The Student Room Group

Why are Alevels deemed academic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Instincts_2012
Are your A-Level deemed academic?

Well let's all see what ImSoAcademic has to say about this.

She hasn't even taken her GCSEs yet man, but she's already got

"UCAS 2014 : Clare College, Cambridge"

in her sig :rolleyes:

How I'd laugh if she got an Oxbridge rejection.
In response to the OP:

Most A-Levels are academic...

Some people are on a bit of a high horse about them, admittedly, but not everyone. Usually the people who say "I do subjects X, Y and Z. Clearly, they're harder than subjects A, B and C that you do, therefore I am better than you."

Often these people have never taken the subjects they assume are easy. Unfortunately, some subjects have such ridiculously low grade boundaries that the material is actually hard, but the quality of student taking those subjects brings the grade boundaries down.

Business studies for example, I'm sure 45/80 was an A in one recent unit, maybe BUSS3. That to me sounds like the content is hard, but the students taking the subjects clearly aren't performing well enough in exams.

I don't think art subjects are academic in the traditional sense, but that doesn't mean they're easy, or that people who take them aren't intelligent. There are obviously various types of intelligence, analytical, logical, mathematical, artistic, musical, interpersonal, social and so on.
Reply 42
Original post by rei dos reis
Yes A Levels should assess you as a person so you could get better grades. I am not arrogant, you were the one going on about work ethic.

Just because some artists are intellectuals it doesn't mean that art requires outstanding intellect, at least that's what I think the point of your essay was.

Don't be so pedantic, and yes you're arrogant. I know it doesn't require it, but the fact is a lot of artists are extremely intellectual thinkers.
Why are a-levels consided academic? Because the exams test you on the content you learnt and you have to learn it. Sure, some people cram as a revision method. But that is about assessing how much time and effort you should put as it takes different people different amounts. The tests are spread out over the course so people have to work throughout your course.

So, what is your solution to make a-level more intelligence testing? Coursework? That is basically adapting a skill into context. When I did my geography GSCE, people in thrid set were getting a*s. Coursework doesn`t measure intelligence, anyone who focuses, applies themselves and pays attention can do coursework.

Equivilents to a-levels are not as respected. The most respected careers need a-levels. People who do a-levels are usually the more academic types so a-levels are academic.

To get high a-level grades, you need to be smart enough to learn, understand and apply knowledge as well as revise independantly. To do this, you have to be intelligent and hard working so a-level do test intelligence. Also, a-level are easy and studies show they are getting easier. Why complain? Work hard and get good grades that will help you get a job.
Original post by elitepower
Why are a-levels consided academic? Because the exams test you on the content you learnt and you have to learn it. Sure, some people cram as a revision method. But that is about assessing how much time and effort you should put as it takes different people different amounts. The tests are spread out over the course so people have to work throughout your course.

So, what is your solution to make a-level more intelligence testing? Coursework? That is basically adapting a skill into context. When I did my geography GSCE, people in thrid set were getting a*s. Coursework doesn`t measure intelligence, anyone who focuses, applies themselves and pays attention can do coursework.

Equivilents to a-levels are not as respected. The most respected careers need a-levels. People who do a-levels are usually the more academic types so a-levels are academic.

To get high a-level grades, you need to be smart enough to learn, understand and apply knowledge as well as revise independantly. To do this, you have to be intelligent and hard working so a-level do test intelligence. Also, a-level are easy and studies show they are getting easier. Why complain? Work hard and get good grades that will help you get a job.

...on what basis?

The only thing that has changed is the structure, from one exam to modular.

Which is in all honesty, a change for the better. A-Levels in the old format were a memory test, nothing more.
Original post by ilickbatteries
...on what basis?

The only thing that has changed is the structure, from one exam to modular.

Which is in all honesty, a change for the better. A-Levels in the old format were a memory test, nothing more.

They got students who had just sat their A-levels to sit the exam, same subject and syllabus, from 20 years ago. Students who achieved A*s only recently got Z`s. Therefore the exams are getting easier. It was on channel 4 news.
Reply 46
Well, are the French very fond of their children?
Original post by Krydel
Well, are the French very fond of their children?

Lol, that line is criminal but legendary. Did you see Karen`s reaction? It was soo funny
Original post by Nashy19
Because A-Levels are about non-practical education.
Academic isn't a glory title.

I don't think you've met 'I'm So Academic' yet have you? :biggrin:
Original post by elitepower
They got students who had just sat their A-levels to sit the exam, same subject and syllabus, from 20 years ago. Students who achieved A*s only recently got Z`s. Therefore the exams are getting easier. It was on channel 4 news.

Same subject and syllabus, from 20 years ago?

What subject?

That's one example, one study. There are plenty of claims to the contrary. Of course, like I said, the modular nature of the exams does make things somewhat easier, as does the ability to drop subjects from AS at A2.

However, even the sciences have moved on since 1981, A-Level specifications change rather frequently, so I think the claim that 'Students didn't pass A-Level exams from 1981' is a strange one to make.

The content of A-Levels is not easier, how we take the exams, undeniably is so.

What is a 'Z' grade, by the way? I thought you'd made a typo but the only letters close to Z are A, S and X
(edited 12 years ago)
Don't sit there and say that sciences have no application of knowledge and only require textbook regurgitation unless you've done them yourself. I've only done Chemistry and Physics, not Biology and neither have just been regurgitation, otherwise I think I would easily get an A* with the amount of time I spent on them..
Reply 51
Original post by ladymary
No i was not implying that science alevels can be achieved on little work, but the majority of science subjects are very textbook led, which leads me to question the amount that students get to apply their own knowledge and develop their understanding in those subjects. Rather than a simple correct or incorrect answer maybe more emphasis could be made on interpretation and questioning the understanding and application of knowledge better (i'm not saying they dont do this at all but it could be improved).

You sit an a2 edexcel physics paper and then tell me about textbook let and 'regurgitating masses of information'. Not a one thing on those papers are directly from the textbook - you have to mould whatever you do know to apply it to an example you've probably never imagined!
Reply 52
thank goodness for the such thing as 'revising' as without it Iwouldnt have got As. I did A Levels in Chemistry, Biology, Home Ec, Health and Social, Music and Business Studies and got BBAAC and Pending for Business.
Reply 53
oh and I was 1 point of an A in one of those which I deem as poor luck.
Reply 54
I studied Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Eng Lit (dropped after AS) and I can tell you that regurgitating the chemistry book in an exam will get you a U...the exams tend to draw on previously studied topics e.g from AS and you have to think about it logically before you answer. OCR biology on the other hand is the worst subject I did mainly because the questions were mostly ambigous and so most of my time was spent figuring out what they wanted rather than actually answering the questions. Psychology at AS wasn't a big deal got full ums marks on both papers however at A2 it's a different ball game as it's essay based and no you can't just wing it an examiner can tell you don't understand what you're doing at it won't be coherent. And Eng Lit, well to pass you have to demonstrate knowlegde and understanding as the examiners won't just give you top marks for notting. All in all if you haven't studied the subject you can't comment!

Quick Reply

Latest