The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Hola!

I thought there should be a thread for potential linguists for this upcoming UCAS cycle so we can see how everyone is getting on, course choices and so forth

Best of luck!

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
French and beginner's Italian here!

It's all so exciting! I visited the languages open day in Cambridge a while back, and have since been to King's College London (great French department but no Italian) and Leeds :love:

I might even like Leeds more than Cambridge!

Edit: Haha neg reps! Ahh sorry I'll head over to the Leeds forum
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi Greengables!

another ab-initio Italian!

Leeds university would be perfect :love: I loved it at the open day my friends who are there absolutely adore it

Personally though I could not go to university in London though

:smile:
Thanks for starting this!

Username: such_a_lady
GCSEs: 13 A*s
AS Levels: Maths (A), German, Spanish, Eng Lit, Eng Lang
Course: German and Spanish, RR24
Unis of choice (for now, anyway): Oxford, St Andrew's, Edinburgh, Durham, Bath

I personally believe there are so few linguists around that we should all stick together :biggrin:
Reply 4
I'm currently in a quandary about what I want to study, but as long as I've got good results in it this year then I think I'll definitely be applying for French. :biggrin:
gonna be applying to UEA for french and japanese double honours :biggrin:
I don't really have a back-up uni... I know I should but I do have my heart set on UEA and can't look at any other uni's other than nottingham when I go for a summer school next week :/
Is anyone doing the Language day at Southampton tomorrow?
Reply 7
Hola, todo el mundo. Hoping to do Japanese Studies with Spanish. I might apply for Japanese and Lingustics at some places. I'm planning on applying to:
Sheffield
Manchester
Leeeeeeeeeeeeds
Newcastle
Oxford Brookes (I might not, I haven't heard good things about their Japanese department)
Original post by such_a_lady

GCSEs: 13 A*s

WOW!!! Im sorry but that is just amazing!!!! I only got 2A*s :frown: :frown:
Hey, am a part of the maths applicants thread so am loving the fact theres one for languages as I want to do a course in possibly:
Maths and/with German
or Maths with a year in europe (ie germany!!)
I have only been to one open day so far and loved it - Sheffield!!! :biggrin:
But am also looking at: Lancaster, Leeds (is leeds a good uni for languages everyone seems to like it!!!), Royal Holloway, Heriot-Watt and maybe a few others :smile:
What are good unis for languages that want like AAB-ABB (ie not oxbridge!!!)
Reply 10
Original post by BeccaCath94
What are good unis for languages that want like AAB-ABB (ie not oxbridge!!!)

Warwick, Cardiff, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham? :dontknow:

I don't really know which universities I'd like to apply for. At the moment I suppose Bristol and Cardiff are the ones I like the look of most. I'm visiting both of them this week though, so we'll see if my opinion changes.:tongue:
WOW!!! Im sorry but that is just amazing!!!! I only got 2A*s :frown: :frown:

Yay, thankyou!

Did anyone here come to the Southampton languages day?
Reply 12
*subscribes*

Best of luck to everyone!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
HURRAH!!! Linguists unite! :-)

Hopefully applying for French and Spanish and possibly European Studies, results pending. If I do well enough to feel I could apply to Bath or Edinburgh, I'll definitely apply for European Studies. I'd looked at Southampton, but you can't split your year abroad there. Sad times. :frown:

Definitely following this thread :smile:
Reply 14
linguists ftw :biggrin:

hopeful French and German ab initio [and Russian ab initio?] applicant here (dependent on results, of course).

looking at Cambridge, St. Andrew's and Sheffield for sure, but undecided about the rest of my unis.

I'm an international, so I won't be visiting any unis unfortunately. so any advice on which unis are best for languages is much appreciated :smile:
Original post by -raisa

looking at Cambridge, St. Andrew's and Sheffield for sure, but undecided about the rest of my unis.

I'm an international, so I won't be visiting any unis unfortunately. so any advice on which unis are best for languages is much appreciated :smile:

Sheffield is a v good uni and has a good language department...not been anywhere else yet but... :biggrin:
Reply 16
Sheffield is a v good uni and has a good language department...not been anywhere else yet but... :biggrin:

I love all the languages that Sheffield offers! I would love to take up a third language, and Sheffield offers languages like Czech and Luxembourgish :biggrin:
Original post by -raisa
I love all the languages that Sheffield offers! I would love to take up a third language, and Sheffield offers languages like Czech and Luxembourgish :biggrin:

Hahaha yeah luxemburgish just sounds so cool!!!!! haha even for its name :P
Reply 18
Hahaha yeah luxemburgish just sounds so cool!!!!! haha even for its name :P

Ikr? :smile:

probably not a very useful language, but very interesting nonetheless :smile:

what other unis are you going to be looking at?
Original post by -raisa
Ikr? :smile:

probably not a very useful language, but very interesting nonetheless :smile:

what other unis are you going to be looking at?

Hahaha yeah...i probably wont be studying it though :/
Ermm, lancaster, leeds, Royal holloway maybe, Heriot Watt, liverpool...and a few others :smile:
What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest