year in the UK and they weren't all sent by Grannies in birthday cards.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're not withdrawing the use of cheques (although there is a timeline set out for it - I believe it ends in around 2018).

Cheque guarantee systems are being phased out, which is typically using your credit/debit card information to make a cheque payment which your bank won't then stop.

I personally use cheques a lot for society payments. It's much easier to collect a cheque from 30 DofE participants and hand them back if the expedition can't go ahead; than it is to take hundreds or thousands of pounds in cash, walk to the Treasury and hand it in, then fill out 30 forms to have it refunded, and people have to make their own way to the Treasury to collect it.

I also pay my rent with cheques, as the estate agents don't accept card payments, I'd rather not carry over a thousand pounds in cash, and their Direct Debit payment dates don't coincide with Student Finance payments because they're not a student-aimed agent.

Cheques do have their uses, but I'd say it's largely down to some organisations not taking cards and small organisations running accounts.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    There should be some allowance in rural areas for places without banks and perhaps for small businesses where payment machines would be very expensive.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wrote a cheque today, and put 3 into my bank account yesterday. I don't why they need to be replaced.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    They're not withdrawing the use of cheques (although there is a timeline set out for it - I believe it ends in around 2018).
    This is currently on hold until banks come up with an alternative.

When continentals say they never use cheques, what is overlooked is that they use giro payments. A real giro isn't something paid to someone on the dole. It is the reverse of a cheque but fulfils the same function.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    There were 1.1 billion cheques used last year in the UK and they weren't all sent by Grannies in birthday cards.
    There are still easier, alternative ways of payment and they've been withdrawn in many large stores such as M&S..
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are still easier, alternative ways of payment and they've been withdrawn in many large stores such as M&S..
    You are visiting an antiques fair and take a fancy to a Victorian whatnot. How do you pay?

You wish to pay this year's subscription (which was different to last year's subscription) to the Society for Pedantry whose secretary is man in Dunoon. How do you pay?

You wish to send 10 pounds to your 10 year old Godson in Penzance for Christmas. How do you pay?

How do you pay the jobbing plumbing who fixes the leak in your bathroom?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2011
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.