Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

F1 2011 title fight over???

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's looking that way isn't it. Unless Vettel has a few absolutely shocking races I can't see him throwing away the title this year.
    Now that we're reaching the midway point in the season I can see a few teams writing off this year and working on 2012 as well.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I just worked out that Vettel could finish 6th/7th each race from now and end up with more points than he had last year!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Vettel is having a season like Button with Brawn GP. A car that is so advanced that no one could quite believe how quick it is, and how much more it has to give.

An incredible design and I don't see RBR slowing down anytime soon...

Ferrari were definitely caught napping, McLaren were slow, but improving.

I think Vettel is going to run away with it though, just like Button did...without the catch up in the second half of the season!

But that is OK, the scrap for the lower places is still interesting between Web, MSC, Ham, But, Alo, Ros, so it is all good!
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree in that i think Vettel has the championship unless he gets a few DNF's.

Looking back at the first post Schumacheur era..

2007: Raikkonen wins with 6 victories
    2008: Hamilton won with 5 (Massa would have won with 6 had 'glock' not braked late for Hamilton) (also if you ever want to hear a crowd, last lap of Brazil 08 when Massa won, ave never heard anything like it)
    2009: Button wins with 6 despite not winning after race 7
    2010: Vettel wins with 5 (alonso also had 5)

As you can see, history tells us that 6 is what is needed in the modern F1 environment. Vettel will be the double world champion.

Hoping for a Massa win in Silverstone, he was really screwed over by Ferrari in Valencia.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    2008: Hamilton won with 5 (Massa would have won with 6 had 'glock' not braked late for Hamilton) (also if you ever want to hear a crowd, last lap of Brazil 08 when Massa won, ave never heard anything like it)
    At the time I watched I remember leaping with joy when Lewis won, but now I look at it, I feel sorry for Massa now. I guess it was his first and only real chance to get the title.

I guess in the eyes of many, Massa would always be the more worthy champ of 08.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davethedavedave)
    At the time I watched I remember leaping with joy when Lewis won, but now I look at it, I feel sorry for Massa now. I guess it was his first and only real chance to get the title.

I guess in the eyes of many, Massa would always be the more worthy champ of 08.
    It must be the ultimate disapoitment to win your home race with a 30 second lead and to top it all off become world champion, to find that at the last corner somebody had let Hamilton through.

Ultimately i would like to be quite angry about it however you do get races where the top cars qualify near the back and some drivers choose to let them through on the grounds that they are not fighting the same race. I am sure that Massa has been let through in that way a few times. It was also unreliability that cost Ferrari, there was one race where he was about a minute ahead and had engine failure 3 laps from the end.

In regards to his future i think that you are correct. Massa is fantastic and very tallented but does not have as much mental strength as some of the other drivers (demotivated at times). On the other hand, he has not really had an equal say at Ferrari over the past 2 seasons (not allowed to pit before Alonso in Valencia which ultimately kept him behind Hamilton) and Germany and Monza last year (told to let Alonso through in Germany)(said in a post race interveiw after Italy that he could have quite easily jumped Alonso and Button at the pit stops).

Sadly, i think that he will be gone in 2013 unless he replaces Button or Webber (it would be sad to go for a mid field team).

Still, at least he has looked good the last 3 races.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    It must be the ultimate disapoitment to win your home race with a 30 second lead and to top it all off become world champion, to find that at the last corner somebody had let Hamilton through.
    :lolwut:

He was on cold slick tyres on a track that was only getting wetter. It wasn't so much of a decision to let Lewis pass... he didn't have any way of stopping him getting pass.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think the only realistic way this drivers' championship can possibly stay alive is if it is to rain for every single race for the rest of the season. button driving in wet weather = like a graceful swan swimming....gracefully.

.....or for some of the other drivers of the lesser teams (such as the ones that always get lapped - lotus, hrt, virgin) to drive into vettel's car ;D self-sacrifice for the sake of the championship to stay interesting ;D

either way, vettel finishing pole in almost every qualifying and race day is boring already ;/
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)

He was on cold slick tyres on a track that was only getting wetter. It wasn't so much of a decision to let Lewis pass... he didn't have any way of stopping him getting pass.
    You could always crash into him
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:

I watched the race, the replays and Glocks comments since. He let Hamilton through.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    I watched the race, the replays and Glocks comments since. He let Hamilton through.
    Still remember the ferrari guy who got a bit aggressive lol
    I just about managed to stop myself from crying on that day tho
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    As much as I like lewis I still despise Glock for that. Untalented waste of space.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l)
    Still remember the ferrari guy who got a bit aggressive lol
    I just about managed to stop myself from crying on that day tho
    lol the guy from the pit crew who smashed the glass wall thingy? :rofl: hilarious!
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenomorph v2.1)
    lol the guy from the pit crew who smashed the glass wall thingy? :rofl: hilarious!
    Not f*cking hilarious at the time if you were supporting ferrari and massa.
    I was pissed off with glock and hamilton thinking of how I'd kill 'em :mad:
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's with the Glock hate here? He's a bloody good driver....

There's still no way he could have safely stopped Hamilton passing. Not a chance. Call it what you will, but he had very, very little choice in the matter.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What's with the Glock hate here? He's a bloody good driver....

There's still no way he could have safely stopped Hamilton passing. Not a chance. Call it what you will, but he had very, very little choice in the matter.
    Agreed.

The only reason he was ahead of Hamilton in the first place was because he didn't pit like everybody else and stayed on slicks.

So he was already taking a gamble and shouldn't really have been up in 5th place.

Either way Hamilton would have been champion. If Glock had pitted Hamilton would have been in position. If Glock hadn't pitted and stayed on slicks he was too slow to keep position from Hamilton.

Either way he would've won.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenomorph v2.1)
    Agreed.

The only reason he was ahead of Hamilton in the first place was because he didn't pit like everybody else and stayed on slicks.

So he was already taking a gamble and shouldn't really have been up in 5th place.

Either way Hamilton would have been champion. If Glock had pitted Hamilton would have been in position. If Glock hadn't pitted and stayed on slicks he was too slow to keep position from Hamilton.

Either way he would've won.

Nobody knows for sure what would have happened, but what did happen was Glock let Lewis past.

Also I dont rate Glock at all, he came in F1 racing for Jordan, got some points by shear luck. Then came back a few years later with Toyota had very limit success and has since declined. Now his career is coming to an end at virgin, it is time for him to make way for someone else to some success.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davethedavedave)
    Nobody knows for sure what would have happened, but what did happen was Glock let Lewis past.

Also I dont rate Glock at all, he came in F1 racing for Jordan, got some points by shear luck. Then came back a few years later with Toyota had very limit success and has since declined. Now his career is coming to an end at virgin, it is time for him to make way for someone else to some success.
    The post race analysis showed that no matter what Glock had done, he wasn't staying ahead of Hamilton. You're just lying to yourself if you think any different. Anyone who looks at track position and lap times shows that. The top drivers had to react to each other pitting for dry tyres, Toyota gambled on slicks lasting and they nearly did. I honestly can't believe people still think its some kind of conspiracy.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    The post race analysis showed that no matter what Glock had done, he wasn't staying ahead of Hamilton. You're just lying to yourself if you think any different. Anyone who looks at track position and lap times shows that. The top drivers had to react to each other pitting for dry tyres, Toyota gambled on slicks lasting and they nearly did. I honestly can't believe people still think its some kind of conspiracy.
    Had there been a few more laps then i agree however when you watch the footage you will see that Glock makes no attempt to defend the position at all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can you guys possibly think that glock had a chance to defend his position with slicks tyres on wet track :facepalm2: :facepalm2:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 7, 2011
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered motorsport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.