The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OddThings
Anyone applying to Heriot Watt?

Yess!! :biggrin:
It'll be my insurance choice as its only BBB for my course but i'll still apply :smile:
Are you?
Im going to the open day on 22nd october :smile:
Original post by BeccaCath94
Yess!! :biggrin:
It'll be my insurance choice as its only BBB for my course but i'll still apply :smile:
Are you?
Im going to the open day on 22nd october :smile:

I am,my course wants AAAB though.
Almost finished personal statement! Pretty happy with how it's turned out so far. :smile: I can't wait for it to be sent off though, as it'll be one weight lifted off my shoulders.

College are currently trying to persuade me to apply to Oxford, but I'm leaning against applying at the moment. I doubt I'd have much chance! I do want a high risk choice though, but may end up going with Durham or UCL instead.. Not sure. :/
Reply 963
Original post by SimplyComplex
Almost finished personal statement! Pretty happy with how it's turned out so far. :smile: I can't wait for it to be sent off though, as it'll be one weight lifted off my shoulders.

College are currently trying to persuade me to apply to Oxford, but I'm leaning against applying at the moment. I doubt I'd have much chance! I do want a high risk choice though, but may end up going with Durham or UCL instead.. Not sure. :/

I think you have a great chance, your AS grades and predicted A2 grades are outstanding. UCL is my high risk university. I'm sure you'll be fine, plus you haven't decided your 5th option so take the dip :biggrin:
Reply 964
Original post by Banoffeepie16
I'm pretty sure that's such_a_lady's amazing spreadsheet you're looking for :smile: I just tried to find it with no avail.

I can post my spreadsheet here in the meantime?

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=84c80bedef3ad0c6&Bsrc=Docmail&Bpub=SDX.Docs&id=84C80BEDEF3AD0C6%21150#!/view.aspx?cid=84C80BEDEF3AD0C6&resid=84C80BEDEF3AD0C6%21151

NB: These are only my personal opinions/impressions of the Unis I visited, I do not intend to offend anyone by saying I don't link a Uni they do; we all have different course preferences :smile:

Thanks very much for that! Another question for anyone, can anybody tell me how literature based french and spanish courses are at Edinburgh and Stirling unis?
Reply 965
Random question, but who are your favourite singers in the languages you're going to study? :smile:
Reply 966
Anyone else for German? :tongue:
Original post by Lewis :D
Random question, but who are your favourite singers in the languages you're going to study? :smile:

Spanish: Reik & Carlos Baute :love:
French: BB Brunes :cool:

NENA! Guess which language I'm doing... ASP is good too.
Reply 969

French: Cœur de Pirate [singer] & Karkwa [band]

German: [don't laugh] Tokio Hotel :love: (they are the reason why I was interested in German in the first place :P)
Reply 970
Original post by Banoffeepie16
Spanish: Reik & Carlos Baute :love:
French: BB Brunes :cool:

Original post by .snowflake.
NENA! Guess which language I'm doing... ASP is good too.

Original post by -raisa
French: Cœur de Pirate [singer] & Karkwa [band]

German: [don't laugh] Tokio Hotel :love: (they are the reason why I was interested in German in the first place :P)

The bolded ones are the ones I know of, i'll check out the rest later. I've been looking for decent French music for ages, it's so difficult compared to finding Spanish music. And Raisa, liking Tokio Hotel is nothing to be ashamed of, they're incredibly popular in continental Europe :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by OddThings
I am,my course wants AAAB though.

Ahhh...good luck :biggrin:
Original post by JakeE10
Anyone else for German? :tongue:

Meeeee :biggrin:
Hi,
Just seen your ASs and I got a B in eng lang and a C in economics too!!!! But i also got a C in german so im resitting that and an A in maths :biggrin:
Did you only do 3 ASs?

I think im going to apply to leeds too :smile: I'll go to the open day and see....
But i really want to go to lancaster!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Good luck!
The bolded ones are the ones I know of, i'll check out the rest later. I've been looking for decent French music for ages, it's so difficult compared to finding Spanish music. And Raisa, liking Tokio Hotel is nothing to be ashamed of, they're incredibly popular in continental Europe :biggrin:

You don't know Nena! 99 red balloons??
Reply 974

really?

I always assumed they were the European equivalent of the Jonas Brothers or something :colondollar:

& if you're looking for decent French music, I can give you a list of Quebecois singers/bands, if you're interested :smile:
Reply 975
Original post by .snowflake.
You don't know Nena! 99 red balloons??

I do! I edited my post :biggrin:
Reply 976
Original post by -raisa
really?

I always assumed they were the European equivalent of the Jonas Brothers or something :colondollar:

& if you're looking for decent French music, I can give you a list of Quebecois singers/bands, if you're interested :smile:

To be honest I don't really know, I just know their really popular from their EMA performances and awards! They're not too mainstream in the UK I don't think, I've never heard of anyone laugh at someone for liking them though!

Oh, yeah please, I'm very interested in Québec. The only ones I know of are Céline Dion and Mitsou (she replied to me on twitter the other day helping me with my French homework!)
Reply 977
To be honest I don't really know, I just know their really popular from their EMA performances and awards! They're not too mainstream in the UK I don't think, I've never heard of anyone laugh at someone for liking them though!

Oh, yeah please, I'm very interested in Québec. The only ones I know of are Céline Dion and Mitsou (she replied to me on twitter the other day helping me with my French homework!)

that's good to know! I've just always had the impression that all their fans are hormonal 13 year olds xD

& Here's some of my favourite Quebecois bands/groups :smile:

Radio Radio

Les Trois Accords

Vugaires Machins

Karkwa :love:

Malajube

Les Colocs

+ Karkwa is my absolute favourite Quebecois band <3
Reply 978
Original post by -raisa
that's good to know! I've just always had the impression that all their fans are hormonal 13 year olds xD

&amp; Here's some of my favourite Quebecois bands/groups :smile:

Radio Radio

Les Trois Accords

Vugaires Machins

Karkwa :love:

Malajube

Les Colocs

+ Karkwa is my absolute favourite Quebecois band &lt;3

Merci beacoup. I'll check them out later. Are you from Quebec? Or are you an English-speaking Canadian? :smile:
Also, do they teach German in Canada? :redface:
Reply 979
Merci beacoup. I'll check them out later. Are you from Quebec? Or are you an English-speaking Canadian? :smile:
Also, do they teach German in Canada? :redface:

English-speaking Canadian :biggrin:

but I stayed with a host family in Quebec for a month this summer, and got introduced to the amazing-ness that is Quebecois music :smile:

& no, they don't really teach German in Canada :frown: some schools do, but most (like mine) don't. the only foreign languages most Canadian schools offer are french & spanish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending