The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VickyDoodle
Wow, that's amazing for 38 days work :biggrin: I still can't read my kana easily after a few months of trying!

You should do this daily for a couple of days like I did, there's a katakana version too. When you can do them both within two minutes I think you're at a good stage. Now I just do it every now and then as a refresher. :smile:

I found it really helpful! I can visualise what hiragana looks like in my head quite easily now, I find it difficult to picture katakana in my head but when I see it on paper I can understand it, 's all about time and repetition. Do you use Anki by any chance? I can't recommend that program enough!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1041
Original post by JakeE10
and also... what sorts of things are all you languages applicants talking about in your personal statements? as i've not really done any extra curricular activities which relate to german?!?!

Is it good to talk about personal experience of the countries culture/lifestyle etc from visits to germany/other german speaking countries?!

Thanks if you could help! :biggrin:

hey!

I'm a German ab initio applicant & I don't really have any extracurriculars related to German either. I talked about German books I've read & films I've seen (both in English, of course!).

& I also mentioned my visit to Zurich (I have relatives there!).
Wow, that's amazing for 38 days work :biggrin: I still can't read my kana easily after a few months of trying!

I've talked about.. my Reader Leader mentoring, where I helped a year 7 with a different mother tongue with his reading, trips to Spain, an exchange we're doing, Spanish and Japanese music, and even crewing at an anime convention to "look at some aspects of the culture". x3

Ahh cool! yeah I'm just going to talk about trips to Germany and other german speaking countries (switzerland, austria and liechtenstein) ive been to them all :tongue:, films, and maybe about a few festival thingies i went to in germany, don't know what else yet :smile:

Where are you applying?!
Original post by -raisa
hey!

I'm a German ab initio applicant & I don't really have any extracurriculars related to German either. I talked about German books I've read & films I've seen (both in English, of course!).

Are you only applying to 4 unis?
Reply 1044
Original post by Lewis :D
Are you only applying to 4 unis?

I haven't decided on a 5th choice yet.

& that's 4 unis for the UK - I still have 3 backup unis in Canada that I'm applying to, just in case :smile:
Original post by -raisa
hey!

Ahhh cool!!
NO WAY! I have my sister in Switzerland too! an hour away from Zurich, I was in Zurich last month :wink:
Reply 1046
Original post by JakeE10
Ahhh cool!!
NO WAY! I have my sister in Switzerland too! an hour away from Zurich, I was in Zurich last month :wink:

My aunt, uncle + cousins live about 30 minutes outside of Zurich. I was there for a month last summer and I had the most amazing time ever <3

(unfortunately, everyone spoke Swiss German, and I had no idea what they were saying)
Original post by -raisa
My aunt, uncle + cousins live about 30 minutes outside of Zurich. I was there for a month last summer and I had the most amazing time ever <3

(unfortunately, everyone spoke Swiss German, and I had no idea what they were saying)

ah cool, which way from zurich? My sister lives right on the border of Austria and Liechtenstein, so it's about an hour north east of Zurich. I was there for a month this summer too, was so good! Love switzerland, and Zurich is sooo cool :biggrin:

Yeah I get that problem too don't worry, it's like a different langauge!! haha
Bristol are currently reviewing their entry requirements for Modern Languages 'in light of the higher education reforms'. Hopefully they'll actually be offering a decent number of contact hours now? :biggrin:
Original post by Not a Zergling
You should do this daily for a couple of days like I did, there's a katakana version too. When you can do them both within two minutes I think you're at a good stage. Now I just do it every now and then as a refresher. :smile:

I found it really helpful! I can visualise what hiragana looks like in my head quite easily now, I find it difficult to picture katakana in my head but when I see it on paper I can understand it, 's all about time and repetition. Do you use Anki by any chance? I can't recommend that program enough!

I'll take a look at that,thanks! :biggrin: I've got a book on visualising kana but I admittedly haven't had the time to use it much, and flashcards, which have helped with recognising my hiragana but I can still only do about half.

Original post by JakeE10
Ahh cool! yeah I'm just going to talk about trips to Germany and other german speaking countries (switzerland, austria and liechtenstein) ive been to them all :tongue:, films, and maybe about a few festival thingies i went to in germany, don't know what else yet :smile:

Where are you applying?!

Niice. ^^
Applying to Newcastle,Birmingham,Leeds and UCLAN for sure, need one more though! Yourself?
Niice. ^^
Applying to Newcastle,Birmingham,Leeds and UCLAN for sure, need one more though! Yourself?

Cool!! :biggrin:
I'm applying to Leeds, Reading, Hull and don't know where else yet! Looking at Nottingham as 1st choice but don't know whether it's too risky or not yet! and i've got an open day at Chester next week (for last choice) :biggrin:
Reply 1051
Original post by JakeE10
ah cool, which way from zurich? My sister lives right on the border of Austria and Liechtenstein, so it's about an hour north east of Zurich. I was there for a month this summer too, was so good! Love switzerland, and Zurich is sooo cool :biggrin:

Yeah I get that problem too don't worry, it's like a different langauge!! haha

About 30 minutes north of Zurich - closer to the Germany side. I had dinner in Germany once :biggrin:

haha I was so disappointed when I tried talking to my cousins (ages 4 & 9 and sooooo adorable!) and I had no idea what they were saying.
Original post by JakeE10
Cool!! :biggrin:
I'm applying to Leeds, Reading, Hull and don't know where else yet! Looking at Nottingham as 1st choice but don't know whether it's too risky or not yet! and i've got an open day at Chester next week (for last choice) :biggrin:

Have you seen Leeds? :smile: I haven't managed to get there yet,but it sounds really nice.
If you think you can do it, go ahead and apply! :biggrin: Newcastle is my high-risk choice, but I want to go there so badly I think it might push me to work harder.
Have you seen Leeds? :smile: I haven't managed to get there yet,but it sounds really nice.
If you think you can do it, go ahead and apply! :biggrin: Newcastle is my high-risk choice, but I want to go there so badly I think it might push me to work harder.

No i've not, I'm going to the open day on the 8th! :smile:
Well it's not that risky in terms of Grades. My predicted grades are ABC and the entry requirements at nottingham are ABC/BBB (the same as Leeds) but it's just the fact that it's sooo competitive so i don't really think I stand a chance, I think Leeds is already high risk for me!! i think i'll just stick with 1 high risk choice! :biggrin:

What are your predicted grades and what are the entry requirements for newcastle!?

I really want to go to leeds too, hope i get an offer! :biggrin:
Original post by -raisa
About 30 minutes north of Zurich - closer to the Germany side. I had dinner in Germany once :biggrin:

haha I was so disappointed when I tried talking to my cousins (ages 4 & 9 and sooooo adorable!) and I had no idea what they were saying.

Yes it's a completely different dialect! They have different words for a lot of things aswel!

:biggrin:
I wish UCL or Warwick offered Portuguese :'(
Original post by JakeE10
No i've not, I'm going to the open day on the 8th! :smile:
Well it's not that risky in terms of Grades. My predicted grades are ABC and the entry requirements at nottingham are ABC/BBB (the same as Leeds) but it's just the fact that it's sooo competitive so i don't really think I stand a chance, I think Leeds is already high risk for me!! i think i'll just stick with 1 high risk choice! :biggrin:

What are your predicted grades and what are the entry requirements for newcastle!?

I really want to go to leeds too, hope i get an offer! :biggrin:

I miight see you there, depends if I'm working or not. xD

My predicted grades were (untill last week) ABB Di,maybe AAB, now it's apparently ABC Di, but I'm not getting that C,damnit! Newcastle ask for ABB, but it's an A in Spanish (which my teachers now prediced me B/C for).
I miight see you there, depends if I'm working or not. xD

My predicted grades were (untill last week) ABB Di,maybe AAB, now it's apparently ABC Di, but I'm not getting that C,damnit! Newcastle ask for ABB, but it's an A in Spanish (which my teachers now prediced me B/C for).

Ahhh that's crap! so they've put them down?
What were your AS grades?!
Original post by JakeE10
Ahhh that's crap! so they've put them down?
What were your AS grades?!

They put them down at parents evening, after I was off for a few days and I've been ill for 6 months with post concussion syndrome so far. ><
My AS grades were A - Sociology, B- Spanish and C in Biology, with 8 UMS off an A in Spanish and 1 UMS off a B in Biology, so I'm re-sitting parts of both of those. Then there's the BTEC Performing Arts, so no exams. x3
They put them down at parents evening, after I was off for a few days and I've been ill for 6 months with post concussion syndrome so far. ><
My AS grades were A - Sociology, B- Spanish and C in Biology, with 8 UMS off an A in Spanish and 1 UMS off a B in Biology, so I'm re-sitting parts of both of those. Then there's the BTEC Performing Arts, so no exams. x3

So they should surely be AAB?!
Mine were German - B, English Language - B, Economics - D and a D in Maths which i dropped (Bad i know - but I was lazy and didn't work last year! :rolleyes:) But I was 8 UMS off an A in German and 5 UMS off a C in Economics, so mine are ABC.
Yours should definitely be AAB!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending