The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

yes, we linguists should stick together, im a hopeful applicant for french and ab initio arabic for 2012!! anyone else applying for ab initio arabic?
I know it means beginner but what does an initio stand for??
Original post by BeccaCath94
I know it means beginner but what does an initio stand for??

Ab initio is latin, literally means from start.

I've been going through tons of uni prospectuses and websites and have been making a spreadsheet. If anyone wants to see it, I'd be happy to share. Basically, my interest is in 18th and 19th century literature: no film or modern history for me, thanks. Hence Bath being out :frown: compulsory module on German post-1945 history, ewww...
Reply 23
Original post by such_a_lady
Ab initio is latin, literally means from start.

I've been going through tons of uni prospectuses and websites and have been making a spreadsheet. If anyone wants to see it, I'd be happy to share. Basically, my interest is in 18th and 19th century literature: no film or modern history for me, thanks. Hence Bath being out :frown: compulsory module on German post-1945 history, ewww...

That would be great, could you possibly send it to me?
Original post by lilGem
Thank you, it's a great summary :biggrin:

Please don't take my rantings too seriously :tongue:
Reply 27

this is actually really helpful! :biggrin:

LOL we have exact opposite interests - I hate literature but love history, but it's a shame Bath doesn't offer French and ab initio German :frown:

Yes this is actually v good :biggrin:
Also liking the prettiness rating!! haha
What course were you looking at - entry req./notes...?
Original post by BeccaCath94
Yes this is actually v good :biggrin:
Also liking the prettiness rating!! haha
What course were you looking at - entry req./notes...?

RR24, German and Spanish. NOT "with Spanish", thanks Warwick. The number of top unis which don't offer German! What's wrong with you!?
RR24, German and Spanish. NOT "with Spanish", thanks Warwick. The number of top unis which don't offer German! What's wrong with you!?

Oh i see...
I know!!!
For my course, German and/with Maths joint honours, there are only like 10 unis to choose from... :frown:
I think I'll be applying for French and German, probably at UCL, Durham, King's, Bristol and somewhere else, which I haven't decided on. I reallly wanted to apply to Oxford, but I'm pretty sure that I haven't got an A in German, which rules it out, sadly. Anyone else really want a course with high literature content?
Reply 32
I would like to apply for French and International Relations/Politics, but hopefully picking up German too :smile:

I do French and Spanish (which I've just started) at school and am looking at St Andrews, Edinburgh, Heriot Watt and a few others as potential universities :smile:
Reply 33
What sort of modules are you guys interested in? I'm more into gender studies, film and politics but slightly less interested in literature.
Original post by TheatreLovely
I think I'll be applying for French and German, probably at UCL, Durham, King's, Bristol and somewhere else, which I haven't decided on. I reallly wanted to apply to Oxford, but I'm pretty sure that I haven't got an A in German, which rules it out, sadly. Anyone else really want a course with high literature content?

ME! ME! ME! Hence the spreadsheet...:colonhash:
Reply 35
Original post by Pi!
What sort of modules are you guys interested in? I'm more into gender studies, film and politics but slightly less interested in literature.

politics + history :love:

if I wasn't applying for modern languages, I would definitely be a history applicant :smile:
Original post by Pi!

I dont like the political side. Hisrory of germany is quite interesting but im more into the culture... :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Pi!

I like the sociolinguistic elements, but since starting the RBE I've become more interested in the cultural aspects. I am partial to the literature as well :smile:
ME! ME! ME! Hence the spreadsheet...:colonhash:

I just looked at your spreadsheet, and I love it! (You seem to have somehow summarised my exact feelings on many occasions...)
Also, could I ask how much literature you've already read, because I feel like I've read practically nothing? Thanks!
Reply 39
Meeeeee! French & Russian ab initio at (hopefully) either Durham, Cambridge or St Andrew's :smile:

My school's already started us on personal statements and it's finally hitting me that applications are creeping closer, good luck on theirs everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest