The Student Room Group

Just passed test- why is my cheapest insurance quote £5800

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by equality.
how old are you? your gender/ male? female? location location?

I'm 18, male in Liverpool. Could this be why it's so expensive?
Reply 21
Original post by JC.
Try insuring something other than a hateful little econo box and maybe you'll get something more reasonable?

What do you have in mind? My rough budget is £5k which will include insurance.
Reply 22
like you basically said you don't even have enough confidence in your driving ability. ... do pass plus instead of driving with little confidence endangering other drivers like me
I have a Ford KA and passed my test last year when I was 17. I looked on Go Compare and found 3 quotes for £800 just after I passed. Mind I'm a girl so if your not it'll be higher. This year went back to Go Compare, changed insurers and now have a quote for £550.

Also put your parents on your insurance, it actually brings it down. Mine never drive my car but without them on the insurace it goes up by £200! Crazy!!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by tnajamie
like you basically said you don't even have enough confidence in your driving ability. ... do pass plus instead of driving with little confidence endangering other drivers like me

My driving ability in the conditions which I will be driving in will be fine, however I will definitely have to gain more experience before driving in the night and on motorways.
Reply 25
Original post by AlexIsMyHero
I have a Ford KA and passed my test last year when I was 17. I looked on Go Compare and found 3 quotes for £800 just after I passed. Mind I'm a girl so if your not it'll be higher. This year went back to Go Compare, changed insurers and now have a quote for £550.

Also put your parents on your insurance, it actually brings it down. Mine never drive my car but without them on the insurace it goes up by £200! Crazy!!!!

I'll have a look on gocompare now and i'll paste the quote once i've done it.
Reply 26
Original post by AlexIsMyHero

Original post by thowden

That is actually riddiculas! I have no idea why yours is so high! Maybe contact them directly, say you have a lower quote from somewhere else and they MAY try to match it or quote lower. My friend did that and it worked for her.
Reply 28
Original post by Fusilero
Have you done the pass plus course? :holmes:

That helps with the insurance costs, £150 for 6 hours of post-test driving.

Pass plus knocks about £300 quid off, TOPS.
Reply 29
Original post by thowden
I'm 18, male in Liverpool. Could this be why it's so expensive?

Yes. it will be mainly because of your location. I live in Skelmersdale, near Liverpool and as a 19yr old male on a 1.0 litre corsa, clio something small like that I'm looking at £5,000 for third party fire and theft. when I first passed it was at £3,000 but after the 40% increase it went up an extra £2,500

Liverpool can be very expensive for car insurance for our age and gender as well as Manchester. :frown: Some young people aged 17 + who live in rural areas with less crime are paying about £1,200 fully comp on 1.6's and that. it really depends mostly on your postcode area.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30

Original post by tufc
Pass plus knocks about £300 quid off, TOPS.

Sometimes it doesn't knock anything off at all. not worth doing in my opinion
Reply 31
Original post by thowden
My driving ability in the conditions which I will be driving in will be fine, however I will definitely have to gain more experience before driving in the night and on motorways.

my top tip for you then is the bell accelerator policy - 10 months for 1 year ncb
I know it's not perfect, but if you are insured as a named driver it is considerably cheaper,
if you have a a garage, note that this will be where you will store the car overnight.
GO for 3rd party fire and theft. Let's face it, your car isn't exactly valuable and easily replaceable without the hassle of raising your premium.
Toy around with the excess also and the annual mileage.
Also if worst comes to worst, a group 1 car is best to purchase, e.g VW Fox, Citroen C1, Toyota Aygo (I drive an Aygo :wink: )
Reply 33
my top tip for you then is the bell accelerator policy - 10 months for 1 year ncb

Aviva do 9 months for 1 year ncb, free upgrade to comprehensive insurance from 3rd party and free additional driver. All for £5800- my cheapest so far. I keep on looking but I can't find anything reasonable or affordable. :frown:

I'm going to uni in september, have no external financial income and after taking insurance out and buying the car, mot, tax and petrol i'll more or less be skint. :s-smilie: I have a job but it's no where near going to pay for all this. :confused:
Reply 34
Original post by thowden
Aviva do 9 months for 1 year ncb, free upgrade to comprehensive insurance from 3rd party and free additional driver. All for £5800- my cheapest so far. I keep on looking but I can't find anything reasonable or affordable. :frown:

I'm going to uni in september, have no external financial income and after taking insurance out and buying the car, mot, tax and petrol i'll more or less be skint. :s-smilie: I have a job but it's no where near going to pay for all this. :confused:

trust me try bell!!!!
Original post by ConnorB
I know it's not perfect, but if you are insured as a named driver it is considerably cheaper,
if you have a a garage, note that this will be where you will store the car overnight.
GO for 3rd party fire and theft. Let's face it, your car isn't exactly valuable and easily replaceable without the hassle of raising your premium.
Toy around with the excess also and the annual mileage.
Also if worst comes to worst, a group 1 car is best to purchase, e.g VW Fox, Citroen C1, Toyota Aygo (I drive an Aygo :wink: )

Whats the insurance like for your car? I've been looking at Aygo's and still get quoted over 5k for insurance
That's the beauty of newly-qualified driver insurance.
Reply 37
trust me try bell!!!!

I've just spoken to bell on the phone, and they have quoted me that they can't quote me as it's gone above their maximum price :angry:
If you live in a high risk area, such as parts of Liverpool, then insurance is so high as to be prohibitively expensive. The reason that insurance companies charge so much in these areas is high levels of crime, insurance fraud and driving without insurance (so if you're involved in a no-fault accident the other party is likely to be uninsured).

What is your postcode? http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/car-insurance-explained/car-insurance-postcode-risk-list.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by thowden
What do you have in mind? My rough budget is £5k which will include insurance.

Mid sized saloons or estate cars would be a good starting point.
They will be cheaper since not many folk your age go for that sort of thing.

Failing that, classic cars are worth a look if you are prepared to get your hands dirty.

-JC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending