The Student Room Group

Misinformed by student finance

I will be going into my second year at Sheffield Hallam and it has only just been made clear to me that I won't be receiving a tuition fee loan or maintenance grant for this coming year. Only £4900 of maintenance loan (which I suppose is better than nothing).

I was at the University of Glasgow previously for 2 years but had to drop out in March of my second year due to medical reasons, therefore repaying a portion of my grant at that time. Last year I chose to return to uni having been told by student finance I would receive the full amount of funding every year of my new course if I provided a doctors note as evidence. I was under the impression that you were allowed one year extra funding from student finance and then because of my doctors note my failed 2nd year would not be counted in this.

The person I spoke to today however has told me this wasn't true and all the advice I'd had up until this point had been incorrect. If I had received the correct
advice originally I would have budgeted for this coming year which is why I'm now so angry! They admit that I probably did receive the wrong advice and the people responsible will be disciplined... what good is that to me!? They won't even allow me to switch the year I don't receive funding allowing me to save for that year.

Another thing that puzzles me is that I know someone who broke their leg in their first year so re sat the whole year and then failed that year, having received 2 years of funding. He is now on another course having finished 2nd year with full funding.

There is no way I can now afford to pay my tuition fees for 2011/12 unless I look else where. Does anyone know of any loans or grants that I could apply for?

I hope this will at least help others in avoiding the situation I now find myself in. I plan to appeal. Does anyone have any good advice for going through the appeals system?

Reply 1
Go to the papers. They'll love this sort of story.

It doesn't help you that much, but at least you can vent.
Reply 2
I agree with the above. Become a glamor girl and shag everyone and anyone who is famous and sell the stories and make sex tapes. Or better yet if you're ugly just make up stories to magazines like 'love it'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Haha I think at 22 I might be a little old for the glamour girl life style!

Thanks for the suggestion though... I'd definitely aim for messing up the lives of as many conservative and libdem MPs! I hate this Goverment! Education is the only thing this country has going for it...
Reply 4
Venting is just what I need. I'll write to a newspaper.
Original post by JxCxC
Haha I think at 22 I might be a little old for the glamour girl life style!

Thanks for the suggestion though... I'd definitely aim for messing up the lives of as many conservative and libdem MPs! I hate this Goverment! Education is the only thing this country has going for it...

the rules you have fallen foul of were set up under Labour if you want to politicise your dilemma!
Reply 6
Original post by hypocriticaljap
the rules you have fallen foul of were set up under Labour if you want to politicise your dilemma!

I'm not convinced...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/jun/07/student-loan-demand-may-force-cuts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending