The Student Room Group

Oxford International Applicants

I am holding a conditional offer to study at Oxford this coming October. So here's the situation:

I was just recently notified by my college that the UK changed some of its student visa requirements effective of this year (I guess it's one of Cameron's numerous policies to cut on excessive immigrants entering the UK).

Basically, the notice said that I would have to satisfy some English language proficiency tests as per the United Kingdom Border Agency's new stipulations. My Oxford offer (surprisingly) does not lay any English language requirement which I think is because of the university's new policy to waive English proficiency for those who have been educated in an English-medium school for the past 2 years.

Anyway, are there any other international people out here in a similar situation? If so, what's your take on the whole matter. I will email my college later this week to confirm the status quo and if need be, I guess I'll sign up for the IELTS/TOEFL test.

I would be happy to converse with the visa officer in fluent English if that would convince them without having the hassle of taking a test to prove it....but I guess I have to go by the rule book :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! I am also an international offer holder :wink: Although I was not asked to provide evidence of my english proficiency because I am a citizen of an English speaking country :smile:

I believe it would be best to contact your college for more details. It wouldn't hurt to also telephone the UK Border Agency and request EXACTLY what you need to do. If it means taking a language test, then so be it! Your English is already fluent, taking a test will just reflect that on paper.
Reply 2
Original post by rohitronaldo
I am holding a conditional offer to study at Oxford this coming October. So here's the situation:

I was just recently notified by my college that the UK changed some of its student visa requirements effective of this year (I guess it's one of Cameron's numerous policies to cut on excessive immigrants entering the UK).

Basically, the notice said that I would have to satisfy some English language proficiency tests as per the United Kingdom Border Agency's new stipulations. My Oxford offer (surprisingly) does not lay any English language requirement which I think is because of the university's new policy to waive English proficiency for those who have been educated in an English-medium school for the past 2 years.

Anyway, are there any other international people out here in a similar situation? If so, what's your take on the whole matter. I will email my college later this week to confirm the status quo and if need be, I guess I'll sign up for the IELTS/TOEFL test.

I would be happy to converse with the visa officer in fluent English if that would convince them without having the hassle of taking a test to prove it....but I guess I have to go by the rule book :frown:

Hi there, actually I had been asked to do the same thing, to take the CEFR test and what not. But after I emailed the college correspondent asking whether they can waive the test since I already took general paper at A level and English at O level, the correspondent said they can. And she said that she will send the visa letter soon.

So maybe you can ask the same thing, in case you haven't done so already.
Reply 3
I live in uk and was checking requirements for international students yesterday when I read it.Confirm with your school first.Best of luck
Ahhh just got a reply from my college. Looks like it's destined that I take the IELTS haha.

My IB exams are underway right now, so I'm probably enrolling for a test date right after exams and getting this problem sorted. Oh well!
Reply 5
Original post by gandhistoto
Hi there, actually I had been asked to do the same thing, to take the CEFR test and what not. But after I emailed the college correspondent asking whether they can waive the test since I already took general paper at A level and English at O level, the correspondent said they can. And she said that she will send the visa letter soon.

So maybe you can ask the same thing, in case you haven't done so already.

Do you mean a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies)? Or is it something else?
Reply 6
Ahhh just got a reply from my college. Looks like it's destined that I take the IELTS haha.

My IB exams are underway right now, so I'm probably enrolling for a test date right after exams and getting this problem sorted. Oh well!

Wew, good luck for your exam and the test :smile:

Original post by Omio
Do you mean a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies)? Or is it something else?

Yup, it's the same thing I believe. I always say it as visa letter since i need that letter to apply for visa haha

Can you let me know how that went? They're making me do one as well and i'm about to graduate from my law degree at Bristol - -.
Reply 8
Original post by talespirit
Can you let me know how that went? They're making me do one as well and i'm about to graduate from my law degree at Bristol - -.

Wow, time really flies. I still remember you posting here as an applicant.:s-smilie:
Original post by hobnob
Wow, time really flies. I still remember you posting here as an applicant.:s-smilie:

haha, scary isnt it? :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Original post by talespirit
haha, scary isnt it? :s-smilie:

hi! i messed up my speaking part 2 where i took 2 long pauses because my topic was just so vague but in the other two parts, i was very fluent. i fear i won't get 7 in the speaking part. would oxford consider a score below 7?
Reply 11
Original post by nelz
hi! i messed up my speaking part 2 where i took 2 long pauses because my topic was just so vague but in the other two parts, i was very fluent. i fear i won't get 7 in the speaking part. would oxford consider a score below 7?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/apply/internat_students.html
So if your course isn't one of those requiring a score of 7.5 overall, your score in individual components can be as low as 6.5. If you were asked for the higher score, though, all individual components have to be at 7 or higher.
I'm from the States and am applying for 2012 entry, and I was just wondering if there were other international applicants who had gone through this process or are going through this process and maybe understand what the most important criteria are. Also, did you submit your high school or any college transcripts if you had them? It's so weird to see that none of the selection criteria includes transcripts, which are like the primary criteria in US schools. Do they just not matter?

As far as I understand, all I need to do is submit a UCAS application, SAT scores including 3 subject tests, and do an interview. I totally get that the interview is super hard, but actually looking at the sample interviews online it looks kind of fun even! And the personal statement probably matters a lot too.

Are any other international students just submitting SAT Scores? My school didn't really have AP classes so I don't have enough of those.
What program are you applying for? For certain courses at Oxford you *must* take an assessment.

What do you mean by "the most important criteria"? If you're referring to the most important part of your application, if you have the grades to meet the requirement, I'll echo everyone on TSR and say, your personal statement. TSR has a lot of info on the subject, such as what to talk about in your PS, sample PSes; as well, there is a forum for privately submitting your PS for editing/review by trusted editors. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Library

Aside from that, if you get in for an interview, you shouldn't pop the champagne quite yet, as it does have significant bearing on whether you'll get in. However, if you're acquainted with interviews, good at public speaking/communication, you shouldn't have much of an issue.

Finally, don't forget, as an Oxford applicant, you need to have your application sent/completed through UCAS by the 15th of October!
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I meant what were the most important and scrutinized aspects of the application. Like what took weight over other things. In the U.S., grades take precedence over standardized test scores - but the scores do matter - and the interview counts for basically nothing, while the personal statement is really more of a thing that can tip your application one way or another. The personal statement isn't so much a deciding factor. Basically, if the grades aren't up to par on your transcript, then nothing else matter. I'm curious how each component is weighed in the UK, particularly at Oxford, especially since applicants don't seem to have to submit transcripts.

By "assessment" do you mean like tests and written work required? Like the HAT (for history) and LNAT (for law)? Or is there something that wasn't on the website?!? Woah no I'm freaking out! I thought there was just a test,

And what do you mean by "if you have the grades"? Do you mean, like test scores and stuff? I'm asking cuz there doesn't seem to any call for transcripts in the "how to apply" sections, and I actually thought it was pretty weird. In the UK, does "grades" also mean "scores" for tests and stuff? The distinction is only a small one in America, but for the most part we distinguish scores for standardized tests as very different from school grades.

Also, are there any particularly good personal statements you've seen on the forums? Maybe you could direct me to it? Haha I'm such a pest!

And thanks for that link!

As for the deadline, I'm going to have almost everything ready by October 15, but I am taking a couple Subject Tests Oct 1 and the results come Oct 21, so I'll have to wait until then to give those. I emailed them asking them if that was okay, and I'm hoping that it is. I'm kind of thinking that since students in the UK don't have their A Levels by the time they apply, that maybe they'll be semi-lenient if my test scores a wee bit late and I have to mail them.

Thank you for such a detailed response!!! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I've seen at least one person on this board post that after asking the Oxford Admissions people they said subject test scores above 700 count like APs, but then I saw another person post that all the international offers they had heard about were people whose offers were conditional on their AP exams that year.

So, people do apply and get accepted based purely on SAT/ACT and SAT Subject Tests right (and of course all the other requirements including assessments and/or written work and UCAS and everything else)? And then if given an offer those offers are not conditional?
Original post by mikeandikes
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I meant what were the most important and scrutinized aspects of the application. Like what took weight over other things. In the U.S., grades take precedence over standardized test scores - but the scores do matter - and the interview counts for basically nothing, while the personal statement is really more of a thing that can tip your application one way or another. The personal statement isn't so much a deciding factor. Basically, if the grades aren't up to par on your transcript, then nothing else matter. I'm curious how each component is weighed in the UK, particularly at Oxford, especially since applicants don't seem to have to submit transcripts.

By "assessment" do you mean like tests and written work required? Like the HAT (for history) and LNAT (for law)? Or is there something that wasn't on the website?!? Woah no I'm freaking out! I thought there was just a test,

And what do you mean by "if you have the grades"? Do you mean, like test scores and stuff? I'm asking cuz there doesn't seem to any call for transcripts in the "how to apply" sections, and I actually thought it was pretty weird. In the UK, does "grades" also mean "scores" for tests and stuff? The distinction is only a small one in America, but for the most part we distinguish scores for standardized tests as very different from school grades.

Also, are there any particularly good personal statements you've seen on the forums? Maybe you could direct me to it? Haha I'm such a pest!

And thanks for that link!

As for the deadline, I'm going to have almost everything ready by October 15, but I am taking a couple Subject Tests Oct 1 and the results come Oct 21, so I'll have to wait until then to give those. I emailed them asking them if that was okay, and I'm hoping that it is. I'm kind of thinking that since students in the UK don't have their A Levels by the time they apply, that maybe they'll be semi-lenient if my test scores a wee bit late and I have to mail them.

Thank you for such a detailed response!!! :smile:

Again, what program are you applying for? Most courses at Oxford don't need an assessment, but some oversubscribed courses do (e.g. Econ & Management, PPE, etc.). Check on the Oxford website for your program, if under 'admissions requirements' it doesn't mention anything, you should be fine. SO DON'T FREAK OUT. :biggrin:

The grades as in your marks, scores, those things. I'm a bit iffy on this matter myself, but if your school is registered with UCAS, they can view your transcript. Otherwise, if you're applying individually, I think it's your referee who has to confirm your marks... and you need the transcript for the student visa I believe. :smile:

You have to submit your marks/scores/grades on the 'education' part of UCAS, I think it's called. Select your 'qualification', and then fill in the modules with your marks (to my knowledge, those are just the subjects you're taking in school). Then, under 'reference', you put in what your teachers 'predict' your grades will be by the end of the course. This way they sort of know how your academic standing is, and will likely send a conditional offer, providing you meet those grades. At least, that's what a few admissions tutors at UK unis have told me. XD

Hmm... on the matter of extending the deadline... I'm not sure if they will let you, but it IS only 6 days after. However, they might just ask your referee to 'predict' your scores. I'm really unclear on the dates for A-levels, but I think for UK students the applications are filled in with GCSEs and only *predicted* A-levels. So you would be in a similar boat as the UK applicants.

Ah, Wikipedia speaks!
University admissions
Because A-level students often apply to universities before they have taken their final exams, British universities (including Scottish universities, which receive many applicants taking A-levels) consider predicted A-level results when deciding whether applicants should be offered places. The predictions are made by students' teachers and can be unreliable. Thus, the acceptance of a student onto a course will normally be conditional on him or her actually achieving a minimum set of grades (for example, conditional offer of three A-levels at grades B-B-C). Universities may specify which subjects they wish these grades to be in (for example, conditional offer of grades A-A-B with a grade A in Mathematics). A-level grades are also sometimes converted into numerical scores, notably through the UCAS university admission system.[9] For example, under the UCAS system, an A* grade at A-level is worth 140 points, while an A is worth 120, a B is worth 100, a C is worth 80, a D is 60, and a E is worth 40; so a university may instead demand that an applicant achieve 280 points, instead of the equivalent offer of B-B-C. This allows greater flexibility to students, as 280 points could also, for example, be achieved through the combination A-B-D, which would not have met the requirements of a B-B-C offer because of the D grade. Or even a combination which is made up of more than 3 subjects (typically 4 or 5) but with lower grades. The points system also allows for non-academic input, such as higher level music grades or a Key Skills course
Hey, I applied from New Zealand last year and got an offer for History, so I'll see if I can help.
Oxford and Cambridge dont put a whole lot of emphasis on grades. I dont think they make up more than about 10% of the entire selection process. To them, A Levels test your ability to rote memorize material, not how well you can argue/think/adapt your mind to new information, which is what they care for.
I never had to submit transcripts throughout the entire process.
What subject are you applying to study?

I know the interviews online look easy, I thought the exact same thing, but they are WAY harder when your there in person than they look to a spectator. The interviews online are designed to give an impression of what they are like, while not scaring prospective applicants off, and thus they go very smoothly. Noones actual interview goes like that.
Original post by Tyrone Slothrop

Original post by Tyrone Slothrop
Hey, I applied from New Zealand last year and got an offer for History, so I'll see if I can help.
Oxford and Cambridge dont put a whole lot of emphasis on grades. I dont think they make up more than about 10% of the entire selection process. To them, A Levels test your ability to rote memorize material, not how well you can argue/think/adapt your mind to new information, which is what they care for.
I never had to submit transcripts throughout the entire process.
What subject are you applying to study?

I know the interviews online look easy, I thought the exact same thing, but they are WAY harder when your there in person than they look to a spectator. The interviews online are designed to give an impression of what they are like, while not scaring prospective applicants off, and thus they go very smoothly. Noones actual interview goes like that.

Oh that's PERFECT. A former international applicant!
Even though you didn't have to submit your transcript, on the UCAS application did you have to put down courses and grades and predicted grades just like what would be on a transcript? And was your offer conditional? Also, did you submit A-Levels, because I'll be submitting SAT scores since I'm in the States and I'm a wee little worried about how those will go over. The website said that they're given the same consideration, but I don't know. Oh and what college are you at?

Wow, I thought the interview would be JUST like online! It's good I know the truth now. I'll be properly freaked out and prepared. Thanks so much for the wake up call! The thing is, I think I'll get a skype interview if at all, since I'm in the States and couldn't possibly go there just for an interview. I really want an interview though! They seem to matter a lot.
Original post by mikeandikes
Oh that's PERFECT. A former international applicant!
Even though you didn't have to submit your transcript, on the UCAS application did you have to put down courses and grades and predicted grades just like what would be on a transcript? And was your offer conditional? Also, did you submit A-Levels, because I'll be submitting SAT scores since I'm in the States and I'm a wee little worried about how those will go over. The website said that they're given the same consideration, but I don't know. Oh and what college are you at?

Wow, I thought the interview would be JUST like online! It's good I know the truth now. I'll be properly freaked out and prepared. Thanks so much for the wake up call! The thing is, I think I'll get a skype interview if at all, since I'm in the States and couldn't possibly go there just for an interview. I really want an interview though! They seem to matter a lot.

Yes you have to do that. Your grades go in Education as I've mentioned, and predicted ones go under Reference. :smile:

Also, one of my acquaintances (2011 entry) mentioned he had an interview with someone from Cambridge. From the way he was talking, it sounded like he had an in-person interview. Does the same apply for Oxford? I personally wouldn't mind traveling to go to the real thing, but is that true or did I interpret his words incorrectly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending